Calling all contacts users!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Joe Westing
(pedro87) - F
Calling all contacts users! on 06/15/2007 15:53:06 MDT Print View

To all contacts users, what do you use to sterilize your hands before putting on or taking off your contacts? I just very recently got my glasses replaced with contacts, so any tips for using contacts in the wilderness would be appreciated.

Edited by pedro87 on 06/15/2007 15:53:38 MDT.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Calling all contacts users! on 06/15/2007 16:11:04 MDT Print View

I like to wash with Cetaphil, then rinse with water and dry before cleaning mine. You can also use an alcohol-based cleanser, just make very sure to rinse it off well before handling your contacts. The eye-burn in the morning is pretty awful if I don't do a good job.

Now get out there and buy yourself three or four pairs of real sunglasses!

Russell Swanson
(rswanson) - F

Locale: Midatlantic
Re: Calling all contacts users! on 06/20/2007 10:07:35 MDT Print View

It's pretty tough to get your hands clean enough after a few days in the backcountry. I leave mine in, and have for up to 4 days solid. I use AMO's BLink and Clean drops to clear out some of the protein deposits. They were recommended by my optometrist as being one of the few drops manufactured that actually help clean lenses while you wear them. Here's a link: http://www.amoeyecare.com/OurProducts/OurProducts.asp?srchtype=1&id=12

Dangerous, I know, but so far no ill effects. My optometrist almost fell out of her chair when I explained what I do, so I don't recommmend the practice but it sure is convenient.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Calling all contacts users! on 06/20/2007 10:38:06 MDT Print View

I've left my contacts in for a week straight. Lots of eye drops were needed towards the end...
On most of my hikes (weekenders normally) I just leave my contacts in the whole time and use eye drops in the morning. Longer than that and I try to take them out a few times. I just try to get the major debris off of my hands with water. Even at home I often don't thoroughly wash my hands before handling my contacts. They're lucky to get new solution every few days...
I'm probably not the best to take contact advice from. I stretched a 6 months supply of contacts out for about 2 years. Needless to say my optometrist isn't pleased with my behavior.

Adam

Kevin Stephens
(KyKevin) - F

Locale: Land of Arches
.. on 06/21/2007 23:36:54 MDT Print View

I too tend to streach my contacts to about twice their recommended time....have not went blind yet, and if im going for a week or less I never even take my contacts out...just make sure you have eye drops handy when you wake up, cause you will need em.......not condoning my practice, just saying it can be done....

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Re: .. on 06/25/2007 16:36:14 MDT Print View

I never sterilized my hands, even at home. I would just wash them as best I could, and store the contacts at night in solution. Throw them away after 30 days. Then I got lasered.

Edited by skinewmexico on 06/27/2007 17:41:26 MDT.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Lasik on 06/26/2007 21:19:32 MDT Print View

I had the same question, and asked Brian Robinson, who goes on LONG hikes. He wears glasses (which has its own potential problems).

I just got Lasik surgery, and am very happy with it, although it cost $4100. Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas, and no Cocoon pants!

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Locale: Washington State
Re: Lasik on 06/26/2007 23:09:10 MDT Print View

Hey Thomas,

Congratulations on your Lasik! I had that a few years back. It took me a year to pay it off but I have been SO happy with it! No contacts to hassle with. No glasses to fog up. No worries about losing my glasses and having to feel my way home. No more Van Gogh Starry Nights. It's amazing. In fact, I totally take it for granted now.

Lasik is incredible. From 20/1200 to better than 20/20. Remarkable.

dj

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Locale: Washington State
Re: Re: Lasik on 06/26/2007 23:10:29 MDT Print View

Oh- and did I mention the weight I saved with Lasik? ounces, I'm telling you, OUNCES!

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Lasik on 06/27/2007 17:43:33 MDT Print View

So how long did it take your eyes to stabilize after lasik? I'm still waiting, although my problems may be more related to the monovision I had done. I used to work for a company that would pay 100% of your lasik (that was their excuse to treat you like crap), so before I quit, I had mine done.

Pamela Wyant
(RiverRunner) - F - M
Re: Calling all contacts users! on 06/27/2007 23:42:30 MDT Print View

I just wash my hands off with treated water (I use hand sanitizer regularly throughout the day after bathroom breaks & before eating, and usually wash off with a little Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap or plain water before bedtime, so my hands aren't very dirty when I get up in the mornings). Then I use cleaner on the lenses, rinse it off with treated water, then add wetting solution to put the lenses in. I wear gas permeables, so I wouldn't leave them in all night. (Maybe they also aren't as susceptible to picking up germs as soft lenses?)

Lasik would be nice. It would be great to wake up in the morning & be able to see right off. I've been considering it, but I still have a fear of letting someone laser my eyes.

Pam

Miguel Marcos
(miguelmarcos) - F

Locale: Middle Iberia
Re: Re: Calling all contacts users! on 06/28/2007 02:23:03 MDT Print View

That fear is understandable. I had it done but I wasn't apprehensive about. Quite a few of my work colleagues had it done, a number of them with the same doctor, who I chose to go with, the kind of doctor you feel relaxed and reassured with. It's a big decision. I am tremendously happy with the results myself and it's led me to lead a more active life (exercise, getting out more).

Joe Westing
(pedro87) - F
Re: Calling all contacts users! on 06/29/2007 10:51:47 MDT Print View

Thanks for all the advice. I prefer to take them out before I go to sleep (can't stand the dry eyes), so I plan to carry a small amount of solution in BPL Dropper bottles on an upcoming Adirondacks canoe trip (leaving tomorrow :)
I'll clean my hands as best I can with water and some hand sanitizer.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Lasik on 07/09/2007 19:48:57 MDT Print View

Joe,
I could see well the next day after LASIK. I also got a slight mono vision, which I notice sometimes when looking at things up close (~5"). I hoping that just takes some adjustment, but if it stays like that it's not really a problem.

My doctor is very big on artificial tears, so I will be using drops every two hrs duringthe day and a thicker version at night for up to 1 year. I'm not sure why so long since the doctor just said that he has had good success, and why mess with it.

Rich Steixner
(cameraboy) - F
Lasik on 07/10/2007 05:56:55 MDT Print View

I had it a year and a half ago, I could see perfectly two hours and a nap after the surgery. It took about two months until I could touch my eyes without worrying about messing something up, and only a few weeks until I could go wakeboarding again.

Best 3K I ever spent. Some people pay 3K for a plasma HD television. I paid 3k for the WHOLE WORLD to be in high definition again.

Stats I read pointed to a very small number of complications, but the majority of those complications were due to patient neglect anyway.

I'm convinced it's safe with an experienced surgeon.