Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
3rd annual BPL Spring Run Adventure
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: run on Friday on 09/23/2013 08:39:49 MDT Print View

Before, after, either way we will get in some downtime.

I will try to get out there on Thursday.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Thursday on 09/23/2013 17:54:18 MDT Print View

I plan on being there Thursday as well, might be a little late, but there nonetheless :) I'll have all Friday (probably most of Sunday too) to hang, Angel's Landing sounds like a must do

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
5th on 09/24/2013 23:00:23 MDT Print View

We will be there, not sure if we are driving or flying. That isn't the most spectacular drive from western WA.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

cheap tickets on 09/25/2013 07:12:44 MDT Print View

in my searching it sure appears there are nice cheap tickets going into Las Vegas, seems like cheaper than anywhere else regardless of how far- I'm sure in the hopes you'll leave a lot more $ behind than what you came with :)

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: cheap tickets on 09/25/2013 07:58:56 MDT Print View

not only the plane tickets, the hotels are cheap, the meals are cheap (sometimes free), a wonderful place to try your luck at life's favorite pasttimes :-)

We will be driving, its only 8-9 hours for us, but too soon to think about right now, there's training to do ...

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Re: cheap tickets on 09/25/2013 09:11:49 MDT Print View

I did a quick search yesterday and found airfare for about $160 one way out of ol' El Paso into Vegas. Much cheaper than me driving my big old Toyota at a measly 13mpg. Not sure if these will go up or down in price.

I'm heading up to Grants, NM on Friday for the Mt Taylor 50K. The course is awesome, with 8 miles on the CDT ad a summit up Mt Taylor (11,300') in the last few miles. I haven't raced in a while and never seem to do as well as my fitness would indicate going into races. I'm hoping everything clicks (*no debilitating cramps) and I have a good run. Abstaining from beer the past few weeks has been tough, so Ill have a few IPAs waiting at the end.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: cheap tickets on 09/25/2013 09:22:08 MDT Print View

Good luck Eugene, hope it all comes together out there.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: cheap tickets on 09/25/2013 09:40:19 MDT Print View

Eugene - just think of it as a training run for the first 20, and a sprint for the last 10. You'll do great.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Woohoo on 09/25/2013 14:23:42 MDT Print View

Sounds awesome, good luck. I have no racing experience, so I don't have any advice, other than to enjoy being in such a cool place. Looking forward to the report!

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Mt Taylor on 09/25/2013 16:59:18 MDT Print View

Eugene, may the running gods shine on you Saturday- looks like a very challenging (but beautiful) course- best of luck!

Mike

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: cheap tickets on 09/25/2013 18:03:31 MDT Print View

Mucho success on your run! Sounds like a blast. I'd join you if I could! (Ummmm, for the beer at the end, that is....)

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Bedrock on 09/26/2013 23:55:22 MDT Print View

I'm a little over a week into my new Bedrock sandals, and I'm really diggin em. My main concern with huaraches was that they wouldn't stay put, but the bike tube rubber on these really works great. Just plain fun to run in :)

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Re: Mt Taylor on 09/27/2013 09:54:21 MDT Print View

Thanks gents, loaded up and heading on the road here in a few. Supposed to be below freezing at the start tomorrow and I'm having a difficult time remembering what that feels like wearing shorts. The very little Swedish blood in me is decidedly absent when the temperature drops. The inability to grow a beard doesn't help either.

Art, I'll be taking it easy at the start this time around. I appreciate the tip and Iet you know know how things shake out.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Zion run on 09/29/2013 16:20:29 MDT Print View

Hey fellas! Wyatt Earp told me the gang was getting together again! Yee-haw!

Life's been really jacking up my running lately, but hell, by April I should be able to make something happen. Especially with winter coming, it's the best time to run here in the the San Gabes. Really glad to see how well Mike and Eugene have been doing, sound like you guys are having a blast. Looking forward to an update from Eugene soon. It's looking like cramps are just going to remain part of the deal for me, as I've realized after my little Joshua Tree escapade that I've had them really all my life. However, now I know, and I've adjusted myself accordingly, so it's on like donkey kong.

Craig's bringing the family on this one so i'll be cruising the van and just sleeping in it. Knowing my wife though, she's gonna jump in last minute and drag the whole bunch of kids with her! We were out in Zion recently for the first time and they fell for the place big time. I know I say this every time, but I'm super excited about this one!! No funny business this time. Okay maybe minor cramping but none of this suffering I did the last couple times! It's on!

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Comparisons on 09/30/2013 10:59:54 MDT Print View

>"Zion has it's fair share of ups and downs (but not nearly as brutal as say the Grand Canyon), my wild guess is when you average the runnable sections and the walking sections- it will be in 3.5-4 mph range"

Mike/Wyatt/Agent K: I only did 28 miles of the R2R2R (I should have HYOH'ed and not run any of it), but have done a lot of hiking in GCNP. By the numbers, a Zion traverse looks to have about as much vertical (10,000 gain, 10,000 loss) as a R2R2R (11,000 gain, 11,000 loss) spread over a slightly longer distance (48 miles OW versus 42 miles RT). So what do you mean by "not nearly as brutal"? It looks like more varied slopes, but almost as much vertical and 14% more horizontal than R2R2R.

I have a theory that Half Dome is consistently easier than South Rim-River-South Rim despite HD being longer horizontal and at a higher elevation because HD is more varied. I find GCNP harder on my legs because I'm taking the same damn step up the same damn slope the whole way up (and down). I feel less sore after hiking a variety of terrain. Your thoughts?

Anyway, it would be great to see you guys again, have a training goal through the long, Alaskan winter, and see some pretty country in April. I'd do it hiking-only which means starting 4 hours earlier or ending 4 hours later, which is fine with me. My only hesitation is a planned family trip to Italy the second half of March, so it's a tougher sales job to propose, "And 4 days after we get back, and you're getting slammed at the office, I'll pop off to Zion." I'll be looking for the right time to ask.

peter vacco
(fluff@inreach.com) - M

Locale: no. california
Re: Comparisons on 09/30/2013 16:28:26 MDT Print View

" I have a theory that Half Dome is consistently easier than South Rim-River-South Rim despite HD being longer horizontal and at a higher elevation because HD is more varied. "

ohh lordy, it just Has to be. i mean, some old and fat people do half dome. i am qualify most thoroughly in both ways, and even i got away with one last romp up it. (was not a big deal)

HD has that long flat spot in the middle that sort of lets you rest, and often, a nice selection of cuties to keep your mind occupied.

in my op, you get better points for r2rxxx .. whatever acrynom is used, than for half dome.
heck, i seen asian moms in low heels at the head of Nevada falls, and that's what, about 1/3 of the way up.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Hd on 09/30/2013 17:22:27 MDT Print View

"HD has that long flat spot in the middle that sort of lets you rest, and often, a nice selection of cuties to keep your mind occupied."

Haha! Skurka didn't provide any specs in that regard...

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Zion run on 09/30/2013 18:01:59 MDT Print View

Adan- I say the same thing every time as well, but heck it's true- I'm excited, glad you're in :)

David- would be great if you could make it, missed you at Joshua Tree! I say "not as brutal" as the elevation (gain/loss) doesn't come in one fell swoop (well make that two fell swoops :) )- 47 miles regardless of terrain is going to be brutal, I have no doubts about that, but brutal in a fun way!

Mike

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Re: Re: Zion run on 09/30/2013 22:16:47 MDT Print View

I had a mediocre race but one hell of a weekend up at Mt. Taylor. The overall experience was stellar. I highly recommend all of you putting that race on your calendar next year and coming down for it. For you guys in CA, it's only a 10hr drive from LA. Why run it? 100% of the race proceeds go on to benefit the Nideiltihi Native Elite Runners and the native running community in the four corners region benefits immensely from us sharing their sacred mountain. In addition to that, 8 miles of the course is run on sweet CDT singletrack, with much of the course running through aspen groves and stretches along trails that wind up and around the wide base of Mt. Taylor. If any of you guys are interested in coming out to NM sometime, that would be a good time to meet up and race together.

The race started at 630 and we ran east to greet the sun as it crested over the distant Sandia Mtns. and mesas far to the east. It was around 24F at the race start with a stiff wind as we made our way up the first steep climb. The first half was a cruise, cold and windy, but the morning was beautiful and the scenery was blowing my mind. I felt great heading into mile 16 at the Rock Tank aid station, only 10 minutes behind my running mates Dan Carter and Clifton Trujillo, but that wouldn't last. Maybe one mile after leaving the station I started having the first bout of cramps, which eventually led to me laid out next to the trail pounding out a locked up right quad until it released. I did my best to rub them out and stretch but they would nag me the remainder of the race. My goal was to run sub 7 and ideally run around 6hrs30mins which was totally doable, but the cramps killed the second half of my run. I salvaged the run and crossed the line in 7hrs. 30mins. with a huge smile, shook some hands, exchanged some hugs, and made my way towards the keg of IPA.

I'll be back next Sept. for another run out there and I hope some of you guys might consider running it with me.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

way to go on 10/01/2013 01:43:14 MDT Print View

Nice work man, sounds like a good time. 7:30 is a burly time, and 24degrees and windy is a hell of a way to start.