Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
3rd annual BPL Spring Run Adventure
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: 3 weeks to go on 03/14/2014 00:42:49 MDT Print View

Do we know how we're getting to the start in the morning? Non-running driver volunteer/Drunken Hairy Cheerleader... I'm guessing?

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: 3 weeks to go on 03/14/2014 19:41:28 MDT Print View

^ that would be my best guess- worse case we can drive a vehicle (or two if needed) and pick them up later

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Trail report on 03/14/2014 22:32:31 MDT Print View

As of yesterday, when my 9-year-old and I were hiking in Zion up to Angel's Landing (5,790 feet above sea level), there was no snow, no ice, and no trace of snow or ice anywhere we hiked nor any of the backcountry visible from on top. It was usually 35F lows and 70F high until some clouds came in keeping the night warmer (46F) and the day cooler (64F). 48F and blowing 20 mph, gusting to 30 mph was brisk in t-shirt and shorts even with the workout of climbing up the chained portion, but we weren't up there very long. For any long run in the more wind-exposed stretches, one would want at least wind pants and a puffy or fleece torso layer. Most people had twice that much on.

The Virgin River flow through the Zion Narrows was pretty low - about 55-60 cfs - but cold, maybe 42F. I did okay in fleece socks in trail shoes, but neoprene booties would have been nicer.

Happy Trails, guys!

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Trail report on 03/16/2014 08:10:21 MDT Print View

Thanks David,

very helpful.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: Logistics - Getting close now... on 03/24/2014 12:07:10 MDT Print View

David, thanks much for the report on trail conditions. I thought I replied here a week ago, but maybe I was daydreaming. I picked up a light down vest based on your recommendation... a piece of gear I've actually never owned.

So we're getting pretty close now. Sounds like the running pack is dwindling in number. On one hand, that mainly sux :( but on the other the company will be appreciated in camp before and after the run. Hoping this means we'll have our morning "shuttle" covered.

I read there's a general store near Watchman. Anyone know if it should be open and has a little bit of food? I'm not really sure what I'm doing for lunch and dinner prior to the run and might lean on the store a little if it's legit... 'specially for beerz. Who's bringing an icechest?!? << most important logistical detail of the trip.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Logistics - Getting close now... on 03/25/2014 07:29:11 MDT Print View

Jacob- the campground is very close to the small town of Springdale, there must be a store there some place.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

3rd annual BPL Spring Run Adventure - A Good Time on 04/14/2014 10:26:46 MDT Print View

Thanks to all of you who helped make this happen; I had a great time and the only thing I would have changed is somehow re-aligning the planets so everyone who originally wanted to attend could have made it.

It was good seeing most of the Spring Run crew from last year and hanging out with you guys again. We really should get together more often, esp those of us here in California. If nothing else it's an excuse to go south or north for the occasional trip.

Mike, thanks for spearheading this and getting things moving. I hope that heel mends quickly for you so you can get back on the trail this Spring.

John and Art, even though I'm pretty sure we cheated death a few times in the Yaris, many thanks for the transport to and from the airport and helping with my other logistics.

I still need to catch up with Adan and Craig, but I'm betting those two had a crazy fun time down in the cayons.

Zion was so inspiring. I may go back this fall or late summer with my family. In fact I may run it again while I'm there! Now that I've established my PFKT I'd like to see how much I can smash it by, really though I don't need much of an excuse to redo that scenery!

Here's my trip report and photos...

http://hikeitlikeit.com/2014/traversing-zion/

PEACE OUT!

Edited by JacobD on 04/14/2014 10:27:27 MDT.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Zion on 04/14/2014 15:52:41 MDT Print View

Dude your images are so good. I will try and gather up a few of mine very soon and post them up, but they wont compare to yours. Youre making me want to toss my phone and buy an actual fotography machine.

I had such a good time on this trip. Zion is one of the most strikingly beautiful landscapes I've ever seen. And all these guys are alot of fun to chill with. I wish my fitness could have been there to do a big run with you guys, but I also feel very lucky to see those canyons the way I did.

Sorry we missed Mike and Eugene and others. These events will always be sketchy commitments, with travel, cost, family and all the other things. As you know, I almost didnt make it myself, but I'm very glad I did.

I hope we meet on the trail again soon buddy.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: 3rd annual BPL Spring Run Adventure - A Good Time on 04/15/2014 09:02:46 MDT Print View

Great trip report and photos Jacob.

Maybe add this report to the Trip Reports forum also, so those researching the run can more easily find your report.

hmmm ... what should we do next ?

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: 3rd annual BPL Spring Run Adventure - A Good Time on 04/15/2014 09:54:46 MDT Print View

It was a fun weekend guys, though we had entirely different adventures.

What's next?
Personally, I don't see much trail-based ultra stuff in my near future.

But I'm already hatching ideas to return to Utah for a multiday backpacking/canyoneering trip late spring/early summer.

Rappels, swims, chimneys, climbs, throwing packs across pools and down slots...it all tickled my fancy pretty good. A new canyon rope is in the mail....

I'll post a few canyon pics on this thread later.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: 3rd annual BPL Spring Run Adventure - A Good Time on 04/15/2014 10:22:06 MDT Print View

Adan, Thanks man. I was pretty happy with how the photos turned out; that tends to happen when the place and people are inspiring. The camera was a Sony RX100. I just finished a write up about it and will be posting to the blog soon for those curious. From what I've seen of your cell photos and Craig's GoPro stills... you guys both have a good eye, a little more tech in the camera department would probably go a long way.

Art, Thanks, glad you enjoyed the report. I'm probably not going to post anything in the TR forum; I'm self conscious about too much blog spamming. As far as what to do next, well not sure about *next*, but for the next run, something not quite as tough probably :) I'm curious what we might find up around Durango Co. that would fit the bill. When I have some time, I'll start poking around.

Craig, I'd love to go back to Zion. I think the next trip I need to take my family with me. That doesn't necessarily mean that I'll be tied up with family fun the whole time and might be able to get out for something like a canyon or even short backpack trip. If you think your timing could be mid June (our summer break up here) please give me a shout!

I'm thinking about *maybe* going back in late summer / early fall to repeat the run also...

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: 3rd annual BPL Spring Run Adventure - A Good Time on 04/15/2014 10:36:40 MDT Print View

Yeah, those were some amazing pics you took Jacob.

I'll be in Utah for the entire month of July camping with my family. Will deifinitely be doing Keyhole and some of the easier canyons with my kids when I'm there.

If I'm back for a canyoneering trip, it'll be during the second to last week of June. Adan and are are figuring out details right now. Not sure if it'll happen just yet or not.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: Re: Re: 3rd annual BPL Spring Run Adventure - A Good Time on 04/15/2014 11:11:00 MDT Print View

Thanks Craig, yours too from the canyons. Looking forward to seeing the rest of what you guys did.

I've done some canyoneering before but I'd need quick a refresher. I don't own any gear but can get a harness and helmet easily enough. I'm not sure on our timing either but it's possible I could get away around the end of June if you guys will put up with me.

Who knows, we may see you around the campground this summer. We need to figure out what to do with our kids too; we were just talking about it last night and don't have any plans yet. I'm sure they'd have fun exploring by the river, doing some short hikes, and taking in the scenery. No canyons for them just yet though :)

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Zion Canyoneering on 04/15/2014 22:54:31 MDT Print View

posted in trip reports...

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=90089&skip_to_post=767193#767193

Edited by Lopez on 04/17/2014 11:32:54 MDT.