Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
3rd annual BPL Spring Run Adventure
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Mt Taylor on 10/01/2013 07:27:38 MDT Print View

Eugene- congrats, sounds like a great event. I watched a great indy movie called "Racing the Rez", they chronicled two reservation teams throughout their season, tremendous movie and very inspirational. I'll definitely consider it for next year, maybe you can come up here and catch a race (and take in some sights) :)

Mike

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Mt Taylor on 10/01/2013 08:02:04 MDT Print View

Great effort Eugene. sorry to hear about the cramps, caused by the cold ??
Sounds like a beautiful place to run.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Mt Taylor on 10/03/2013 11:50:59 MDT Print View

Eugene, Taylor looks superb, sounds like you had yourself some fun out there. Maybe cramps slowed you down a bit, but it sounds like they had no effect at all on your enjoyment of it. congrats man.

If you decided to round up a crew and do that mountain on our own, I would be down for that. I've never quite gotten into the organized race idea, but I might be open to trying something like that eventually, especially for a good cause.

Mostly, thanks for the inspiration man. I get alot out of everybody's trip reports on here so lets keep em coming guys!

Jeff Gerke
(mtnrunner) - M

Locale: Utah
Re: 3rd annual BPL Spring Run Adventure- Zion Traverse 4/5/14 on 10/06/2013 11:30:18 MDT Print View

The first Saturday of April may work for me. I'll be watching this thread.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Blue Mtn 30k on 10/06/2013 17:15:31 MDT Print View

^ sounds good :)

I'm happy to report my first almost mid-pack race finish- Blue Mtn 30k in MIssoula- several good climbs, but nothing bordering on ridiculous, lots of runnable sections- a little technical, but it keeps you on your toes! The weather was almost perfect- race started out at 30F, finished it was low 50's- nice :)

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Blue Mtn 30k on 10/06/2013 18:16:48 MDT Print View

^ Solid Mike!

Sounds like you're making the best of the fall season right now.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Training Thread? on 10/06/2013 18:47:56 MDT Print View

Congrats to both Mike and Eugene on the recent runs.

Anyone want to start a training thread like we had for the R2R2R?
Adan is the only other person I run with down here, so bringing you guys in for support would be helpful to me. Anyone that wants to give me a verbal a$$ kicking for not getting any miles in is welcome to do so. I have a neck injury from surfing right now and will be easing up for a few weeks...a good time to get a running habit started again.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: Training Thread? on 10/13/2013 11:33:34 MDT Print View

Does BPL no longer let us "F" (for FUN) members receive thread updates? I haven't gotten a single one, and have been missing out on all the discussion. Anywhoo... I'll manually follow along.

Re: the proposed date in April - sounds good to me.

Re: the direction - East to West gets the big climb out of the way early, correct? If so, and if that provides a bailout at ~30 miles in, it seems to make a lot of sense. I'd much rather face that big climb at the start than at the end.

Re: the pace - I plan on being at the back whatever that means. Not sure how I'll fare on this one, but my personal goal would be finishing in under 13 hours.

Re: Eugene and Mike's races - Congrats guys. I need to get running asap, will start tomorrow! Been a looong summer of relative lethargy.

Re: Craig's photo of Kikuchiyo - Good stuff, that used to be my avatar :)

Re: training thread - I'm in! Just don't laugh at my starting mileages, like I said, I haven't been running... my activities this summer closely resemble Doug's training program.

Questions on my brain...
- From what I've read I don't assume water will be an issue, just a matter of carrying enough between sources. I've read a little about the various spots to camel up, have any of you checked this out, and if so what's your plan?

- Are we carrying all of our calories this time, or will it be possible to do a single re-supply at some point? My impression was, the former.

- I have a runner friend who is interested in joining if everyone is ok with it. He's in good shape and a pretty chilled out guy. Anyone object to a non-BPL'er joining us?

Other...
- Sandra D will be along for support once again.

- It's possible that I'm about to take a dirt nap and none of the above will be pertinent. I have to meet up with a cardiologist soon. My heart was doing some strange stuff about a month ago. Got checked out by the doc, hooked up to robots and stuff... everything looked fine, so I'm not sure what's up. I'll keep you posted or, if I just die, then remember my mantra: A.B.B ...always be berserking!

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Zion on 10/13/2013 12:14:56 MDT Print View

west to east does provide a drop out option @ ~ 34 miles, however the steepest climb comes shortly after that point

there should be decent water at that time of the year, I'm going to bring my steripen for fill ups

there really is only one decent resupply point and that's at the 34 mile point, so even w/ a re-supply you'll have to carry sufficient calories for at least that long

I sure don't see any problem w/ a non-bpler joining in the fun

hope you get a clean bill of health and can join us!

Bruce LaBelle
(blabelle) - F - MLife

Locale: Davis, CA or on an adventure
Zion Traverse on 10/17/2013 23:51:34 MDT Print View

I might be interested in joining you for the Zion traverse if that would be OK. It would be a nice change for me to have a spring adventure run to focus on. I've been mostly a lurker on BPL, but have been doing UL backpacking and trail running for a long time. Let me know if you want more info about me.

Bruce

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Zion on 10/18/2013 06:46:37 MDT Print View

Bruce- would be great if you can make it :) Craig and Adan build a large fire!

Mike

Cory McArtor
(like2bsailing) - F
I'm in! on 11/27/2013 16:23:40 MST Print View

If you all are up for another lurker I'd love to come. I just ran my first race after a 2 year break from organized runs and have a 50k in December. I need to work on endurance, but I should be the there by April.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: I'm in! on 11/27/2013 19:19:51 MST Print View

Cory- not a problem at all, looking forward to seeing old friends and new! This has the makings for another great run and get together

Mike

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Welcome on 11/27/2013 19:38:30 MST Print View

Cory, my only caution is the reputation you'll get from hanging out with us.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Re: I'm in! on 11/27/2013 22:39:50 MST Print View

Cory, looking forward to meeting you in April.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Re: 3rd annual BPL Spring Run Adventure- Zion Traverse 4/5/14 on 11/29/2013 21:17:11 MST Print View

*wrong thread.

Edited by Eugeneius on 11/29/2013 21:22:06 MST.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Re: Re: 3rd annual BPL Spring Run Adventure- Zion Traverse 4/5/14 on 12/01/2013 11:14:20 MST Print View

Took a few lazy minutes to skim over the heap of Zion Traverse writeups on the web. I think running E to W and getting the biggest climb out of the way early is the way to go, judging from the reports of other runners. With the exception of finishing out some of the final miles through the Hop Valley in life sucking sand on sacked legs, the biggest plus to running E>W is avoiding that large climb out of the Grotto/E. Rim late in the day. I would also love to begin the descent below the Rim just as the sun is rising. That could really make a difference in lifting the spirits and setting the tone for a long day of running Zion.

What are your thoughts?

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: 3rd annual BPL Spring Run Adventure- Zion Traverse 4/5/14 on 12/01/2013 13:06:25 MST Print View

The only problem I can see with running E -> W is people finishing at Lee's Pass very late. Presuming we camp in the valley, it's easily a 1.5 hour drive away. It would take a lot of work to get enough cars out there there the day before and then somehow get back to start at the East Rim. Doing it in the morning is out- it would be nearly three hours of driving round trip. Given people will be trickling in at very different times, I don't know how we'd get everyone back; we couldn't have a paid shuttle waiting for us for hours and hours...If we run W-> E we can get a shuttle to drop everyone off at Lee's Pass early and essentially run home.

Another option is staying at the private campground at the East Rim. It's exactly one mile of road from the East Rim trailhead. People could trickle back in to camp whenever they wanted to without having to coordinate any rides.

If anyone knows how to do a shuttle going from E -> W, I'm all ears. As for running, I have absolutely no preferences, it's just a matter of shuttle logistics.

I guess we could have a shuttle meet us at Lee's Pass the day before, leave some cars there, and have it take us back to camp?

Edited by xnomanx on 12/01/2013 13:12:37 MST.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: 3rd annual BPL Spring Run Adventure- Zion Traverse 4/5/14 on 12/01/2013 19:45:46 MST Print View

I was thinking about this some more tonight….

Why not have two separate groups run in two separate directions?

Some people were concerned about having the Grotto as a bailout point…which only works if running W->E. If others are looking for a faster time, they can run E->W for the reasons Eugene mentions.

Drivers bring spare keys to give to opposite direction runners and we can drive each other's cars home with no shuttles needed. Two cars at either end would probably have us covered.

I'm not worried about splitting into two different direction groups; half of us won't see each other once the event starts anyway. Running in two groups would ensure everyone bumps into each other somewhere….

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 3rd annual BPL Spring Run Adventure- Zion Traverse 4/5/14 on 12/01/2013 20:17:07 MST Print View

I have not yet studied the course or the camping possibilities, but my first reaction is to think that two groups in opposite directions could potentially create more problems than it solves. it also makes camping all together a bit more problematic RE. the early start. this would not be my first choice of plans.

it seems there will be some coming who will not be doing the run. and there are/is one or more spots to check on people. I think this is just more easily accomplished by volunteers who are not running if everyone is going in one direction.
as to east-west or west east, again I need to study the course to comment.

but if there is a bail out spot at mile 35 or so ... no one who can not do at least 35 miles should even be attempting this. I realize we want to encourage any and all to challenge themselves, but then the responsibility is for each to be prepared and know his/her limits.

I'll take a closer look at the route and comment more.