Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
3rd annual BPL Spring Run Adventure
Display Avatars Sort By:
Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: time on 09/19/2013 07:28:42 MDT Print View

my guess is most if not all who join this adventure will be in the 3.0 to 4.0 mph range. there is a lot of fast power walking involved that gets lumped in to the term running.
efficiency of time is as important as moving pace.
a long break can really drop the "overall" pace.
not going out too fast in the first third is critical also.

Edited by asandh on 09/20/2013 07:48:05 MDT.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
3-4 on 09/19/2013 17:47:01 MDT Print View

I've heard there is quite a bit of sand on this route? I'm not sure but that sounds like something that would suck around mile 40. We just moved to a beach house so maybe I can call running on the beach my Zion Training Plan, make it sound serious ;)

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
too fast early on 09/19/2013 17:47:58 MDT Print View

I know a couple of blokes that might have done that last Spring :)

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

setting a date on 09/21/2013 12:42:10 MDT Print View

Does the first Sat in April, April 5 work for everyone? The sooner I get a date, the better it is for me.

My plan is to travel Thursday- hang Friday, run Sat, hang Sunday and travel back Monday

thanks

Mike

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: setting a date on 09/21/2013 12:59:55 MDT Print View

That date works perfectly for me Mike.
I'll likely bring my family up for this one.
We'd stay Thursday, Fri, and Sat nights, leaving Sunday.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

date on 09/21/2013 13:16:08 MDT Print View

well- let's go w/ that, I'll update the first post :)

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: setting a date on 09/22/2013 09:10:48 MDT Print View

April 5 works fine for me,
and for John V. also.
at least at this point.
never really know what I'm doing this far in advance.

Slaton Whatley
(AlpinistoOutdoors)

Locale: Catalinas, Saguaro, Grand Canyon
First time seeing this on 09/22/2013 11:12:53 MDT Print View

Hey everyone! I just stumbled across this thread and got really excited. I've been running again for about 8 months now and loving every second of it (after years of not running really at all). I live a few hours from Grand Canyon and plan on doing some running (if I can ever stop backpacking long enough) up there this fall/winter.

I'm far from this distance but think I could do it and would love to give it a try. Plus I'd be down to meet some fellow BPLers finally as well. What type of commitment do you need from us? Just a "I'll be there" or anything else?

For now count me in! April 5!

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: First time seeing this on 09/22/2013 11:59:28 MDT Print View

Just an I'll be there will work :) as we get closer we'll start getting more details ie campground accommodations, specific route info etc

it's nice to have this 6 months out as it will give folks ample time to condition for the run

I might have mentioned this earlier, but if decide to run east -> west, there is an option to bail at the Grotto- which makes it roughly a 30-ish mile run/walk

Slaton Whatley
(AlpinistoOutdoors)

Locale: Catalinas, Saguaro, Grand Canyon
Total Mileage on 09/22/2013 12:21:12 MDT Print View

What's the total mileage if run in the opposite direction where we would need to fully commit? Really excited about this!

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Total Mileage on 09/22/2013 12:47:19 MDT Print View

48 ish miles.
10,000 ft of elevation gain.
water not readily available on course, but there are a couple spots (need to research this more).

Mike - maybe add a few course specifics to your opening entry for those who may be interested.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Total Mileage on 09/22/2013 13:17:41 MDT Print View

Skurka has a pretty comprehensive post about the mileage, route, and logistics. Look at the links on this page page- the map set and data sheet about water sources/mileages are very helpful.

http://andrewskurka.com/adventures/zion-national-park-traverse/

Starting at Lee's Pass is probably smartest because you could bail at the Grotto and walk/hitch/catch a bus a few miles down the road to camp in the valley or finish the full route much closer to where we'd be camping in the park. Going the other way and finishing at Lee's Pass after dark means you have to drive the I-15 all the way back...it's a good haul for the end of a long day, especially difficult people will likley be arriving at very different times. Finishing at the East Rim trailhead is only ~30 minutes of slow driving down into the valley. Shuttle services can pick you up at Eat Rim and drop you off at Lees.

Surf was big this morning so I'll definitely be ready :)

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

route on 09/22/2013 13:43:54 MDT Print View

I think Craig is spot on for all the reasons he mentioned

I know last year I contacted one of the tour companies and they were willing to pick us up early at the campground and take us to Lee's Pass (for $ of course) negating the need for driving and leaving a vehicle(s) there, so that might be an option again

per Art's suggestion, added a few links to the first post- if there are others worth adding just let me know

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Re: Re: 3rd annual BPL Spring Run Adventure on 09/22/2013 16:10:57 MDT Print View

"There is also that little loop that goes by Rae Lakes (in the Sierra). Although April is not the time for that one."

I did the loop in April '10 in heavy snow with snowshoes. Had to make it a two day event though.

Mike,
I am very interested in this trip. As always it will depend on training and injuries but there's plenty of time to get off the couch. Look forward to seeing many of the usual suspects as well as new ones. As this firms up we will have to start a training thread. I love that for the R2R2R.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: 3rd annual BPL Spring Run Adventure on 09/22/2013 16:44:14 MDT Print View

Greg- that sounds like a tough trip!!!! Would be great if you could make it. I agree, I really liked the training thread- great motivator and I learned a lot about training, resting, injuries, gear, etc!

Mike

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: Re: Re: 3rd annual BPL Spring Run Adventure on 09/22/2013 17:38:05 MDT Print View

Staying motivated and on top of training through the winter months can be a challenge. I know for me, last winter was quiet and I went into the early spring with fairly inefficient aerobic endurance having cut my volume down during the weekdays due to laziness, cold mornings, and shorter daylight hours. Having a date and destination for an April BPL group run should help pass the winter months by quickly and productively this go around. With that said, count me in.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: 3rd annual BPL Spring Run Adventure on 09/22/2013 18:34:51 MDT Print View

I've already started my training. I'm up to 2 beers in one day now.....

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 3rd annual BPL Spring Run Adventure on 09/22/2013 23:36:03 MDT Print View

@Doug.

We're going to make an ultrarunner out of you after all.

Does anyone have thoughts on doing the run on Friday, saving Saturday and Sunday for recuperating and enjoying some R&R. A solid day of beer, bantering, and brainstorming up the next adventure would be nice on Saturday. It would give other BPL peeps the opportunity to meet up for the weekend, but not necessarily commit to doing the Traverse, or perhaps tackle the traverse over a 2-day period. Just an idea, feel free to shoot it down.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

run on Friday on 09/23/2013 06:49:34 MDT Print View

I figure I can get three days off (in addition to the weekend) so I could probably travel on Wed, but I'd have to bug out very early Sunday morning to make it back for Monday (looks like roughly a 12-ish hour drive)-either way I plan on two full days of hanging out (and hopefully just one day of running :) )

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: run on Friday on 09/23/2013 07:50:48 MDT Print View

me personally, I would rather have the free days before the run than after, not sore or wasted, able to check out parts of the course if desired, get to know those we haven't met before the run, etc.
I'm pretty flexible, but John V. has this paranoia about taking too many days off.