Forum Index » GEAR » Chafing Prevention

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Walls
(tbird911) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Other options . . . . on 09/16/2013 19:42:48 MDT Print View

Daryl Daryl,

Now you're talking ! LOL! If you're gonna do that, why stop short, get a bleach job too! Those of us in the BIZ learned that secret years ago.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Re: Chafing Prevention on 09/16/2013 20:14:18 MDT Print View

Doug,

I ordered some Body Glide Liquified Powder and will give it a try. Thanks for the tip. I've tried the solid version without success. It actually hurt when I tried to rub it on this delicate area. The liquid version sounds much better.

And thanks for the offer of your second tube. I found a place with free shipping so that seemed the route to go.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Other options . . . . on 09/16/2013 21:20:24 MDT Print View

Yes, just don't use an electric razor. Don't ask Ian why....

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Other options . . . . on 09/16/2013 21:26:33 MDT Print View

"Sometimes shaving can have the opposite effect. I'll just leave it at that"

Well hey there Big Boy ;) pray do tell, we all want to hear about your..um.."friend's" experience.

J/K! Please don't tell.

Hey Daryl, i feel your pain (well at least i have, literally). I'm going to one up your TMI experience here a bit. I had a jock itch infection develop before i went to Spain and walked the El Camino De Santiago, my first and only really long hiking trip so far (which i did treat more as a backpacking trip, until i found out it was illegal and frowned upon for us "pilgrims" to nature camp, but i had a tarp, blankets, etc and did use it some in the beginning). Right before we left for the trip, i thought i had the infection beat, as the cream i was using (prescribed by an MD) seemed to be doing the trick, and i treated it for the appropriate length of time (3 weeks). It looked like it was totally gone by the time we left for Spain.

Well, en Espana, it came back with a vengeance, Dos Mio! At first it wasn't so bad, but yeah, try walking 500 or so miles with such an infection that just got worse and worse because i was always sweaty and hot. At one point, my skin got so raw and painful, that despite really disliking the idea, i took a bus and skipped about 40 miles to rest and treat it a couple of days. Unfortunately during this trip, it mutated and went deeper in my skin, and it took everything but nuclear blasting it to get rid of the infection (and a lot of time, experimentation, and testing).

It was after this trip that i started to get a wee bit obsessed with hygienic fabrics and materials like Linen to help with fighting the infection. At first all i got were shorts, since it was the area affected, but i ended up really like linen in general so ended up getting shirts and other things even though it had nothing to do with the jock infection. I even have a linen towel and bathrobe :O

Anyways, no advice, but just wanted to commiserate a bit and tell you i know how much raw skin sucks on backpacking/hiking trips. I really hope your solution continues to help out a lot.

Edited by ArcturusBear on 09/16/2013 21:28:11 MDT.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Chafing Prevention on 09/16/2013 21:30:23 MDT Print View

What about shaving the nether regions?

There's a great story about this in Lawson "Disco" Grinter's fantastic book - I Hike. I wont spoil it for anyone, as the book is really worth a read. I finished it in a couple of days and am now even more obsessed with doing a Thru Hike.

Good info on chafing here http://krudmeister.blogspot.co.nz/2010/10/chafe.html

Edited by jephoto on 09/16/2013 21:31:51 MDT.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
chafe on 09/16/2013 21:40:10 MDT Print View

If you are going to shave anywhere that might have chaffing, you need to take it slow and be extremely careful or else it will grow back all weird and you will have insane razor burn. Not recommended.
A better option is to use an electric razor that will trim the hair but not all the way down to skin. To me it seems like you only get that prickly stubble when you shave it all the way down with a sharp razor. If you just trim it down, the hair stays soft.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: chafe on 09/16/2013 21:48:25 MDT Print View

What the hell are you people talking about?! I'm afraid that some of you are now just looking for an excuse to play with your pubic hair. Have fun with ingrown hairs and chafing on your next trip.

Spandex undies like the Brooks Runderwear combined with either diaper cream (zinc oxide) or body glide and you should be good to go.

If taking a razor to your nether regions is what you're into, then more power to you. But don't play it off to friends and family that it's to prevent chafing.

Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: chafe on 09/16/2013 21:57:10 MDT Print View

It's 2013 folks. No reason to strut around with Bob Ross in a scissor lock. Just clean up after the hike and not before.

Edit: This might be a new low for me (pun not intended).

Edited by IDBLOOM on 09/16/2013 21:57:50 MDT.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: chafe on 09/16/2013 22:21:52 MDT Print View

I'd like to combine multiple threads and suggest a complete shave followed by an alpaca merkin.

Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: chafe on 09/16/2013 22:32:38 MDT Print View

How sad that I didn't have to google merkin. I blame Maynard James Keenan.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Re: Re: chafe on 09/16/2013 22:46:23 MDT Print View

Why, oh why did I click on this?

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: chafe on 09/16/2013 22:53:44 MDT Print View

Wait a minute, this is Chafe. Sorry, I thought it was Chaff.

Eh, chafe, chaff, tomato, tomahto.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Re: chafe on 09/17/2013 00:33:22 MDT Print View

How sad that I DID google merkin. I blame Ian!

(only because I read his post before the one above it)

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Other options . . . . on 09/17/2013 08:38:30 MDT Print View

Justin,

Your Spain experience sounds awful and is just what I hope to avoid. I don't like having open rashy skin anywhere on my body. Just seems like an invitation to infection.

My wife also did the hike in Spain you refer to. No problems. She had big problems with saddle sores when she bicycled across the US this year, however.

Some of my googling on the subject found advice that said to avoid cotton in the "between the legs armpit". Said synthetics were better. Go figure. As several people have said here "if it works stick with it".

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: chafe on 09/17/2013 15:30:05 MDT Print View

"How sad that I DID google merkin."

Ah, the internet. When I googled merkin, the second entry was: something george bush is constantly saying he is proud to be.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Other options . . . . on 09/17/2013 17:34:17 MDT Print View

Dave U,

"I thought it was Chaff."

I think it is now Chaff. You foresaw the future.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Other options . . . . on 09/17/2013 17:45:15 MDT Print View

Yah Daryl, i would avoid cotton and most synthetics for such an issue. Merino and Linen though are innately hygienic and antimicrobial which is why they don't build up smell like most other fabrics do.

Best of luck.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Chafing Prevention on 09/28/2013 09:29:25 MDT Print View

Doug, could you check the ingredients on the liquified powder and see if dimethicone is listed as others say? Is it the old packaging that says liquified powder on the front?

Body glide liquified powder is no longer sold in the old packaging. The new product is called skin glide. The old packaging was said to name dimethicone and had nearly same ingredients as hydropel. The new skin glide is marketed as liquified powder but does not contain dimethicone. The company would not comment on it for me. They at first replied about skin glide, but had nothing more to say when I brought up the possible ingredient change.

Edited by jshann on 09/28/2013 09:31:29 MDT.

Richard May
(richardmay)

Locale: Costa Rica
Re: Re: Re: Chafing Prevention on 09/28/2013 11:04:55 MDT Print View

According to the BodyGlide site it does. Now, is it the right mix?

http://www.bodyglide.com/ingredient-facts/

Skin Glide® balm.
In this unique cream that quickly transforms to a silky barrier against rubbing, we’ve made an exception to use the tiniest percentage of oil and water that helps give it a magical effect: purified water, talc, dimethicone, aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, cetyl alcohol, emulsifying wax, propylene glycol, polysorbate 20, imidazolidinyl urea, triclosan, xanthan gum, methylparaben, allantoin, triethanolamine, carbomer, disodium EDTA, propylparaben, melaleuca alternifolia, (tea tree) leaf oil, and menthol.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Chafing Prevention on 09/28/2013 12:51:19 MDT Print View

Their packaging and ingredients have changed about 4 times over the last couple years. The last packaging had that exact ingredient list

http://www.swimoutlet.com/photos/41189-4.jpg

The latest is all changed and drops dimethicone. You better buy all you can while it lasts.

http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15799

Body Glide has purposely not updated their website, for good reason. They are marketing it as the same product and then changing the formula.

Edited by jshann on 09/28/2013 13:13:54 MDT.