Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Why barefoot isn't best for most runners
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Re: Functional strength on 10/04/2013 14:27:16 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/30/2013 09:39:19 MDT.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Why barefoot isn't best for most runners on 10/04/2013 15:02:44 MDT Print View

I hear that furious backpedalling is also good for the quads :).

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Why barefoot isn't best for most runners on 10/04/2013 15:04:14 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/30/2013 09:45:08 MDT.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Why barefoot isn't best for most runners on 10/04/2013 15:20:21 MDT Print View

"I hear that furious backpedalling is also good for the quads :)."

It has always worked well for me!

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Back pedaling on 10/04/2013 15:27:04 MDT Print View

""I hear that furious backpedalling is also good for the quads :)."

Yes..pretty good quads here thanks to that!

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Back pedaling on 10/04/2013 15:29:06 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/30/2013 09:47:42 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Back pedaling on 10/04/2013 16:10:29 MDT Print View

"Anyone have any ideas as to how to get out of the Dog House?"

Rumor has it that everyone in your family needs an aplaca/merino wool hat this year for Festivus.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Functional strength on 10/04/2013 16:16:33 MDT Print View

"Hell, no one even did dedicated strength or endurance training when we first started out as a species. We just lived everyday doing everyday things. Much like Katherina is doing right now. I suspect that we did a little of everything, and that's why we can do a little of everything now. We lifted heavy things, we swung things, we bent over pulling things and digging, we sprinted, we jogged, we walked, we climbed trees and rocks, we slid down things, we balanced things, we swam, we crawled, we danced, we squatted, we jumped, we... oh I could go on forever. If we didn't rely on all the contraptions we do today in order to survive, we'd still be doing all those things everyday. And we'd be in good shape."

Exactly like a lot of us did when we were kids, before the "Age of the Soccer Mom", who oversees every minute of her kids' lives.

"I expect someone will find something to argue about in this statement, too. Because that's something we've always done, too."

It would be pretty hard to argue with any sincerity about what you just posted, Miguel. A thoughtful post, beautifully articulated.

I sometimes wonder if all the different ways we train and actively recreate are on some level an attempt to recapture a vital part of what we have lost as the price of climbing up out of that dark Hobbesian world of tooth and claw in which we dwelled for so many millenia.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: Functional strength on 10/04/2013 16:51:09 MDT Print View

"I sometimes wonder if all the different ways we train and actively recreate are on some level an attempt to recapture a vital part of what we have lost as the price of climbing up out of that dark Hobbesian world of tooth and claw in which we dwelled for so many millenia."

Bingo. I think you’ve hit the nail on the head.

I visited a zoo in upstate NY which had a black bear exhibit. I watched the bear for a while as he paced back and forth along the fence line. I asked one of the zoo keepers why he did that. He explained to me that the bear, in its natural habitat, may roam up to 20 miles per day. This was the bear’s attempt to burn off that energy in captivity because he was naturally wired that way.

This is just my opinion but I think opposite of the bear, humans are born to be lazy. For a hunter/gatherer, it’s not a smart idea to burn more calories than you are taking in. While I doubt that many of our hunter/gatherer ancestors lived much past 25-30, I'm sure almost all of them were in much better physical condition that your average modern man. We now can survive for years on end with less than 1500 Kcal per day. I’m sure for our prehistoric ancestors, it was twice to three times that, especially in the winter.

I’m no fitness expert but the fastest I could ever run the APFT was 2 miles at 12 minutes. I thought that was fast but there were always 5-10 other guys in my platoon which were closer to 11 minutes. Before I reached 12 minutes as my personal best, I was hovering between 12:30 and 13 minutes and couldn’t find another gear even though we ran 4-5 days per week. I finally started adding leg exercises (extensions, squats, etc) to my regimen at the gym and I’m convinced gave me what I needed to drop an extra 30 seconds off of my APFT.

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
"Why barefoot isn't best for most runners" on 10/04/2013 16:57:53 MDT Print View

Katharina, given the kinds of work that you do during the day, you have no reason to feel obliged to go lift yet more weights on your time off. The chef doesn't want to cook dinner for a wedding on his day off, etc.

That said, let me advocate swimming as a great exercise for people who are active all day but would like an aerobic workout. One great advantage is, you're weightless. You're off your feet and you're not lifting weights; yet you do exercise a large number of muscles and get a good aerobic workout to boot. But it's more like yoga or dancing except, again, you're floating. Also, it's meditative. I swim before work and it's a great way to start the day.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Back pedaling on 10/04/2013 17:56:56 MDT Print View

No dog house..Dave..
What I wrote above meant that I do my fair share of back pedaling...

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
re: Re: Re: Re: Functional strength on 10/04/2013 18:05:08 MDT Print View

"I think opposite of the bear, humans are born to be lazy. For a hunter/gatherer, it’s not a smart idea to burn more calories than you are taking in."

Ian, I think you just gave me an excuse, er, reason for my way of life!

Arapiles .
(Arapiles) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Running does suck on 10/05/2013 04:28:10 MDT Print View

"There is often a difference between looking strong and actually being functionally strong."

Spot on. Body building and steroids have warped the perception of what a fit adult looks like. I went to school with elite runners and swimmers and they were all LEAN, with flat muscles. Steroids and body building give you a rounded look.

I saw a photo a few years ago from the 1960s in the US of a large group of 20ish guys who were in the Presidents fitness challenge (?? I may have the name wrong) and I was struck (a) by how fit they looked and (b) how unlike today's ideal body image they were.

My son is quite lean (but he's strong and not at all light) - yet quite a few people have suggested that he's skinny or underweight. He's not underweight, everyone's just forgotten what normal is. Most of his classmates would've been classed as fat when I was his age, but now it's the new normal.