Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Why barefoot isn't best for most runners

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Running does suck on 10/01/2013 21:03:58 MDT Print View

"...no idea what it means, but it's a strong little chick"

Oooooohh, she's a hot one.

OMG, my wife is coming into the room. If she see's me ogling this one, I'm in deep doo doo. I'm outta here.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Running does suck on 10/02/2013 06:59:33 MDT Print View

This might make your day for all of you. Great video:

Move

Edited by butuki on 10/02/2013 07:05:28 MDT.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Re: Running whatever on 10/02/2013 07:18:32 MDT Print View

All I know is that running and other kinds of slow movement were no longer working for me. Maybe it is my age. I am 48. Maybe it's my body type. I'm short and stocky and kind of surprisingly heavy for my size. Maybe I just really wrecked myself doing too much long distance hiking. I've been trying to figure out what I broke with all that and try to repair it and I seem to have found my own answers and things that are actually working for me. It was becoming unsustainable to force my body into ever more extremes of endurance. Now I know that I do not have to. Not that this other way is easy because it's not. But it does give me lots of free time to sit on my deck and read and I can take a nice walk in the sunshine during lunch rather than sweat and run.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: Running does suck on 10/02/2013 08:49:30 MDT Print View

"...the type of movement is less important than moving itself, a stolen hour at the gym is just as important as a big day in the mountains, a victory over life's demands."

Great vid link Miguel.

Running and I are attached at the hip, but there are aspects to it that downright suck at times. Moments of pain, boredom, isolation, and fatigue that make it difficult to remember why I'm out there putting one foot in front of the other when I could be sleeping next to my wife in a warm bed. It only takes a stretch of perfect trail or a view after a long climb to remember and wash away those doubts. Some people overcome challenges and better themselves through strength training, others through hiking, for some it's running and cycling. Whatever the means, it's all good and should be celebrated equally.

Wasn't this thread about running barefoot?

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Re: Running does suck on 10/02/2013 08:59:54 MDT Print View

"Wasn't this thread about running barefoot? "

It was, until the usual absolute statements that derail most good threads.
This sucks. That is stupid. One should NEVER. ALWAYS....!! And so on..

spelt the enigmatic
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
So true on 10/02/2013 09:29:57 MDT Print View

People who state personal preferences in a facetious manner ruin all discussions, everywhere. Always.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Running does suck on 10/02/2013 11:44:35 MDT Print View

"If you think steroids are just used by people who are exceptionally large and muscular, did you not follow the recent Tour De France biking scandal?"

Uhh.. you know most drug use in cycling is EPO and blood doping... stuff to increase red blood cells for better oxygen use. or in the case of Contador. clenbuterol which is a broncodiolator which helps you breathe better

as far as training for hiking.. i find my cycling a 1500-3000mi /year makes my legs and core strong and increases my aerobic capacity. and hiking helps my cardio for biking. hiking my lungs max out first and my legs are fine.. biking my legs max out before i'm really breathing super hard except on steep hills.

i've met kenyan marathon runners.. they are a lot stronger looking than that pale finnish guy. obviously they won't have large upper bodies since that does nothing for you running.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Running does suck on 10/02/2013 14:03:44 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/30/2013 09:27:42 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Running does suck on 10/02/2013 15:21:21 MDT Print View

"This might make your day for all of you."

Sums it up pretty well. It is indeed what we were born to do, as proven by the fact that we store our main energy supply as fat instead of carbs like.....vegetables.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Running does suck on 10/02/2013 15:52:22 MDT Print View

"i've met kenyan marathon runners.. they are a lot stronger looking than that pale finnish guy. obviously they won't have large upper bodies since that does nothing for you running."

I would qualify that to say it does nothing for a distance runner. Sprinters are another matter entirely.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Running does suck on 10/02/2013 16:06:55 MDT Print View

"We must have a different definition of 'strong looking.'"

There is often a difference between looking strong and actually being functionally strong. I've seen a lot of knuckle draggers who can bench 225# strut up to the pull up bar and drop off after 2-3 pull ups. I have also seen a 5' 4" 112# 60 year old woman march up to that same bar and rack off 3 sets of 12 body weight pull ups. Who would have guessed? Similarly in climbing. A lot of climbers don't have much muscle mass, but what they do have is incredibly strong, and conditioned to stay strong, pitch after pitch, with enough left over for the descent and hike back to TH, often over technical terrain. In the dark. Carrying their climbing gear. Good runners are often the same, much stronger than they look. Don't be seduced by all those sculpted, well oiled muscles you see bulging out at you from the covers of muscle mags. Functional strength is where the rubber meets the road. My 2 cents.

BJ Clark
(bj.clark) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
Functional strength on 10/02/2013 16:37:59 MDT Print View

Years ago I was doing a running clinic at a Y in NM. The question was asked about how strong a marathoner needed to be. Frank Shorter was on the panel and answered the question. Strong enough to military press your own body weight. My response was that I did among other things 500 crunches and 100 push-ups in no more than 2 sets 4 days a week on top of 100+ miles of running a week. Another on the panel (a Kenyan) preceded to press about 125 lbs. over his head a dozen times to demonstrate. I don't think he weighed more than the bar and plates he was lifting.

As to the argument about intervals vs. long distance running, it's a false dichotomy. They develop different types of fitness as well as running economy. They both have their place and can have great impact on performance. When people break down from long endurance training it usually is a result of combining two much time and too much intensity in the same workouts. Too many run too far at too high a heart rate. This guarantees they will end up overtraining and getting injured or sick.

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
"Why barefoot isn't best for most runners" on 10/02/2013 16:57:01 MDT Print View

In the last few years research has begun to show that marathon runners in particular can develop heart issues. More than are typical; in other words, studies are indicating a correlation. Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. (Which I've found to be true in terms of Bev-mo's five cent wine sale...)(geeze, I'm starting to thread drift in my own post!)

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Functional strength on 10/02/2013 17:04:41 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/30/2013 09:30:25 MDT.

BJ Clark
(bj.clark) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Functional strength on 10/02/2013 18:09:36 MDT Print View

,Dave,
Don't assume that the "super Kenyan" was at his limit at 125 lbs. my point was that he was simply demonstrating that strength is essential even for distance runners. And I know that you think that interval training is the best. What I am saying is that it is different, not better or worse. I'm not going to get into a long argument on cardiovascular fitness here, I have no interest in that. But 40 years of coaching elite athletes has exposed me to some of the most sophisticated training methodologies in the world. Take what I have written for what you will. I am now more interested in other topics, I just dropped in on a whim.
BJ

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Functional strength on 10/02/2013 18:14:23 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/30/2013 09:31:06 MDT.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Functional strength on 10/02/2013 18:20:52 MDT Print View

"Functional strength"?

As in opening garage doors, carrying groceries, taking out the trash, and walking up stairs?

What does this even mean? Some basic level of fitness required to be a "fit" human?

I can get that without squats, deadlifts, and presses.

Anything is "functional" insofar as it achieves its function.

Is it any surprise that a crossfit athlete would define functional strength in terms of performing crossfit exercises and a surfer would define functional strength in terms of the ability to surf?

What are we even talking about?

Edited by xnomanx on 10/02/2013 18:21:27 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Functional strength on 10/02/2013 18:26:59 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/30/2013 09:31:55 MDT.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Functional strength on 10/02/2013 18:36:42 MDT Print View

You have it backwards Dave.

What if putting my son on the top bunk actually mimics an overhead press?

In that case, I'm good. I haven't dropped him in twelve years and counting.

You had me worried I was going to have to start overhead pressing.
Now I can surf tomorrow morning instead.

:)

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Functional strength on 10/02/2013 19:25:59 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/30/2013 09:29:29 MDT.