Forum Index » GEAR » The most "non lightweight" thing you've seen on the trail

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Re: The most "non lightweight" thing you've seen on the trail on 10/15/2013 08:46:17 MDT Print View

> cooler must be a favorite method for someone

The guy I was talking with had ice, beer, and burgers in his cooler.

--mark

Robert Springer
(icefest) - M
Re: Re: The most "non lightweight" thing you've seen on the trail on 10/16/2013 01:47:10 MDT Print View

> A MSR-fired hot tub. (Thomas DavidinKenai)

This I gotta see, how did it work?

I've considered making one of these and I think I could make one with enough fuel for 3 hours of operation and have it weigh less than 40lb.

Now, the heaviest thing I've seen was me for an overnight hike with my Uni. Midwinter 4000 foot ascent at night for the purpose of celebration.
My pack weight was around 80lb. I had a cast iron fry pan, an ad hoc oven, 4lb flour, 3lb asparagus, 1.5lb butter, 24 eggs, 4lb of bacon and 1lb of white gas.

The following night we cooked fresh bread rolls, asparagus with sauce hollandaise, cheese fondue and meringues for dessert. With a breakfast of eggs benedict it was pure gluttony.

It took me 4 hours to walk 4 miles with a 4000 feet ascent.

.... and that's why I decided to go UL from then on.

Ryan Nakahara
(kife42) - F

Locale: Hawaii
100 on 10/16/2013 02:39:39 MDT Print View

100 pounds, 11+ gallons, containers filled with water. Straight up 1,200 ft Koko Crater.

Edited by kife42 on 10/16/2013 06:05:33 MDT.

Wim Depondt
(wim_depondt) - F - MLife

Locale: The low countries
coal & alcohol free cider on 10/16/2013 09:48:33 MDT Print View

Returned this weekend from the Cairngorms (Scotland). Upon arriving at Corrour bothy, someone showed up with five kilo of coal... but could not fire it up, even with half a dozen of fire starters. I didn't even try, having not knowledge whatsoever to start a coal fire.

At the same bothy, earlier visitors left 3 cans of alcohol free cider. I can only imagine the faces of that trekking group, after climbing passes or mountains in horrible weahter, hoping they'll have some great time at the bothy with some superb cider, followed by the desilution: "shit, we bought alcohol free booze at the petrol station. Someone in this bothy is going to die tonight"

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
The most "non lightweight" thing you've seen on the trail on 10/16/2013 14:54:35 MDT Print View

I recently read an article in New Zealand Wilderness Magazine, where the author describes seeing a tramper with a metal rubbish (garbage) can lid on the back of their pack.It's purpose was never revealed. Also described is an incident where a hut warden had to turn back a young woman pushing a shopping trolley. She had made it to the first hut on the track and was intending to take the trolley the whole way. Perhaps she had read The Road.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: Re: The most "non lightweight" thing you've seen on the trail on 10/16/2013 15:12:13 MDT Print View

Robert: the MSR-fired hot tub was slow to heat up - it took four hours to get to 104F. 4 or 6 BP stoves only put out 30,000-50,000 BTU/ hour (about 12kW). I later went to a 250,000 BTU/hour propane burner. That got things to temperature in 40 minutes, but the added weight of the steel tank made it more suitable for snow camping with a sled or for car camping. I'll see if I have any photos that meet BPL guidelines, which I believe preclude naked college students.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: The most "non lightweight" thing you've seen on the trail on 10/16/2013 15:42:23 MDT Print View

Yeah, cast iron, coolers, boom boxes, external frame packs loaded 2' over the bearer's head with God-only-knows-what stashed inside. A classic scene is an overweight good ol' boy with a monster load, accompanied by a female companion carrying a lightly loaded day pack. Chivalry indeed! Maybe she had the life insurance on him paid up :)

The last time we were out at Olympic beaches I saw a guy walking up in the wooded section of the trail with a massive military/tactical style pack that was easily three times what I had hauled in. It just towered over him. It may have been the same bunch, but someone had hauled a huge squad tent out there, like a big green canvas cabin. It is only 3 miles from the Lake Ozette parking lot to Cape Alava and nearly flat, but geeze!

I very much remember the Eagle Scout who went on my first overnight hike with our troop who had all the light spendy gear. I had suffered up a couple miles of switchbacks in heavy boots, an old Trapper Nelson wood and canvas backpack filled with an old army surplus air mattress and a flannel lined sleeping bag. He dined on steak while we nearly poisoned ourselves trying to cook chicken in the coals of our roaring bonfire, with a choice of burned to s crisp or nearly raw. I had a *steel* surplus mess. D-cell flashlight-- all the good stuff :) We must have done major damage to the surrounding forest that weekend gathering firewood.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Re: Re: Re: Re: The most "non lightweight" thing you've seen on the trail on 10/16/2013 16:18:35 MDT Print View

I'll see if I have any photos that meet BPL guidelines, which I believe preclude naked college students.
Actually, just go ahead and post them. We'll be sure and let you know which ones are inappropriate. ;)

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The most "non lightweight" thing you've seen on the trail on 10/16/2013 16:21:25 MDT Print View

PMs work too. ;)

bruce thibeault
(brucetbo) - M

Locale: New England
RE: The most "non lightweight" thing you've seen on the trail on 10/16/2013 17:38:45 MDT Print View

Queen size folding cot, matching air mattress.

Stephen Cohen
(esteban) - M

Locale: Southeast U.S.
gold in them hills on 10/17/2013 21:27:19 MDT Print View

Saw a guy in NC on the AT carrying a gold panning set up. He said he was going to fund his trip from his findings. I would assume he went broke.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: The most "non lightweight" thing you've seen on the trail on 10/17/2013 21:30:58 MDT Print View

Yo Mamma!

(sorry, i've done some very rare imbibing of some alcohol [red wine], and i have very low tolerance)

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Re: gold in them hills on 10/21/2013 18:38:25 MDT Print View

Did someone say "gold?" Here's a nice "UL" (ahem) sluicing set up...

HJ
Adventures in Stoving