Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
The most "non lightweight" thing you've seen on the trail
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
The most "non lightweight" thing you've seen on the trail on 09/12/2013 13:03:45 MDT Print View

>> A large steamer trunk full of heavy camera gear, carried between two guys. <<

That sounds very familiar!

I was on a week long canoe trip that involved some substantial portages, so we tried to keep our backpacks as light as possible. We were late hitting the trail on the first day and as we carried our packs and canoe down the trail we met a guy sitting in the middle of the trail on a plywood box. We stopped and chatted with him. He had custom built a plywood food locker to fit into his canoe and I suspect it weighed 100 lbs! The guy was totally beat. His friend had walked ahead with the canoe and he was dragging the box down the trail. They had actually left the trailhead 4 hours before we had started our hike! He told me we would be jealous of their meals when we saw them in camp but of course we never saw them again.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: The most "non lightweight" thing you've seen on the trail on 09/12/2013 13:16:23 MDT Print View

My hiking partner carried 15 pounds of steel reserve.

Edited by justin_baker on 09/12/2013 13:17:07 MDT.

Erik G
(fox212) - F

Locale: THE Bay Area :)
Propane on 09/12/2013 13:30:43 MDT Print View

I once passed a guy carrying a 20lb propane cylinder. His "backpack" was one of those beach chairs with pack straps. And he was hiking in flip flops.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Watermelon on top of Mt Rainier on 09/12/2013 13:56:42 MDT Print View

Guy carried it up to said he had done it.

I carried a Rainier beer I found in the parking lot and left it in the parking lot when I got down. Wondered if it made more than one trip to the crater.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Lobsters in Desolation Wilderness on 09/12/2013 14:18:52 MDT Print View

Pro-tip: just use water ice to keep lobsters cool. Dry ice asphyxiates them.

The UC Berkeley Outing club, CHAOS, has a long tradition of bring stupid things to various obscure places.

Jack-o-lanterns to the top of the Bay Bridge being one of the less legal such efforts.

Champagne for 30 people and a 3-tiered wedding cake on top of Half Dome being one of the more celebratory.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Re: The most "non lightweight" thing you've seen on the trail on 09/12/2013 14:33:13 MDT Print View

"A MSR-fired hot tub."

I have to get me one of those!

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
The most "non lightweight" thing you've seen on the trail on 09/12/2013 14:38:36 MDT Print View

I've carried heavy fresh food and several bottle of champagne. The worst however was a full sized camping "bag" chair (the kind used by RVers) and 25 lbs of video camera equipment. All of this was for a hike of only a mile and a half, and it's downhill on the way in. The chair and camera equipment about killed me on the way up...

Hiking out of this same place I did carry an ice chest up the hill for some poor girl who's boyfriend left her on the trail by herself.

For longer hikes the worst I carried was two garcia bear cans in Yosemite.

Edited by Hitech on 09/12/2013 14:39:58 MDT.

Erik G
(fox212) - F

Locale: THE Bay Area :)
How about a couch? on 09/12/2013 14:55:41 MDT Print View

...for relaxing after hauling all that "non lightweight" stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQc7t2BOx_Y

:)

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
The most "non lightweight" thing you've seen on the trail on 09/12/2013 16:12:30 MDT Print View

This reminds me of a guy we met on Stewart Island and named the Axe Man. He said he was out for about three weeks and had an 80 L pack. However this was full and he was supplementing it with a canvas shopping bag in each hand. As far as I could see each bag was full of tins. He was also carrying a decent sized hatchet (unusual in NZ, as the huts often have their own axe). Just to keep things fresh he was wearing running shoes without much tread. Stewart Island is very, very muddy and when we saw him later he was making very slow and careful progress down hill.

Eric has been posting a lot lately. So just to save him the effort here I will say that he seemed very happy and he was going to be out there long after we had returned back home.

michael adamski
(mikeadamski) - M
A TV! on 09/12/2013 16:49:31 MDT Print View

Granted, it was gutted. Then a paper scroll was inserted to teach a troop of scouts a "Leave No Trace" lesson. Hike in was only 2 miles.

Mr. Z shows how not to pack

Barry Cuthbert
(nzbazza) - MLife

Locale: New Zealand
I'll see your couch and raise you a BBQ... Summit party on Mt Taranaki on 09/12/2013 17:12:29 MDT Print View

http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/4553740/Climbing-companions-take-barbecuing-to-new-heights

Back in the early 90's I belonged to a university camping trip and the club was responsible for maintaining a couple of tramping huts in the Tararuas (New Zealand). Normally the supplies would be dropped off by helicopter but being students we didn't have the cash for that so we humped it in. A trip that normally was 3 hours took 6. I carried a 40kg bag of cement for mixing into concrete for the hut's foundations. At least my load was small in volume so it didn't get caught on the trees, my mate had to carry the buckets, shovels, and a couple of sheets of corrugated roofing iron.

Brittany W
(quasarr) - F

Locale: Southeast
Adult beverages!! on 09/12/2013 17:29:39 MDT Print View

LOL I love this thread!! Need more pics tho :)

How about an entire box of wine! What an idiot! Oh wait that was me......

Also in 2005 doing trail work in CO, we had a base camp about 3mi (and 1,500 ft up!!) from the parking lot, and 45 min drive from Leadville. Each 10 days we had to resupply with produce, eggs, etc. Oh dear lord, it was bad! Imagine a big backpack, plus a bag of oranges, plus a grocery bag in each hand with eggs. Oh how those fit UL Colorado trail runner folks must have laughed at us!! But the good news was, if you could carry it, you could have it!! So that included luxuries like Trivial Pursuit and, no kidding, a trombone!!

PS if you have hiked the Colorado Trail or summit trail on Mt Massive, I hope you liked it!! :) :)

Erik Basil
(EBasil)

Locale: Atzlan
The TV !! on 09/12/2013 17:42:38 MDT Print View

The television shell is hilarious!

The heaviest-looking things I've seen are the cast-iron skillet a buddy used to carry on every trip (and he was fast) and a large dutch oven strapped to a big, blue Lowe pack. The actual heaviest item is probably the 5-man inflateable we saw guys hauling into Thousand Island Lake this summer.

I carried a Big Agnes Big House out to TI one year, because I didn't own anything that would hold 3 people and...because I could. Later, I reconsidered that position, but the tent was luxurious.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
scout stuff on 09/12/2013 20:15:01 MDT Print View

We saw a scout from another crew at a campsite in the backcountry at Philmont with 1) laptop computer 2) Sony playstation 3) Sony PSP

Okay, the PSP alone I might have understood.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: The most "non lightweight" thing you've seen on the trail on 09/12/2013 20:35:11 MDT Print View

Saw some fun things on the Long Trail last summer.

first was a family that had done 3 days to do what we did that day up to Killington. they had large frame packs with canned food, large bottles of alcohol and pretty non light camping gear. They were harmless and gave us candy and JELLO pudding cups (pudding makes great breakfast!)

2nd was a first aid kit that probably weighed 2-3lbs from a "NOLS" guy who seemed to think he was going to do surgery. He couldn't quite wrap his head around my 3oz ziplock bag of gauze, moleskin and bandaids. They also had their food packed in bulk for 3...except one had to get off the trail so they were stuck with extra. ever see a sandwich bag half full of table salt? or a gallon of oatmeal.

in Kings Canyon we saw a pair of pack Llamas but they carry themselves :)

Jake S
(spags) - M
Frying pans are small. on 09/12/2013 20:51:59 MDT Print View

I had a Spanish national scout leader once carry a 26" Paella pan 2.5 miles into our campsite. I think it weighed something like 12 pounds, but we harvested enough freshwater mussels and crayfish that afternoon to flavor and feed most of the troop out of that thing.

I was 12 at the time but still remember that meal, so I guess the impact was there. :D

Edited by spags on 09/12/2013 20:53:38 MDT.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Steel Helmets on 09/12/2013 21:16:28 MDT Print View

On my first SUL style trip at Grayson Highlands we camped out at Thomas Knob shelter. The next morning we chatted with a couple adults from the scout troop camped next door.

One teenager camp out of his tent wearing, I kid you not, a steel army helmet from the World War II era. It was painted orange for some reason. I have no idea what the kid was thinking when he packed that.

Simon Wurster
(Einstein) - F

Locale: Big Apple
Re: The most "non lightweight" thing you've seen on the trail on 09/12/2013 22:18:31 MDT Print View

I met a thru-hiker on the AT this summer from England he (Smiley? Smiles? Can't remember his trail name) who was packing a homemade... swing! He unraveled it, strung it from the rafters in the Graymoor Ballfield Shelter, and swung away. Apparently, there was a swing somewhere along the AT down south, and he enjoyed it so much he made his own from a scrap of wood and paracord. Looked a little flimsy for my bulk, but a few other hikers enjoyed it.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
heavy stuff in trail - sightings on 09/12/2013 22:44:51 MDT Print View

May have hallucinated this, or seen ghosts, but in early July 2005 was detouring around Never Summer Wilderness in Colorado by going through Rocky Mtn Nat Park. Was headed south from the Bowen/Baker trailhead to the Bowen Gulch trail, to get to Bowen Lake, a popular camping spot. Although adjacent to mountains, this section of trail was quite steamy with a lot of leafy brush, and felt more like hiking in the southlands than in northern Colorado.

A young man in a blue civil war union uniform and cap, but with no insignia, passed me coming the other way (north), and responded a little gruffly to my greeting. Behind him was a young woman in a long dress, looking pregnant, with a large trunk strapped to her front. It was heavy and large enough that she had to lean way backward to walk. She must have been incredibly strong.

After they passed by, I did a kind of doubletake, but just kept on going. After the trail turned westward and went up Bowen Gulch, it was a relief to run into a couple who I camped near overnight. They had some nice dogs and offered me fresh trout cooked in one of those big frying pans. Felt back in reality.

There is a book entitled "Lost Nation," written by a college professor in Vermont that graphically describes how women were treated in the wilderness of northern New Hampshire in the days of the Indian Stream Republic. It felt like I'd walked back in time.

Edited by scfhome on 09/12/2013 22:47:05 MDT.

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
Re: The most "non lightweight" thing you've seen on the trail on 09/12/2013 23:11:47 MDT Print View

Two small sacks of cement and a bundle of 8' rebar. Little Mexican dude must have been pouring a foundation for something in the Cuyamacas.