Fresh Air with Terry Gross
Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Glenn Greenwald's book comes out today. on 05/14/2014 15:10:14 MDT Print View

"Basically, during Clinton they lucked out and discovered and stopped a plot to crash airplanes into buildings. They knew about Al Queda. During the Bush transition, they warned them - the president, vice president, security people,... but they dismissed.

They didn't need enhanced illegal wiretapping to prevent 9/11, just listen to those high level Clinton people yelling a warning to you : )"

Right....then why didn't Clinton take Bin Laden when he had the chance?

"Clinton: So we tried to be quite aggressive with them [al Qaeda]. We got – well, Mr. bin Laden used to live in Sudan. He was expelled from Saudi Arabia in 1991, then he went to Sudan. And we’d been hearing that the Sudanese wanted America to start dealing with them again. They released him. At the time, 1996, he had committed no crime against America, so I did not bring him here because we had no basis on which to hold him, though we knew he wanted to commit crimes against America. So I pleaded with the Saudis to take him, ’cause they could have. But they thought it was a hot potato and they didn’t and that’s how he wound up in Afghanistan"

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Glenn Greenwald's book comes out today. on 05/14/2014 15:33:50 MDT Print View

Looks like you're asking, then answering your question

At least you're acknowledging the Bush Administration knew about Bin Laden before 9/11

During Clinton, Bin Laden hadn't committed the 9/11 attack so not so obvious we should go after him with high priority. Reasonable to try to get the Saudis to take care of their own citizen.

Bush also had opportunities to get him but didn't, but it was after 9/11 so there was more priority

But my point was, the advocates of the illegal NSA spying justify it on the basis it could have prevented 9/11. The 9/11 attackers were known of and could have been prevented if we had used legal means. I'll stop short of claiming the Bush people ignored 9/11 because they could then use it to justify all sorts of things.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Terry Gross and Glenn Greenwald on 05/14/2014 16:06:07 MDT Print View

The Interview with Terry Gross and Glenn Greenwald just aired. Terry asked some questions that to me were no brainer, like " why does Snowden not return and face the music in the US"???? But those are the questions that many Americans really wonder, so I am glad she asked them.

An important point that unfortunately way too many people are still not well informed on is this:
"......One of the things ... that I think has been misunderstood about Edward Snowden ... is that he actually hasn't released a single document to the public. He could have if he wanted to: He could have uploaded the documents to the Internet on his own; he could have given them to foreign powers. There are all sorts of things he could have done, and what he did instead is he came to journalists and said, "I don't actually think that I, Edward Snowden, am the person who should be making the decisions about what the public should and shouldn't see. I actually think that's journalists who ought to be making that call and I want you to work within media organizations that have experience in making these decisions and make those judgments yourself." ... There's a huge responsibility that comes from making those choices."

Edited by Kat_P on 05/14/2014 16:13:54 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Why Snowden won't "man up" as Kerry jingoistically put it. on 05/28/2014 15:15:35 MDT Print View

Not very in depth but makes the point well enough.

http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/2014/05/28/why-snowden-wont-as-kerry-jingoistically-put-it-man-up-trust-the-american-justice-system/

Edited by Kat_P on 05/28/2014 15:17:47 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Why Snowden won't "man up" as Kerry jingoistically put it. on 05/28/2014 16:56:23 MDT Print View

I just finished part 2 of Frontline, great story.

I agree, without Snowden we wouldn't be talking about this.

Clapper wouldn't have testified that the NSA wasn't looking at all emails, and then come back later and apologized for lying.

And there was no other way for Snowden to blow the whistle.

This seems so obvious, so what could Kerry be possibly be thinking with his "man up" B.S.?

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Daniel Ellsberg on Snowden and Kerry on 05/30/2014 12:46:18 MDT Print View

"Snowden would not get a fair trial...and Kerry is wrong"

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/30/daniel-ellsberg-snowden-fair-trial-kerry-espionage-act

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Daniel Ellsberg on Snowden and Kerry on 05/30/2014 13:55:14 MDT Print View

"John Kerry's challenge to Snowden to return and face trial is either disingenuous or simply ignorant that current prosecutions under the Espionage Act allow no distinction whatever between a patriotic whistleblower and a spy. Either way, nothing excuses Kerry's slanderous and despicable characterizations of a young man who, in my opinion, has done more than anyone in or out of government in this century to demonstrate his patriotism, moral courage and loyalty to the oath of office the three of us swore: to support and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Yeah! Really! I just can't understand what all these people criticizing Snowden are thinking.

Anyone see that NBC interview of Snowden? Snowden is so much more well spoken than Kerry. Maybe they should make Snowden Secretary of State.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

A loss for all of us. on 06/02/2014 10:05:23 MDT Print View

Very sad.

"This is the latest victory of the Obama administration in their crackdown on sources, and in turn, investigative journalism. As the New York Times again reminded us today, they have "pursued leaks aggressively, bringing criminal charges in eight cases, compared with three under all previous administrations combined."

https://pressfreedomfoundation.org/blog/2014/06/supreme-court-rejects-reporters-privilege-case-nyt-reporter-faces-jail-protecting-his

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Some of what we know today and did not know a year ago on 06/08/2014 10:55:29 MDT Print View

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/06/65-65-things-we-know-about-nsa-surveillance-we-didnt-know-year-ago

Ps. This is not intended for those of us that believe we should not know what goes on.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Hacking online polls on 07/14/2014 18:31:58 MDT Print View

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/07/14/manipulating-online-polls-ways-british-spies-seek-control-internet/

An list of GCHQ's programs that are used for propaganda and internet deception.

"• “Change outcome of online polls” (UNDERPASS)

• “Mass delivery of email messaging to support an Information Operations campaign” (BADGER) and “mass delivery of SMS messages to support an Information Operations campaign” (WARPARTH)

• “Disruption of video-based websites hosting extremist content through concerted target discovery and content removal.” (SILVERLORD)

• “Active skype capability. Provision of real time call records (SkypeOut and SkypetoSkype) and bidirectional instant messaging. Also contact lists.” (MINIATURE HERO)

• “Find private photographs of targets on Facebook” (SPRING BISHOP)

• “A tool that will permanently disable a target’s account on their computer” (ANGRY PIRATE)

• “Ability to artificially increase traffic to a website” (GATEWAY) and “ability to inflate page views on websites” (SLIPSTREAM)

• “Amplification of a given message, normally video, on popular multimedia websites (Youtube)” (GESTATOR)

• “Targeted Denial Of Service against Web Servers” (PREDATORS FACE) and “Distributed denial of service using P2P. Built by ICTR, deployed by JTRIG” (ROLLING THUNDER)

• “A suite of tools for monitoring target use of the UK auction site eBay (www.ebay.co.uk)” (ELATE)

• “Ability to spoof any email address and send email under that identity” (CHANGELING)

• “For connecting two target phone together in a call” (IMPERIAL BARGE)

While some of the tactics are described as “in development,” JTRIG touts “most” of them as “fully operational, tested and reliable.” It adds: “We only advertise tools here that are either ready to fire or very close to being ready.”

And JTRIG urges its GCHQ colleagues to think big when it comes to internet deception: “Don’t treat this like a catalogue. If you don’t see it here, it doesn’t mean we can’t build it.”

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Executive Order 12333 on 07/21/2014 12:33:12 MDT Print View

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/meet-executive-order-12333-the-reagan-rule-that-lets-the-nsa-spy-on-americans/2014/07/18/93d2ac22-0b93-11e4-b8e5-d0de80767fc2_story.html

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Snowden and Ellsberg on 07/21/2014 12:36:32 MDT Print View

http://www.dailydot.com/politics/hopex-edward-snowden-daniel-ellsberg/

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

"Bush and Obama spurred Edward Snowden to spill U.S. Secrets" on 08/22/2014 07:52:40 MDT Print View

http://m.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/08/the-misdeeds-that-prompted-edward-snowden-to-spill-us-secrets/378963/

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: "Bush and Obama spurred Edward Snowden to spill U.S. Secrets" on 08/22/2014 09:00:40 MDT Print View

You've posted some interesting articles Kat, thank you. I struggle with my opinion of Snowden's actions - patriot one day, traitor the next. I dislike the way he went about things & who he leaked secrets too, but I don't know what other choice he had. (other than to stay quiet of course). Either way, hopefully some good will come out of it.

Ryan

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: "Bush and Obama spurred Edward Snowden to spill U.S. Secrets" on 08/22/2014 09:14:41 MDT Print View

You don't like who he leaked secrets to?

He leaked secrets to three journalists who have been carefully going through it all and trying to make sure they do not disclose what they deem dangerous to the US. Some of what they have disclosed may have hurt US interests, but they are holding back much more than they are publishing.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

You don't "have nothing to hide" on 09/28/2014 17:45:35 MDT Print View

A well written article particularly meaningful to those of us that don't necessarily tow the "thinking line".

http://www.salon.com/2014/09/28/you_dont_have_nothing_to_hide_how_privacy_breaches_are_quietly_controlling_you/

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

FBI director James Comely wants a government mandated back door to your IPhone and Google account. on 10/17/2014 19:38:59 MDT Print View

Relevant to this thread.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/17/government-internet-backdoor-surveillance-fbi