Forum Index » GEAR » FOUND; lightest spray deoderant!!

Display Avatars Sort By:
mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Locale: Allways on the move
FOUND; lightest spray deoderant!! on 09/10/2013 13:37:25 MDT Print View

Should I put this in the SUL section???? After conversations there I get the feeling those guys don't take deodorant on their trips.

Anyway, my wife is NOT helping my OCD of finding 'light' gear at all by finding these little beauties for me :):

deoderant spray

It weighs 11.1g (0.39 ounce). probably not good for a very long time but a little squirt after a wash is all I am guessing you'll need.

Weight wise it is on par at exactly the same weight with my chapstick deodorant (I got the idea off another BPL-er):

deoderant

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
lightest on 09/10/2013 20:02:20 MDT Print View

The lightest would be none.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: lightest on 09/10/2013 20:17:36 MDT Print View

+1 that stuff probably smells worse than nothing.

LT -19 days 3 showers.. never cared. no one on the trail cares either.

and i'd laugh my ass off if someone mixed up their deodorant chapstick and real stuff haha

Edited by JakeDatc on 09/10/2013 20:18:13 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: lightest on 09/10/2013 20:25:01 MDT Print View

"that stuff probably smells worse than nothing."

Not to a bear. I can visualize it now: Cheep Thrill # 1042, a bear nuzzling your pits in the middle of the night. Oooohhhhh......

John Holmes
(jcholmes)

Locale: SouthEastern US
Bear repellant on 09/11/2013 06:39:19 MDT Print View

I'm thinking no bear is interested in pit or foot funk.
No deodorant for me...I'll clean up after the hike.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: FOUND; lightest spray deodorant!! on 09/11/2013 06:43:25 MDT Print View

"After conversations there I get the feeling those guys don't take deodorant on their trips."

Like all the posts so far? I don't take either. But I don't use it at all anyway.

Edited by kthompson on 09/11/2013 06:46:54 MDT.

sheila o
(bumpass) - F

Locale: The Far Left Coast? : /
deoderant? on 09/19/2013 02:43:44 MDT Print View

All depends if you sleep solo or not...... ;)

Edited by bumpass on 09/19/2013 02:45:45 MDT.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Rocks on 09/19/2013 03:48:13 MDT Print View

I've noticed that Bpl tends to throw rocks at the mention of deodorant. I carry it, and would like to know your source. Feel free to ignore the stinkers.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
remember on 09/19/2013 09:07:09 MDT Print View

Remember this:

Some called him a vagabond
Some called him a vagrant
But they all knew when he was around
Because he was so fragrant.

--B.G.--

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Normal stick deodorant in a minibalm jar on 09/19/2013 11:27:05 MDT Print View

I just shave chips from a normal white stick deodorant into a minibalm jar and microwave it to melt them down. Smear it into place with a fingertip. Easier than stocking a special backpacking aerosol.

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Deodorant on 09/19/2013 11:29:40 MDT Print View

I have to agree with Sheila. When I hike alone, I have no qualms about offending the squirrels, but when I hike with my wife, I prefer to be approachable.

This micro aerosol deodorant is a good find if you like the deodorant that's in it. I find that aerosol deodorants often have overwhelming scents. Some of them could be used in a pinch as a substitute for tear gas. One of the nice things about filling a chapstick tube is that it weighs the same but you have lots of options. You can pick your favorite deodorant. I chose an unscented and *mostly* natural deodorant to put in mine.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: FOUND; lightest spray deoderant!! on 09/19/2013 14:08:18 MDT Print View

>"After conversations there I get the feeling those guys don't take deodorant on their trips."

Yeah, they actually shave their pits to cut down on total weight.

Nice find in that it is off-the-shelf. I'll stick with my refill chapstick tube (also 11 grams as you note), but good to know.

Multi-purpose ideas: what is the propellent? Try lighting it with a mini-Bic. It would make an impromptu bear startler akin to a flare if you set off a few 2-foot flames in front of a curious bruin. Signaling for a rescue at night. Fire starting.

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Use a Crystal on 09/19/2013 14:12:32 MDT Print View

I agree, the lightest deodorant is none.

That said, if you want the lightest weight antiperspirant or deodorant, that carries well and gives at least a few days of protection, then I suggest you use one of the crystal deodorants. I just break off a small chunk and put it in a mini ziplock and carry it in my toiletry kit.

For those unfamiliar with using a crystal, you wet it lightly with water to apply it. Each application can last up to 3 days, unless you bathe or shower in between.

You can find them in most health/natural stores or the toiletry sections of drug stores, or Walmart type places. They come in both regular or travel size.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: FOUND; lightest spray deoderant!! on 09/19/2013 14:13:19 MDT Print View

I find it works better to clean yourself up instead of trying to mask the smell. Wash your body with a wet rag each night and wash your pits out with soap. Your clothes will start smelling less that you do and if you keep your body clean, your clothes stay cleaner.

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Re: Rocks on 09/19/2013 14:25:49 MDT Print View

"I've noticed that Bpl tends to throw rocks at the mention of deodorant. I carry it, and would like to know your source. Feel free to ignore the stinkers."

Sorry for late reply;

Don't know if this will help you but the local reject/$2 dollar shop's 'travel' section.

:)

Edited by mikmik on 09/19/2013 14:29:43 MDT.

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Re: Normal stick deodorant in a minibalm jar on 09/19/2013 14:27:18 MDT Print View

"I just shave chips from a normal white stick deodorant into a minibalm jar and microwave it to melt them down. Smear it into place with a fingertip. Easier than stocking a special backpacking aerosol."

.....er, that's in my original post, it's my second picture.