Locale: Rocky Mountains
A Guide to the Grayson Highlands on 09/10/2013 11:21:46 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

A Guide to the Grayson Highlands

Jacob Smith
(Wrongturn) - MLife

Locale: The Soda
re: on 09/10/2013 13:15:02 MDT Print View

Grayson Highlands is also a great place for Tenkara fishing. There are trout in quite a few of the streams.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: A Guide to the Grayson Highlands on 09/10/2013 13:31:35 MDT Print View

For non members interested in the area look here.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/search.html?q=grayson+highlands&x=0&y=0

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Cool on 09/10/2013 17:22:04 MDT Print View

I just did the Grayson Highlands/Mt Rogers hike this past weekend. Fox Creek to Damascus - 41 miles or so. It is truly a great hike that gets you out of the typical green tunnel that most Appalachian hikes entail. The Art Loeb trail is another similar hike that is just as beautiful. The only real negative to the Highlands is that half the hike smells like cow & pony crap.

P.S. - Those ponies will literally attempt to rape you for a Butterfinger.

Ryan

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: A Guide to the Grayson Highlands on 09/10/2013 18:27:36 MDT Print View

Very timely article as have been looking for above treeline areas that are within a 10 hour drive for me.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re Re A Guide to the Grayson Highlands on 09/10/2013 18:36:18 MDT Print View

Not technically above treeline Stephen but about as close as you are going to get in the mid-Atlantic. As others have mentioned your other main choice would be the Shining Rock Wilderness Area which is a bit farther south (maybe an hour or so, depending on where you're coming from).

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re Re A Guide to the Grayson Highlands on 09/10/2013 18:56:16 MDT Print View

Hi Luke,

I am coming from Michigan, any more than 10 hours makes more sense for me to fly out west.

Is camping allowed on the treeless parts?

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Camping on 09/10/2013 19:27:17 MDT Print View

Yep you can camp pretty much anywhere. Off the top of my head the only areas I can think of where you can't camp are a small area around deep camp and the area around the Old Orchard Shelter. I think the prettiest spots are north of Thomas Knob.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Camping on 09/10/2013 19:52:35 MDT Print View

nice one Luke, next thing is to convince my buddies to go :-)

Edited by stephenm on 09/10/2013 20:44:07 MDT.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Re Camping on 09/10/2013 20:41:05 MDT Print View

You need to convince "ny" buddies to go? Is that a misspell for "My" or NY as in New York? If you're in New York the "daks" are closer. If you're somewhere else head on over. Unfortunately I don't live there anymore or I'd invite you out for a burger.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re Re Camping on 09/10/2013 20:46:37 MDT Print View

Hi Luke,

yep, that was a typo.
The Dajs are 10 hours for us also, they are also the nearest big mountains to me.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Re Re Re Camping on 09/10/2013 21:57:56 MDT Print View

Stephen you must be living in the depths of hikers purgatory:( Since everything is far away I'd save Grayson for your early spring and fall trips and go someplace a bit cooler in the summer.

John Elbare
(jelbare) - MLife

Locale: Florida
One of my favorite places on 09/11/2013 10:29:02 MDT Print View

I have been there three different times. Great backpacking area. Worth the drive from Florida.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
A Guide to the Grayson Highlands on 09/11/2013 10:42:11 MDT Print View

For "above treeline" areas in the southeast, don't miss the Roan Highlands and some of the balds of Slickrock

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Purgatory on 09/11/2013 10:47:34 MDT Print View

Hi Luke,

I live in Mid Michigan, I am about 2~3 hours from some ok places and 5 hours from the likes of Pictures Rocks in Michigan's Up and Lake superior provincial park in Canada. I am not pushed about summer here but
winter is really good.

I am lucky enough as get back to Ireland/Scotland twice a year and out west the same amount.

Tim Haynes
(timalan)

Locale: Mid Atlantic
Grayson Highlands on 09/11/2013 12:49:51 MDT Print View

Crazy timing -- my wife and I were in the Grayson Highlands this past weekend as an anniversary celebration. Spent three days on the AT trails from Fox Creek down to Damascus, passing through the highlands, and it was awesome. The Highlands part is easily the most beautiful and enjoyable hiking I've done in VA.

For people looking for a similar (but smaller scale) hike, the Dolly Sods area of West Virginia has some of the same feel in places. Different in other ways. Both are incredibly beautiful and are my favorite two hiking areas within ~5 hours of Northern VA/DC area.

Pat Comer
(WPComer) - MLife

Locale: Aborokas
Love the Highlands area on 09/11/2013 19:14:35 MDT Print View

My absolute favorite place in the East to get a sort of Western "fix". I refuse to ever sleep in Thomas Knob shelter again due to the mice though. One falling into my mouth in the middle of the night while sleeping was enough fun for a lifetime !

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: A Guide to the Grayson Highlands on 09/12/2013 18:59:02 MDT Print View

I used to live in northeast TN so Grayson and Roan were my two favorite places. I think they are both wonderful winter camping spots, but agree that you need to be careful of the weather. They are not Ranier or Mt. Washington, but they can have much worse weather/wind at their peaks and gaps than adjoining areas.
Tom

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Love the Highlands area on 09/13/2013 11:13:39 MDT Print View

Pat,

Thanks for that. Don't think I can ever sleep in a shelter again. :)

Ryan