Waterproofing the bottom of down booties?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Waterproofing the bottom of down booties? on 09/09/2013 20:55:44 MDT Print View

I've got some REI down booties that have some sort of dense foam as a sole, with nylon fabric covering it.

What could I spray or paint on that will make the soles waterproof without adding too much weight?

I was thinking just a typical mixture of silicone and mineral spirits like you'd use for seam sealing a tent. Any other ideas?

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
why? on 09/09/2013 21:37:58 MDT Print View

I have the same booties. Why do you need to do that? If you're wearing them in the snow in camp, then they probably won't get very wet. Otherwise, you could just use produce bags from the grocery store or something. Since the rest of the fabric isn't waterproof, unless you sealed the whole thing, I don't think sealing the bottom will do much. And if you seal the entire thing, your for sweat will wet out the down.

Maybe you can seal the bottom seams like you said and just use some good DWR on the rest of the fabric. Like Atsko Snow Seal permanent water guard or water guard extreme from amazon.

Edited by LunchANDYnner on 09/09/2013 21:41:13 MDT.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: why? on 09/09/2013 22:06:55 MDT Print View

Why is a good question indeed.

I found that the bottom did get wet from the heat of my feet melting the snow. Or so it seemed. That moisture found its way into the boots, degrading loft. I wear VBLs in the boots so its not sweat.

I know its not ideal, but I have to assume waterproofing the bottom will help out at least.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: why? on 09/09/2013 22:16:29 MDT Print View

I'd carry a pair of plastic produce or bread bags and some rubber bands to hold them on.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: why? on 09/09/2013 22:18:46 MDT Print View

Trav,

Ben Smith makes decent sil over booties with cordura bottoms with removable foam inserts.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: why? on 09/09/2013 22:23:37 MDT Print View

Craig; yeah, I was also thinking of that, but I was looking for a more permanent, integrated solution. Less fiddle when the temps drop.

Stephen; I'd like some of Ben's stuff, but we're trying to watch expenses.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: Re: Re: why? on 09/09/2013 22:40:29 MDT Print View

Trying to watch expenses Travis?

Craig's sandwich bag bootie covers sound about right.

Now the question is, Iron Kids bread or Milton's Multi Grain?

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Waterproofing the bottom of down booties? on 09/09/2013 22:56:10 MDT Print View

I can't remember what it's called, but I remembering seeing this rubber compound in a tube. You can spray it on the bottom of a shoe sole. It's used on leather soled moccasins or mukluks for better traction.
I think that would work.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: why? on 09/09/2013 23:02:22 MDT Print View

Trav,

Some plastic bags would do the same job :-)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: why? on 09/10/2013 00:15:47 MDT Print View

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I totally get the plastic bag idea, and it will work. But if I can, I'd like to simply coat the bottom with something instead of another layer of "clothing."

I also wonder about the slipperiness of a plastic baggie on snow. Then again, if I coat the bottom of the boots with something, that might be slippery too.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: why? on 09/10/2013 08:17:44 MDT Print View

how about diluted seam sealer.

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
RE: Waterproofing the bottom of down booties on 09/10/2013 11:29:06 MDT Print View

Try the stuff used to recoat waterproof tent fabrics. Kenyon Recoat, McNett TentSure, there are others. They don't add much weight and they mostly soak into the fabric so it doesn't become slick.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: RE: Waterproofing the bottom of down booties on 09/11/2013 04:55:58 MDT Print View

Hmm, there's something to look into. Thanks Elliott