Forum Index » GEAR » Thru-hiker poll: what was your average carried pack weight?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Derek Musashe
(dmusashe) - F - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Thru-hiker poll: what was your average carried pack weight? on 09/09/2013 01:51:17 MDT Print View

All you thru-hikers out there...

I'm just curious: what was your average actual carried pack weight (base weight + food + fuel + water) at the beginning and the end of your thru-hike.

I understand that this will vary a lot depending on the circumstances, but feel free to just ballpark it. I'm simply curious to know how much people are actually carrying on their backs during these long treks.

So, for example, if you were resupplying about every 5 days, then give me your average carried pack weight on day 3 between resupplies, factoring in the average amount of water you carried, etc.

Oh and don't forget to include what trail you hiked as well. Thanks!

Edited by dmusashe on 09/09/2013 01:52:08 MDT.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: Thru-hiker poll: what was your average carried pack weight? on 09/09/2013 03:54:43 MDT Print View

On the NFCT, I carried about 30 pounds in my pack, and the canoe and gear (another 25 pounds.)

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Pct on 09/09/2013 05:55:33 MDT Print View

Start - 24lb (8lb food, 8 lb gear and 8lb water) Could have started with less water.
End - about the same, had the exact same gear.
Heaviest - leaving Kennedy Meadows ( 9 lb gear, 21 lb. food. 2 lbs water ). Way too heavy but food was eaten fast.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Pct on 09/09/2013 06:46:03 MDT Print View

Long trail.. I think my max was 25lb.. probably avg 23lb for 4 days between resupply. I think i had a 14lb baseweight at that point. Last stretch i ditched my tent at my friends house so it was lighter :)

James Reilly
(zippymorocco) - M

Locale: Montana
AT on 09/09/2013 07:57:14 MDT Print View

On the AT my partner and I averaged about 20 lbs leaving town. My base weight was 9 lbs in the beginning (March 5) and a little less then 7 at the end (July). I weighed in at 19 pounds total for the 100 mile wilderness.

robert van putten
(Bawana) - F

Locale: Planet Bob
Light! on 09/09/2013 15:32:30 MDT Print View

You guys got some light packs!
I'm planning an AT hike with my wife next year and unless I learn some new tricks pretty fast we I will be carrying close to 30 pounds when leaving town, and I expect my wifes pack to be about 20.