Forum Index » GEAR » My final frontier: Pack and Tent - suggestions?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Re: Re: Tarptents and trekking poles on 09/10/2013 07:40:48 MDT Print View

He sleeps inside with me. Sometimes I soooo wish he'd sleep in the vestibule, but as I said he likes to crawl under any opening, which of course he doesn't even remotely fit, so that means he pulls stakes out and disaster ensues.

As for the frameless pack, that is a tough one because there is skill involved in packing it, and depending on what you are carrying it might not carry as well. I use the Gossamer Gear Gorilla...which has a removable frame so I get the best of both! It is by far my favorite pack. I also used a circuit on the JMT this year and it was fine, but I still like the gorilla better.

Packs are like shoes though, and fit is very, very personal. And most of these packs you can resell here on gear swap, so go with what you feel most comfortable with, but be ready to swap out if its not great. The cottage gear guys make great stuff, and you'll be able to get rid of whatever you don't like with not too much cost. And you'll learn what works and what doesn't. That's important as you hone your skills.....

Good luck!

Anthony Meaney
(ameaney) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tarptents and trekking poles on 09/10/2013 08:01:50 MDT Print View

Agreed on the packs - it is very personal. But good advice on being able to sell things here if I don't like - hadn't thought of that.

Anthony Meaney
(ameaney) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tarptents and trekking poles on 09/11/2013 13:40:58 MDT Print View

The stratosphire floor space is listed as 19 sq ft
The big agnes at 28

Am I missing something. I can't see giving up 10 sq ft and still having room for the dog??

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tarptents and trekking poles on 09/11/2013 13:44:35 MDT Print View

Agreed on the packs - it is very personal. But good advice on being able to sell things here if I don't like - hadn't thought of that.

theres been several threads of people not being to sell things as much or fast as theyd like unless they drop the price substantially

be prepared to knock off at least 20% right off the bat ... and pay for shipping, which from canada could be a decent amount

if you look at it from a buyers perspective, what the discount that will get them to buy from someone on the internet ... rather than a brand new pack which they can return to the cottage company

;)

Kevin Gurney
(kwgurney) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Lighten-up on 09/11/2013 14:19:10 MDT Print View

I also bought a Catalyst after renting a Circuit (http://www.lowergear.com/rentbackpack.php). I really like the Circuit but felt it would be a bit small for me in capacity; not all my gear is teeny tiny yet (I'm getting there).

My wife and I spent 3 nights in my TarpTent Stratospire 1 this summer. We are both 5'8", appropriate weight for our height, and while we both fit it was "snug". Luckily, we enjoy each other's company! All gear went into the vestibules. The double-entry doors are the best. No climbing over each other to get in/out.

One downside is that to make the SS1 floor wide enough for 2 adults you basically give up your bathroom floor. It gets flattened down to just a ground sheet in the middle. Not a problem until it rains and you find that you have set up in a slight depression. (I know, I know; don't set up in a depression!)

I honestly wouldn't mind having a SS2 when both of us are heading out and use the SS1 when it's just me. Don't have any experience with our dogs. I can imagine them ripping the no-see-um mesh to shreds. You all must have some of those "good dogs" that I hear rumors about.

Best of luck making these gear decisions. Having been where you are not too long ago I know it can be a hard choice. Fortunately, you will almost certainly be happy with what you end up choosing.

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good."

Kevin

Anthony Meaney
(ameaney) - MLife

Re: Re: Lighten-up on 09/11/2013 14:40:35 MDT Print View

How do you find the suspension on the catalyst? Is it adequate for a 20-25lb load??

I don't mind flattening the floor and then making a cozier set up if it rains.

My current dog doesn't rip up the mesh. My prior hiking dog (now retired) did tear a hole in the door of my Big Agnes during a Thunder Storm - note make sure your dog isn't afraid of thunder before you take them into the backcountry for 5 days :)

And for the record I am totally enjoying this process of selecting new gear. It's a hard choice but lot's of fun as well (except for my wallet). The only downside is that I won't get out to test it till next year :(

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
My final frontier: Pack and Tent - suggestions? on 09/11/2013 14:59:02 MDT Print View

This is my clip on the SS1 :

TT SS1
Might give you a better idea of its size.

Kevin Gurney
(kwgurney) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Re: Re: Lighten-up on 09/11/2013 15:00:02 MDT Print View

> How do you find the suspension on the catalyst? Is it adequate for a 20-25lb load??

Yes, plenty adequate. I can't find my packing list for that trip right now, but I believe my pack weight was right around 20 lbs. With consumables and it probably in 20-25 lbs. Maybe slightly higher.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the gear selection process. I look forward to reading trip reports when the Cold Northern Winter has passed and you can get out there again.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
My final frontier: Pack and Tent - suggestions? on 09/11/2013 15:55:14 MDT Print View

My Conduit gets used 30 times for every one time my Catalyst gets used. The Catalyst is just too big most of the time. And I probably use my GG Gorilla more than my Conduit, just depends on how rough the terrain is. Kind of unusual to see someone save the Big 2 for last; that's where the easy weight savings are.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: My final frontier: Pack and Tent - suggestions? on 09/11/2013 15:59:10 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/30/2013 14:58:56 MDT.

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Locale: Wild Wild West
final frontier on 09/11/2013 16:05:56 MDT Print View

Not necessarily Dave & Joe, :-) ya gotta know what you have to put into a pack before you get the pack, at least when starting over. I waited until last to get my pack and tent also. I used an old pack with known carry space then I got both of us two ULA Circuit packs, after getting the tent question settled. I called ULA and asked them which one would be best for 20-25 pounds and the gear I want to carry. The Circuit turned out to be perfect!
Only problem is now I want an Ohm .2 for shorter trips! This BPL is spoiling us.....:-O

Edited by Drusilla on 09/11/2013 16:13:56 MDT.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Re: Lighten-up on 09/11/2013 16:13:37 MDT Print View

Is the tent just for you and the pooch, or two plus the pooch? I find the SS1 literally perfect for me and the dog (no, I wouldn't do 2+dog). And no, he doesn't tear the mesh in this tent. My hexamid? Yep, torn to shreds. But this one he does really well with. The bathtub sides do well enough to keep his pesky paws out of the noseeum.

And what I found about the difference between the big Agnes fly creek 2 and the ss1 is that the fly creek literally had a single place where I could sit up...and that was it. The walls sloped so much it made the "usable" space in the tent much less. The stratospire however, has nearly vertical walls. I have sooooo much more room in that tent it is really, really nice.

Anthony Meaney
(ameaney) - MLife

Re: Re: My final frontier: Pack and Tent - suggestions? on 09/11/2013 16:21:13 MDT Print View

When I started on this journey everything I read said to lighten your load first before considering getting a light pack. No point in getting a sub 3lb pack if you are still going to cram 50 lbs into it.

How is that ass backwards?

Anthony Meaney
(ameaney) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lighten-up on 09/11/2013 17:47:01 MDT Print View

Jennifer just me and the dog.My Hiking Buddy

Edited by ameaney on 09/11/2013 17:54:51 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: My final frontier: Pack and Tent - suggestions? on 09/11/2013 18:16:24 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/30/2013 14:59:33 MDT.

D C
(OCDave)

Locale: Outdoors -MN
Love the dog pack on 09/11/2013 18:39:08 MDT Print View

Ameaney,

How much does your dog carry?

Anthony Meaney
(ameaney) - MLife

Re: Love the dog pack on 09/11/2013 18:49:14 MDT Print View

She carries 5 lbs.

Mostly stuff that I want easy access to and don't mind getting wet:

Water filtration
Doggie Bowl
Rain Gear
Leatherman Skeletool
Doggie booties
First Aid kit
Alcohol (fuel)
body glide
sun block
para cord

The pack is a rough wear palisades the saddle bags detach which makes it easy if we hit tricky ground.

Anthony Meaney
(ameaney) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: My final frontier: Pack and Tent - suggestions? on 09/11/2013 18:58:35 MDT Print View

"No point in getting a sub 3lb pack if you are still going to cram 50 lbs into it."

No, that would be stupid and please direct me where that was said"

Exactly it would be stupid, one might even say "Ass-backwards"

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My final frontier: Pack and Tent - suggestions? on 09/11/2013 19:13:10 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/30/2013 15:00:57 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My final frontier: Pack and Tent - suggestions? on 09/11/2013 19:13:59 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/30/2013 15:00:05 MDT.