Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Show me your nested cook sets!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mole J
(MoleJ) - F

Locale: UK
Re: Show me your nested cook sets! on 09/09/2013 01:29:22 MDT Print View

Hi. My goto alcohol setup is based on an 850ml MSR Ti Kettle , an Evernew 400ml Ti mug, and a MYOG Cone (split ). and a Starlyte stove. Details and photos here:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/my-current-lightweight-nesting--cooking-setup----not-minimalist/50104.html

It works for 2 if using dehydrated meals or freezer bag type.

I don't always take the 400mug when solo.

If I want to do real cooking or use a fire I use other setups.

G H
(NotLight) - F

Locale: Midwest
Snow Peak Solo Cook Kit on 09/09/2013 17:28:00 MDT Print View

I think the Snow Peak Solo Cook kit posted above by Mike W is a very good place for you to start. Everything WILL nest together in a small package, with your stove and fuel inside the main tall pot. They sell those kits at that big recreational equipment store - go have a look at it.

If you find you need something more later on, Snow Peak also sells a larger pot that Mike W's set will nest neatly and compactly inside. They also sell those at that big recreational equipment store - go have a look.

If you want something still more extravagent, I would add to Mike W's setup plus the outside nesting pot. but not with something nesting. For example, I would add an MSR flex skillet. The flex skillet can cook just about anything - fish, pizza, biscuits. Plus it's deep enough to boil in and use as a saucepot. The extra flex skillet does't really take up any room in your pack if you fill it with other gear, and it "only" weighs about 8oz. I don't think it's important that the skillet nests with your other pots, and I actually think trying to do that is a mistake because you won't get the best combination of pots that way.

The problem with doing much more than that, is you have to clean all these dishes somehow, plus you'll need cooking utensils, maybe plates - it just starts to snowball and you end up ruining the whole experience because you're carrying way too much junk.

Kent C.
(kent) - M

Locale: High Sierra
cook set that stores inside on 09/09/2013 23:39:06 MDT Print View

I too, like when it all fits inside. Esbit has its drawbacks, but I accept them.

Here's my setup for FBC - just boil water (4.05 oz w/o Esbit):

cook set 1

cook set 2

cook set 3

cook set 4

The rectangular Altoids lid is just backup in case I burn thru the soda can bottom.

I use a trimmed, fold-over sandwich bag to protect the inside of the pot when not in use (from esbit residue), and a cut down Subway sandwich bag for the outside of the pot (same reason - residue). The mesh bag is a net bag from fresh lemons; cinch-cord is mason's line. This mesh bag combo is actually a few grams lighter that the one that came with the pot (a BPL FireLite 550), and much easier to slip pot into.

edit: fixed html error

Edited by kent on 09/09/2013 23:48:16 MDT.