Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Paleo backpackers??

Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug Wolfe
(Wolfie2nd) - F
Paleo backpackers?? on 09/08/2013 12:07:36 MDT Print View

I was wondering how many paleo BPers there are out there and what you eat???? I started my paleo way of life almost 4 weeks ago and don't cheat I feel no need to cheat . I feel a huge difference in how I feel.
My typical diet on the trail consisted of oatmeal, gorp,cliff bars and mountain house. All carb loaded!!
Now I'm stumped I have a trip coming up next weekend and have no clue what to eat I complete forgot about having to change my trail diet. I'm also one who loves having a hot meal can't go stove less.
Anyone help me out here with a quick fix to my problem????

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Paleo backpackers?? on 09/08/2013 12:48:48 MDT Print View

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=58668

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=56666

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Paleo meals for backpackers on 09/08/2013 12:52:11 MDT Print View

I think you can keep to Paleo while backpacking, but it will take a little extra effort/money.

Breakfast: Google "Paleo energy bars" -- you'll find a few commercial products available, plus tons of recipes (cheaper, but more work).

Snacks: Make your own GORP (most of which is Paleo-friendly, anyway). Nut butters in a squeeze tube (or Justin's little packs).

Lunch: Meat/poultry/salmon jerky; foil-packs of tuna/salmon; hard-boiled eggs; freeze-dried veggies (just munch as-is, or re-hydrate in cold water); dried fruit of choice.

Dinner: This is the more challenging meal for Paleo. Some suggestions off the top of my head:
- powdered eggs with freeze-dried veggies and/or re-hydrated freeze-dried meat = omelet
- vacuum-sealed smoked salmon portions (maybe not in bear country)
- buy separately freezed-dried meat and veggies; combine on your own and rehydrate (talk to Packit Gourmet, they will likely help you)
- bring your own pre-cooked, pre-frozen meal for the first night
- finally, remember that most Paleo people incorporate a certain amount of "cheating" into their program, and with the increased calorie demands of backpacking, you'll never get a more justifiable cheat time. ;~)

Bon appetit!

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
Re: on 09/08/2013 13:11:31 MDT Print View

I eat primally (paleo plus cheese and winel) at home. I'm a little more flexible on the trail with the addition of quinoa pasta and mashed potato.

Breakfasts are usually sausage or bacon and mashed potato, sweet potato hash, freeze dried egg concoctions

Lunches- salami (I really like the olli salumeria pasture raised pork products) and hard cheeses, hard boiled eggs, jerky, larabars, nuts

Dinners- any regular meal thrown on my dehydrator- meat chili, beef stew, taco salad (seasoned beef, dehydrated cabbage and other veggies, salsa, porkitos.) spaghetti squash with meat sauce, sweet potato bark with freeze dried chicken, quinoa with sausage or chicken

I usually end up with about 50% fat, 30% carbs, and 20% protein, a little more carb than I typically eat at home.

Jeff Sims
(jeffreytsims) - MLife

Locale: So. Cal
options on 09/08/2013 14:01:54 MDT Print View

http://www.stevespaleogoods.com

http://primalpacs.com

I tend to live 80/20 when it comes to Paleo. Started out 100% about 4 years go and just found a happy balance for my body that works with my lifestyle. I travel excessively for work and have found solid snack and meal replacement opportunities above.

Doug Wolfe
(Wolfie2nd) - F
All great info on 09/08/2013 15:20:46 MDT Print View

I'm going super heavy next weekend with tuna salmon and lots of nuts with powered eggs mixed in

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: options on 09/09/2013 05:14:54 MDT Print View

Epic bars are good too. I have one for breakfast, some gorp as snacks and lunch is anything from hard salami, hard boiled egg. I found that backpacking is more like Jeff's lifestyle...80/20. I needed more carbs by the third day out.

Kimberly Wersal
(kwersal) - MLife

Locale: Western Colorado
Paleo trail food on 09/09/2013 21:51:50 MDT Print View

Jerky, pemmican, dried sausages, nuts, dried fruit, Larabars, (cheese for Primal eaters), tuna pouches, plantain chips,, zucchini chips, dark chocolate ... The best option for strict Paleo hot meals is to make chili/stew/soups and dehydrate them for dinner. Curries are nice. When backpacking, I will sometimes add in rice or potatoes for homemade FBC meals when I'm not being strict.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Paleo backpackers?? on 09/10/2013 02:05:00 MDT Print View

Ovaeasy eggs are pretty good. I have had them for breakfast for the last few trips, but am now tending towards a no cook breakfast to get on the move more quickly.

I don't go paleo but I am sugar, dried fruit and wheat free. I think coconut butter may be OK for a paleo option. I currently eat a lot of almond/brazil nut butter on the trail and am thinking of adding in some coconut butter mixed with raw cacao powder and a little honey for a change.

I also eat cheese for the first couple of days and jerky. For dinner it is salami and noodles (rice or bean). Fat is added with dried coconut milk.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Paleo backpackers?? on 09/29/2013 19:35:34 MDT Print View

Here's some paleo food I had on my last trip.
http://gossamergear.com/wp/tips/backpacking-with-no-cook-foods

Doug Wolfe
(Wolfie2nd) - F
Great ideas thanks on 09/30/2013 03:31:44 MDT Print View

Great ideas thanks! I need to dig my dehydrator out and get to work my favorite season is right around the corner...

ANTHONY FRANKLIN
(REDWOOD82) - F

Locale: Piedmont of the Carolinas
Paleo backpacking on 10/29/2013 08:47:27 MDT Print View

This has been a challenge for me.

Without owning a food dehydrator, I was limited the last time I went out for 3 day trip on the AT.

If I remember correctly, I did my homemade cereal for breakfasts. Theres no recipe really, its just mainly a combo of sliced almonds and shredded coconut, with some honey and pumpkin pie spice, baked on a cookie sheet until crispy / crunchy. I just ate it dry while walking. I don't miss cooking and eating mushy instant oatmeal one bit! I was able to keep up with my hiking partners eating their pop tarts while hiking, and I stayed full longer.

Lunch was foil packet tuna (in olive oil, not water!), with some relish and mustard packets for impromptu tuna salad. If it weren't for cost I would have just done jerky and some dried kale or seaweed.

Dinner was some eye of round beef jerky I dehydrated in the oven (kind of a pain)and some baby spinach, with some bullion for a soup.

For snacks between meals, I ate a lot of almonds, macadamias, dried fruit, and Larabars. I found myself looking forward to the chewy sweet Larabar and kinda disgusted by almonds after 2 days out. Dark chocolate was a precious commodity I wish I brought more of, I definitely reccomend it for the fat you need to stay fueled, and that is hard to get from other sources.

After a year of being paleo / primal, I also find that rice in moderation is not a huge deal to me and I sometiems have it, even while abstaining from other grains. If I had to pack up today for a trip, I would do some instant rice or instant potatoes to help fill out dinner. I also want to buy a dehydrater to bring out more veggies / homemade soup mixes.

Edited by REDWOOD82 on 10/29/2013 08:54:40 MDT.

Monty Montana
(TarasBulba) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Paleo backpacking on 11/06/2013 23:25:07 MST Print View

Decades ago, when under the tutelage of a trapper, I was given this advice from someone who had lived through many winters: "Don't just eat fish, you will starve!" I believe him.