Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » "nothing will hit us, we will not die, we will not drown, in JESUS name"

Display Avatars Sort By:
eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
"nothing will hit us, we will not die, we will not drown, in JESUS name" on 09/08/2013 11:48:03 MDT Print View

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZJtEkqeKUw

;)

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: "nothing will hit us, we will not die, we will not drown, in JESUS name" on 09/08/2013 15:45:30 MDT Print View

I have received a couple of complaints about the religeous comments in this video. I don't think the people complaining have ever experienced a flood in a canyon, and simply do not understand.

Sue and I have done a lot of canyoning in our time. Only once have we been through a canyon during a storm, and it was one of the closest passes we have ever had with death. Fortunately, we were able to exit sideways, but it was close.

Quite frankly, I don't care what religeous comments were made at the peak of the chaos. The leadership displayed was good. That the four survived was all that matters.

Cheers
Roger

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: Re: "nothing will hit us, we will not die, we will not drown, in JESUS name" on 09/08/2013 16:15:39 MDT Print View

Who cares?

First it's a private site so the owner can leave it or remove it as he likes.

Second, there are plenty of religious people around. Do you really want to start discriminating?

Third, it's a canyoneering / flash flood video. The people in its personal views are there own. It doesn't diminish the video.

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"nothing will hit us, we will not die, we will not drown, in JESUS name" on 09/08/2013 16:34:46 MDT Print View

"I have received a couple of complaints about the religeous comments in this video."

Really? Surprised but maybe shouldn't be. What is the nature of the complaints?

If someone has a problem with the content of the video why don't they post up here for all to see?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: "nothing will hit us, we will not die, we will not drown, in JESUS name" on 09/08/2013 17:18:46 MDT Print View

"I have received a couple of complaints about the religeous comments in this video. I don't think the people complaining have ever experienced a flood in a canyon, and simply do not understand.

Sue and I have done a lot of canyoning in our time. Only once have we been through a canyon during a storm, and it was one of the closest passes we have ever had with death. Fortunately, we were able to exit sideways, but it was close."

Amen, brother! And I'm not religious.

Having lived in the desert for over 35 years I have seen a lot of flash floods, too include two 100 year floods (1977 and 1979). Only once was I in potential danger, but I moved to safe ground when the rain started, even though I was not anticipating a flood.

These usually happen in the U.S. Southwest in August and September when storms move their way up from the Gulf of Mexico.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: "nothing will hit us, we will not die, we will not drown, in JESUS name" on 09/08/2013 17:27:29 MDT Print View

I was one who flagged it because it seems like it belongs in chaff. Complain away ; ).

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
How do you do it Nick on 09/08/2013 17:28:38 MDT Print View

"Only once was I in potential danger, but I moved to safe ground when the rain started, even though I was not anticipating a flood."

Seems like a pretty good track record Nick. Would you care to share your system for not dying in floods. Its a new topic for me since I've done most of my hiking in the mountains. Obviously I'll check the weather first.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: "nothing will hit us, we will not die, we will not drown, in JESUS name" on 09/08/2013 17:34:43 MDT Print View

well to be fully comprehensive and fair on all objections, at 0:33 of the video someone says: "Holy Cow." How come no one gets offended by that?

Some religions worship the tasty cow as a deity, that I enjoy eating.

Come on guys... I make it a point to antagonize my sensitive friends, because I'm a jerk, by using archaic exclamations such as: "Oh My Zeus" and "Poseidon help us" and my favorite "in the name of Hogwarts!"

Incidentally, Poseidon is a water deity, so that would have been relevant for a flash flood, no?

just saying... just because those names are for ancient gods, doesn't make them less fashionable, or does it?

that's it, I'm gonna end up in Hades (Greek hell, but what if I'm not Greek?)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Jesus, Armondo, Allen, my neighbors on 09/08/2013 17:51:24 MDT Print View

"it seems like it belongs in chaff"

disagree. It's on topic for this forum

General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion

General discussion of lightweight hiking/backpacking and other backcountry activities.

Edited by rcaffin on 09/09/2013 00:33:29 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: How do you do it Nick on 09/08/2013 17:52:47 MDT Print View

Flash floods can occur even when it isn't raining in your location. So you need to be aware of the terrain when hiking in desert country. Normally in deserts when it rains, even in the "rainy" season of Jan and February, the rain is light even if it rains for a couple of days. In summer the rain can dump several inches in a very short period, and often the weather forecast is for a chance of afternoon thunder showers, without flash flood warnings.

The one I mentioned was when I was in a canyon descending from the peak of Pinto Mountain in Joshua Tree. I had put together a loop and the final leg was to descend a series of canyons -- not technical stuff. Then it started raining, so I moved out of the canyon (being it was September) to a small ridge and watched the canyon fill with water, even though the rain wasn't a downpour. I ended up working my down a much longer route, not technically hard. Then I found a high spot on top of a sand dune to spend the night. Next morning was blue skies and an easy hike back to my car.

When you get into large canyon systems, retreat may not be easy.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re Re How do you do it Nick on 09/08/2013 17:58:19 MDT Print View

Thanks Nick, I may have more desert hiking in my future so I'll remember that.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
more canyons, first hand account on 09/08/2013 20:00:37 MDT Print View

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-QgjNvafIw

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
i am... on 09/08/2013 20:10:00 MDT Print View

i am the creator of chaff.

you shall bow before me.

Chris .
(cwb) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
complaints? on 09/08/2013 20:43:24 MDT Print View

Some people will get butthurt complain over anything. Why the need to complain over the prayer? There are no athiests in a foxhole. That's hairy, glad they made it and cool video.

Edited by cwb on 09/08/2013 20:59:02 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: complaints? on 09/08/2013 20:53:36 MDT Print View

"There are no athiests in a foxhole."

Not only is that an ignorant statement, it's pure bullshit.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Re: complaints? on 09/08/2013 20:58:55 MDT Print View

well it's like the old joke, everyone believes in God for 30 secs at 140 mph or when having coitus.

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG.

it's a joke. see, it's not really a scientific survey. that is why it's a joke. it's supposed to bring a funny element into the discussion. Until you have to explain the joke, then the joke is murdered, but again it's a joke, an expression, so no actual murder occurred.

Oh my Zeus!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: complaints? on 09/08/2013 21:03:01 MDT Print View

Gosh Dodge, sure glad we have you around to explain the intent behind other people's posts. Sure glad so you're so omniscient, don't know how we ever got on without you in the past.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: "nothing will hit us, we will not die, we will not drown, in JESUS name" on 09/08/2013 21:05:50 MDT Print View

Amazing video Eric; thanks for sharing. Glad everyone made it out of there alive.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: Re: Re: Re: complaints? on 09/08/2013 21:21:53 MDT Print View

Gosh Doug. Thanks for screwing up this thread even more.

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah
Re: Re: complaints? on 09/08/2013 21:42:16 MDT Print View

"There are no athiests in a foxhole."

Not only is that an ignorant statement, it's pure bullshit.

+1

Jeremy B.
(requiem) - F - M

Locale: Northern California
Re: Re: "nothing will hit us, we will not die, we will not drown, in JESUS name" on 09/08/2013 22:52:54 MDT Print View

I was getting a kick out of all the D&D-inspired comments on the youtube thread:

"Who's the warlock in the group? I can hear spells being cast."
\-- "I think in this situation they should have summoned a creature with flying ability.."
\-- "To be fair they did summon a creature that walks on water."
"At least there was a Cleric in the raid."

But since someone mentioned foxholes:
"oh god nothing worse than a theist in a foxhole. everybody trying to think clearly of how to survive and one guy yelling "DEAR JESUS PUT A FORCEFIELD AROUND US I SUMMON YOU""

(everything in quotes property of their original poster)

Long live chaff!

Peter S
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
Please on 09/09/2013 03:32:25 MDT Print View

Let's keep religion out of BPL

or at least move it to chaff ;-)

Edited by prse on 09/09/2013 03:35:44 MDT.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Move to Chan please on 09/09/2013 04:20:28 MDT Print View

Can the moderators move this to Chan please :).

Chris .
(cwb) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
ha on 09/09/2013 06:07:24 MDT Print View

Always good to be reminded that atheists are the worst sort of religious fanatics out there.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Please on 09/09/2013 06:14:47 MDT Print View

Chaff drive, engaged.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
chan on 09/09/2013 06:18:01 MDT Print View

"Move it to chan"...
That's pretty funny.

Edited by Kat_P on 09/09/2013 06:18:38 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: chan on 09/09/2013 08:21:39 MDT Print View

Whose van with the "Free Candy" sign is that I see in front of my house..... Ken?

Anywho... as long as no one mentions the "G" word, this thread will probably be ok.

Edit: violated one of my pet peeves

Edited by IDBLOOM on 09/09/2013 08:23:01 MDT.

Peter S
(prse) - MLife

No problem on 09/09/2013 08:37:17 MDT Print View

No problem being called fanatic, as long as it's in chaff... :-)

Peter S
(prse) - MLife

Moderators on 09/09/2013 08:39:09 MDT Print View

Please move to chaff...

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Moderators on 09/09/2013 08:46:02 MDT Print View

Peter,

I've been on this forum for less than a year so I don't claim to know all things BPL. I'm not aware of one thread being moved since I've been here and I believe Roger mentioned a month or so ago (if I'm wrong I'll edit this) that isn't possible.

Because I haven't seen a train driven off a cliff this week, I'll start a continuation thread in Chaff.

Peter S
(prse) - MLife

Re: Re: Moderators on 09/09/2013 08:52:49 MDT Print View

Hi Ian, thanks. I'll stop hitting the report button...

Edited by prse on 09/09/2013 08:57:34 MDT.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: ha on 09/09/2013 09:45:36 MDT Print View

"Always good to be reminded that atheists are the worst sort of religious fanatics out there."

Reason is a troublesome SOB isn't it?

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Complaints on 09/09/2013 10:34:11 MDT Print View

Here's my complaint:

Must we sterilize our entire existence to the point where mere mention of a God/deity/religious figure/or anything else for that matter brings criticism?

I could see if the video was proselytizing and it was someone's agenda to push beliefs....but even then, who cares? Keep calm and carry on.

Good Lord. I'm just gonna sit my butt on the couch and stare at the wall until I expire. That way, I'll be sure to not offend anyone.

Oh wait, I said Lord. Ahhh! I said it again! I'm gonna go into my basement now and flog myself.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Slot Canyon on 09/09/2013 10:55:27 MDT Print View

Like Nick, I've been in a "100-year flood" (which seem to happen pretty darn often, but that one in 1978 did damage trails in the GCNP that took many years to repair, so maybe. . .) . And I've been in lots of slot canyon, some after incredible storm damage.

I'd never want to be in a slot canyon while a monsoon rain was happening anywhere upstream. A co-worker experienced that while gold mining in South America - why is the water a foot deeper? What is rumbling noise? and then scrambling up the ropes as a wall of water came down on them. The guys in this youtube were not in a terribly threatening situation. They got wet. They got muddy. I didn't hear any boulders tumbling down the canyon walls (I found that a particularly scary aspect of being in a canyon in a downpour). I didn't see rocks, logs, etc, getting washed downstream. I didn't see the canyon bottom filling up with 10 or 20 feet of water.

It looks like there are doing what cavers call a "pull-down" trip in which you pull down your ropes as you go. Some of the most harrowing stories in the annual summary of US caving accidents are on such trips. You're committed and if there's an injury, the cave has changed, or the weather changes, you're still committed to do the whole thing. Pull-down trips require more planning, more contingencies, a stronger group, and a more conservative response to weather forecasts. They just do.

My first thought during the video was, "Why are they telling guys to come DOWN and then happy they did?" I had other thoughts about "WTH is his hand ABOVE his figure-8/ATC?" because my hands are only ever BELOW my rappel device.

But back to the chaffy nature of this thread: When we were soaked through, with sticks and rocks in my hair, getting hailed on, we ducked under an overhang and were appreciative of the insulating properties of large German tourists who were towards the outside.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Complaints on 09/09/2013 10:57:44 MDT Print View

eric's subject "nothing will hit us, we will not die, we will not drown, in JESUS name" implies that eric is being critical of their religious belief?

at least that's how people interpreted, and that's what people are responding to

if the subject had been "people survive flash flood" there would have been no controversy

I'm not criticizing eric's choice of subject or the responses, just that all the responses were inevitible, sort of like if you release and apple, it's inevitible it will fall to the ground : )

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Complaints on 09/09/2013 11:06:14 MDT Print View

> if you release and apple, it's inevitible it will fall to the ground : )

Nuh uh, Jerry. What if you're in outer space? ;)

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: Complaints on 09/09/2013 11:07:39 MDT Print View

it will fall more slowly

Richard May
(richardmay)

Locale: Costa Rica
trolling or proselytizing on 09/09/2013 11:32:22 MDT Print View

I'm still on the fence about the title...

It could be proselytizing if the OP believes that calling on 'Jesus name' started a miracle and hopes the video will constitute proof of supernatural forces at play.

It could be trolling if he's sitting in his armchair right now laughing at the uproar he's caused.

... or maybe it's just a video of a group caught in a flash flood that survived. They prayed with classic pentecostal gusto as is probably the speakers custom. It's their right, especially given they had Death staring them in the face.

Me? Without further evidence, I'll go with option two (it's more fun than the others). It's just too easy to get people riled up with a simple idea. And it's fun watching people boil over something this insignificant.

Life and let live.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: trolling or proselytizing on 09/09/2013 11:38:54 MDT Print View

"
It could be proselytizing if the OP believes that calling on 'Jesus name' started a miracle and hopes the video will constitute proof of supernatural forces at play."

And what if he is proselytizing?
I have no problem with that. Most likely won't work on me....but I don't mind an atheist making their case so I don't mind a faithful one making their case either.
Attempting to ban/ censure religion is not better than calling for the marginalization of atheists.
It seems obvious to me.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
What a lot of hoopla over nothing. on 09/09/2013 11:50:18 MDT Print View

Having viewed the video, the religious aspect of it is a very short section of a 5 minute video about heavy rain/flash flood. Somehow some people have chosen to get all offended about it instead of focusing on the actual point. Perhaps that's because the OP chose to make religion his topic, instead of the flash flood. But the video itself appears to be rather innocuous to me. I can certainly say I would not have wanted to have been there. It would have been scary.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: Re: "nothing will hit us, we will not die, we will not drown, in JESUS name" on 09/09/2013 13:01:17 MDT Print View

BPL, go home, you're drunk.

This forum is continuing it's abysmal nose dive into oblivion.

Peter S
(prse) - MLife

Eugene on 09/09/2013 14:24:52 MDT Print View

Eugene, the only problem is that this isn't in chaff... People, move to chaff please...come on, there you go... Good chaffer!

Richard May
(richardmay)

Locale: Costa Rica
drunk on 09/09/2013 14:52:24 MDT Print View

I need to visit chaff more often... that's where I can go drunk!

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Melchizedek priesthood on 09/10/2013 11:44:46 MDT Print View

No doubt they felt it necessary to have the powers of the Melchizedek priesthood invoked during such a scary time. They did the right thing, they survived.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
2 Timothy 3:12 on 09/10/2013 11:58:16 MDT Print View

"In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted,"

Hey, it's a free country.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Complaints on 09/11/2013 01:05:56 MDT Print View

hmm how to make this thread nose dive at chaff hyper speed?

like this:

if they carried guns, they could have fired at the rocks in the slot canyon, to create an opening for them to escape or re-direct the water flow elsewhere, like in the movies.

Since there are BPL readers with handicapped humor sensors, or child under developed brains, I am required to kill the joke by stating that this is a joke. shooting at rocks will get everyone killed.