Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Pushing a 50F Syn quilt below its rating.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Pushing a 50F Syn quilt below its rating. on 09/07/2013 21:12:56 MDT Print View

Hi folks,

I am wondering at what temperatures would the below setup would be comfortable to.

Exped Synmat UL 7.
EE Prodigy 50f.
Stoic Hadron Down hoody.
Montbell Ul inner pants
Goose Feet booties.
Cap 2 top and leggings.
primaloft beanie.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edit: Just purchased a EE Rev x 20f to fill this role, I will use the Syn quilt if the forecast is above 60f and as winter over bag

Edited by stephenm on 09/08/2013 15:25:16 MDT.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Pushing a 50F Syn quilt below its rating. on 09/07/2013 21:24:21 MDT Print View

I'm guessing around freezing comfortably.
But that's just a guess.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re Re Pushing a 50F Syn quilt below its rating on 09/07/2013 21:39:14 MDT Print View

I'm hesitant to make recommendations but with the setup you have I'd probably feel safe to about 35-40 for short nights. In other words if its summer and it will only dip to 35 for a couple hours you're probably fine, if its a long night continuously at 35 I'd be more concerned.
Keep in mind I'm just one guy and I've pushed limits and had a couple cold miserable nights for my trouble.
I think freezing would be pushing things a lot, you might not die but you might not sleep much either.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Re: Re Re Pushing a 50F Syn quilt below its rating on 09/07/2013 21:55:53 MDT Print View

Is the goose feet hoody a down hoody? If so that's 2 down hoodies, lots of upper torso insulation.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re:nm on 09/07/2013 22:03:53 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by kthompson on 09/07/2013 22:04:36 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re Re Pushing a 50F Syn quilt below its rating on 09/07/2013 22:04:04 MDT Print View

Cheers Luke,

I am thinking 40f myself just wanted to hear what folk had to say.

Hi Justin,

I typed hoody instead if booties :-)

Thanks both,

Stephen

p.s. I bought the 50f quilt a while back for summer trips in Michigan and to use as an overbag in winter but the temps have been getting down to 45f

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re Re Pushing a 50F Syn quilt below its rating on 09/07/2013 22:06:08 MDT Print View

just edited that one Ken :-)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re Re Pushing a 50F Syn quilt below its rating on 09/07/2013 22:17:29 MDT Print View

I would backyard test this setup but our adopted stray cat would more than likely try to claw its way in during the night.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Re: Re: Re Re Pushing a 50F Syn quilt below its rating on 09/07/2013 22:18:17 MDT Print View

With 1 down hoody, Luke is probably right.
40 sounds reasonable if the quilt is somewhat accurately rated (EE is a well respected company, so I would I think so.)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re Re Pushing a 50F Syn quilt below its rating on 09/07/2013 22:20:37 MDT Print View

Spot on Justin,

I do have a warmer Gooses Feet Hoody I could use but at that stage I would be better of packing my Wm alpinelite.

And E
(LunchANDYnner)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
probably down to freezing on 09/07/2013 22:35:24 MDT Print View

I've taken a 45* cheap lafuma synthetic bag down to 35 with a Klymit static V (r 1.0) with only thin running tights and 150 wool shirt with a MH Compressor PL synthetic jacket and light socks and a thin beanie. I slept fine through the night but admittedly, I was cold in the morning when I woke up and wanted to snooze a little before getting up.

However, sounds like you've got much more insulation than I did so I'd think you'd be able to take it down to around freezing. I've got a hadron anorak hoodie now, too and it's a very warm jacket for the weight. Throw on your windshirt or rain shell under the down jacket and that should give you even more warmth.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Probably Down to freezing on 09/07/2013 22:45:27 MDT Print View

One VERY important thing I forgot to mention, I used a bivy when I took mine down to 35. That adds a few degrees of warmth in any situation and it makes a huge difference if you are using a quilt not a sleeping bag. I would NOT take that quilt down below 45-50 without a bivy because the drafts would be miserable. YMMV

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: probably down to freezing on 09/07/2013 22:53:41 MDT Print View

Good idea on the windshirt/rainshell, if they where dry I could wear them over the Hadron/ul inner trousers to somewhat negate the cold spots from the sewn threw baffles.

My big issue is I am such a light sleeper (even after copious amouns of booze) that if I wake up even slightly cold I find it hard to get back to sleep.

I have tried out a few 30f down quilts but the hassle of migrating down always bothered me and thats why I use a 20f bag.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re Probably Down to freezing on 09/07/2013 22:57:28 MDT Print View

Very good advice Luke, I used a 30f quilt last year down to 20f with appropiate clothing and the drafts pissed me off, that's where I realised I need a 58" wide quilt.

Edited by stephenm on 09/07/2013 22:59:56 MDT.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Drafts on 09/07/2013 23:00:40 MDT Print View

I think that is the limiting factor. At some point no matter how many clothes you wear you're going to have drafts and cold spots. Once I had money for a warmer quilt I quit using the 50 degree quilt except on summer trips. I'd skimp on clothing instead because I could warm up by hiking.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: probably down to freezing on 09/07/2013 23:02:13 MDT Print View

"My big issue is I am such a light sleeper (even after copious amouns of booze)"

Copious amounts of booze may aid in putting you to sleep, but supposedly alcohol interferes greatly with the quality of sleep. Also, alcohol causes you to vent heat much quicker than you would without it, so you will tend to sleep colder.

After decades of training, I've gotten to the point where I want to consume the least alcohol possible before sleep.

--B.G.--

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: probably down to freezing on 09/07/2013 23:07:01 MDT Print View

Bob,

I hardly ever drink booze while backpacking, but when car camping at a Music festival it kind of goes with the territory :-)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Drafts on 09/07/2013 23:10:36 MDT Print View

Most definitley Luke, its not an exercise to save money as have a WM aplinelite and Puma but more so to see if those clothing items could keep me warm on a summer trip that ended up colder.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
40F on 09/08/2013 00:33:03 MDT Print View

~40F with the down

~30F with all the tricks ... wearing everything including the rain jacket, putting yr feet in yr pack, and a hawt nalgene ... you probably wont be too comfortable but youll be fine

;)

Joe A
(dirtbaghiker) - M
testing on 09/08/2013 07:42:59 MDT Print View

I would test it out at varrying temperatures. If the cat is a problem, try going to a campsite where u can bail at any given time if needed. You don't want to caught miles deep in the backcountry at 2 am and find yourself freezing!!!