Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Backpacking Smoothie Recipes, anyone?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Backpacking Smoothie Recipes, anyone? on 09/05/2013 13:56:00 MDT Print View

I would like to create my own homemade backpacking smoothies (just add water) for use on the trail. I was thinking of using Ensure powder as the base, adding powdered yogurt and freeze-dried fruit. Does anyone have a tried-and-true recipe that they've used before for this? [I already know about Packit Gourmet's smoothies, but they are quite pricey for longer trips, and I also want to be able to customize my flavors.]

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Backpacking Smoothie Recipes, anyone? on 09/05/2013 22:54:15 MDT Print View

http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/creamsicle-protein-smoothie
That is one of mine. It is something I need to revisit :-)

Laurie Gibson
(lagibson) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Re: Backpacking Smoothie Recipes, anyone? on 09/06/2013 09:39:39 MDT Print View

The recipe for breakfast fruit smoothie in "Feasting in the Wild Country" by Mary M. Holmes (available as an $10 emailed file from brasslite.com) is the one I use.

Edit: She suggests many flavor variations.
I have no affiliation with the author or brasslite.com.

Edited by lagibson on 09/06/2013 09:43:00 MDT.

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Re: Backpacking Smoothie Recipes, anyone? on 09/06/2013 10:26:24 MDT Print View

Gack, Sarah -- I should've checked your site first!!!! My only issue (which I forgot to mention -- major insomnia bout) is that I have a slight lactose intolerance, but I could easily substitute Ensure powder for the milk powder... or rice milk powder or almond milk powder...

Thanks, ladies!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Re: Backpacking Smoothie Recipes, anyone? on 09/06/2013 15:50:09 MDT Print View

I am thinking of making a new version soon so my youngest can have some. With SunWarrior original protein powder - it is just brown spouted rice and salt. We shall see!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Backpacking Smoothie Recipes, anyone? on 09/08/2013 15:50:43 MDT Print View

The basic fruit smoothie has some dry milk base, typically a mixture of Whey powder or else Ensure powder, plus some natural fruit flavor. For the fruit flavor, I normally take some f.d. strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, or cherry and whiz it into a powder using a blender. All of that gets carried in dry. Then it is mixed with cold water and shaken until it is smooth. That much, I have.

The problem is that the f.d. berry powder does not seem to want to mix well with the milk base. Do I need something to act as an emulsifier?

Currently I use a 12-ounce plastic bowl with a screw lid as my shaker. It seems necessary to have something with a wide mouth like this since there is so much stuff that does not mix up well, and it has to be cleaned out by hand afterwards. Is there a better method?

Maybe I need a solar-powered blender!

--B.G.--

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Re: "Backpacking Smoothie Recipes, anyone?" on 09/08/2013 16:53:18 MDT Print View

Bob, I bet Sarah will know. I wonder if it would help if you kept the f/d fruit powder separate and re-hydrated it for several minutes first... But if you're bringing a backcountry blender...it's margarita time!!! ;~)Emoji

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
cleanup on 09/08/2013 19:41:33 MDT Print View

The cleanup would be the show stopper for me. Its why i wont bother with protein powder mixes on trail either.
Anything with protein in it will stink to high heaven if not washed out well.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Re: "Backpacking Smoothie Recipes, anyone?" on 09/08/2013 22:09:07 MDT Print View

http://www.blenderbottle.com/products.html/

Don't laugh. These bottles rock. If you drink protein blends, they work wonderful.

Although at home I just run everything my Vitamix 5200 :-D

Richard Cullip
(RichardCullip) - M

Locale: San Diego County
Re: Blender Bottles on 09/08/2013 22:17:56 MDT Print View

Ah, shaken not stirred! (said in my best Bond imitation)

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Re: Blender Bottles on 09/08/2013 22:24:39 MDT Print View

;-)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: "Backpacking Smoothie Recipes, anyone?" on 09/08/2013 22:26:05 MDT Print View

Sarah, blenderbottle looks nice, but 4 ounces seems heavy for a one trick pony. Maybe the wire whisk ball is the secret, and maybe I can find a lighter substitute. Of course, I would have to make sure that I didn't swallow the ball.

--B.G.--

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Re: Blender Bottles on 09/09/2013 10:15:00 MDT Print View

Bob -- you can get just the blender-ball on eBay for under $2 (search "whisk ball").

And about the clean-up, for MB, I was going to mix the whole thing in a freezer bag, rinse quickly with H20 afterwards, and relegate to my trash. I guess whether the extra fb is worth it depends how much you like smoothies for breakfast...

But it still begs the question as to how the Packit Gourmet smoothies emulsify the fruit...

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Re: Blender Bottles on 09/09/2013 13:31:31 MDT Print View

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/fruit-smoothies.aspx#.Ui4h7GR4ZIg

And if you look how it is done, you won't be drinking it ;-) Palm oils are a miracle ;-)

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Re: Re: Blender Bottles on 09/09/2013 15:03:21 MDT Print View

Well, I'd probably drink the palm oil product on a backpacking trip, but I also like to bring Cheetos!!!! I don't *usually* eat like that when I'm home, though... :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Ha! on 09/09/2013 19:15:16 MDT Print View

You know it ;-)

Colton Akers
(Akers07) - F

Locale: Indiana
Protein shake on 09/29/2013 09:48:19 MDT Print View

I make a breakfast shake with 16oz of water or so. 2 packets of carnation instant breakfast, one scoop of protein powder of choice, and 1/2 the amount(for 16oz of water)of nido powdered whole milk. Pretty filling. I don't always have a huge appetite right after waking up and usually eat breakfast a mile or 2 in the day. This shake is a good way to get something in quick while breaking camp.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Protein shake on 09/29/2013 15:46:43 MDT Print View

"I make a breakfast shake with 16oz of water or so. 2 packets of carnation instant breakfast, one scoop of protein powder of choice, and 1/2 the amount(for 16oz of water)of nido powdered whole milk."

Nice one, Colton.

terry tiedeman
(Terry62) - F
smoothie on 11/06/2013 20:45:26 MST Print View

My buddy makes extra thick smoothies at home and dehydrates in the fruit roll up tray on the dehydrator. They re-hydrate almost instantly and taste good. Super easy unless you are preparing for a through hike. Probably too much trouble then. I use chia seeds with organic freeze dried fruit powders soaked in my water bottle. Not really a smoothie but still good. I also use the vega powders because they are so finely ground they are super smooth and go down easy when mixed with water.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Backpacking Smoothie Recipes, anyone? on 11/06/2013 21:00:39 MST Print View

"The problem is that the f.d. berry powder does not seem to want to mix well with the milk base. Do I need something to act as an emulsifier?"

Try mixing just a tiny bit of your milk base with the f.d. powder and stirring into a paste. Then add the rest of your milk base and stir/shake until you have your smoothie. It's often easier to mix powders into a thicker base first instead of trying to mix it in all the liquid at once.