UL Trail Notebook
Display Avatars Sort By:
Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
UL Trail Notebook on 09/05/2013 13:49:43 MDT Print View

I like to carry a small notebook to jot down reminders, directions, and thoughts while I hike and backpack. I was carrying a Rite in the Rain notebook for a while, but I didn't actually have a problem keeping it in a plastic bag with other stuff. I wasn't trying to write a haiku during a thunderstorm. I also ended every trip with tons of spare pages, having only used maybe 20.

The Moleskine Volant Mini is tiny. I don't own a scale, but I doubt it gets much lighter. It fits in my wallet. The pages tear out, and as a bonus, the grey ones match your Palomino Blackwing 602's.

MS

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: UL Trail Notebook on 09/05/2013 13:53:52 MDT Print View

I keep notes on the margins and blank back sides of topo maps. Zero extra weight.

--B.G.--

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: UL Trail Notebook on 09/05/2013 14:06:54 MDT Print View

"I keep notes on the margins and blank back sides of topo maps. Zero extra weight."

Good tip!

That is what I have been doing for a long time. Also, if you make notes on places you stopped or would like to explore, it makes it easy when you come back.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: UL Trail Notebook on 09/05/2013 14:09:08 MDT Print View

Max,

If you are really looking for the lightest option, I already did the research for you :)

JMT Pencil and Paper

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: UL Trail Notebook on 09/05/2013 14:13:20 MDT Print View

Nick, with all of those fancy pencils and onionskin paper, how do you manage to write anything using just your thumbs?

--B.G.--

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: UL Trail Notebook on 09/05/2013 14:20:56 MDT Print View

I don't "text"

:)

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: MYOG UL Trail Notebook on 09/05/2013 14:23:09 MDT Print View

I have sewn a few folded pages together to make notebooks. You can buy Rite in the Rain paper or National Geographic "Adventure Paper" if you want some water resistance.

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
Re: UL Trail Notebook on 09/05/2013 16:49:29 MDT Print View

If you already carry a smart phone or an e-book (such as a kindle), for no extra weight you can get note book apps for them that would eliminate the need to carry separate paper and pencil.

Edited by Surf on 09/05/2013 16:51:31 MDT.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: UL Trail Notebook on 09/05/2013 19:25:17 MDT Print View

for LT i took some thick-ish notebook paper cut it to 4x6 then folded it half and put a staple in the middle. .4oz plus whatever my little pen weighs. was simple enough to keep a journal and notes.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Thoughts on 09/05/2013 21:00:46 MDT Print View

Steven, call me a classicist, but there's just something about paper that will always trump a phone.

Also, most definitely there are lighter options, but if you guys are like me, a lightweight object in any segment of your life brings a sense of childlike wonder and joy that only shopping addicts truly understand. This little guy's in my pocket right now.

@Nick, consider the last sentence of my OP a tribute to your timeless and priceless review, my personal favorite on BPL.

Edited by mdilthey on 09/05/2013 21:01:46 MDT.