What food (or drink) do you often wish you had carried more of?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
What food (or drink) do you often wish you had carried more of? on 09/04/2013 20:49:04 MDT Print View

After a recent pack trip, I swore I'd carry more coffee next time. Well next time came (and went), and I carried more coffee, and I wish I'd carried even more. It seems I can't carry enough of it to keep me and my companions happy.

(On the other hand, I seem to carry too much jerky. Blech, already.)

What food or drink do you often wish you'd carried more of?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: What food (or drink) do you often wish you had carried more of? on 09/04/2013 21:07:08 MDT Print View

I wish there were more water sources in the desert so I could carry less of it :)

I bring coffee, but always have enough.

That's it. I mostly drink water. If Kool-Aid would bring back the Kool-Aid with cyclamates, I would bring that.

And whatever happened to the Wilson meat bars and the bacon bars? Those were great.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: What food (or drink) do you often wish you had carried more of? on 09/04/2013 23:08:30 MDT Print View

Nick, I have a bacon bar here in my kitchen. It has to be at least thirty years old.

--B.G.--

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: What food (or drink) do you often wish you had carried more of? on 09/05/2013 00:14:19 MDT Print View

Bob,

I wonder if it is still edible? They used to last a long time. Maybe it ages well like good wine :!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Re: What food (or drink) do you often wish you had carried more of? on 09/05/2013 00:37:04 MDT Print View

Nick, from what I can tell, the foil and plastic wrapper is still intact.

I figure that I will leave it sitting around for another few decades until the next big one hits. Once California breaks into several pieces and stores are hard to find, I may not care how old the bacon bar is.

--B.G.--

Steve Meier
(smeier) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Gatorade and better trail mix on 09/05/2013 09:19:10 MDT Print View

I get tired of just water so I always wish I had brought more Gatorade powder to help me drink more. I also tire of GORP quickly and wish I had brought a store-bought spicy mix of some kind. But I never tire of GU Chomps (every flavor is great) or chocolate bars of any kind.

J J
(jraiderguy) - M

Locale: Puget Sound
Nuun Cola on 09/05/2013 12:01:38 MDT Print View

Surprisingly, the Nuun Cola are pretty tasty. I'm not even big on cola at home, but I get tired of gatorade or lemonade. If only Nuun wasn't so expensive.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Bread on 09/05/2013 12:06:25 MDT Print View

I always finish the bread I bring along and wish I had a little more.
With olive oil, with Salame, with cheese, Nutella......

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Re: What food (or drink) do you often wish you had carried more of? on 09/05/2013 13:52:44 MDT Print View

On the week-long trips, I used to always wish I had brought more variety. On our recent trip to the Sierras, I brought a wide selection of stuff, so that I never got too bored with eating the same thing day after day.

Some of my recent faves included freeze-dried yogurt drops (baby food section of grocery -- not calorie-dense, but super light, and they tasted great); Justin's nut butter squeeze packs; bacon jerky (I thought about dipping in chocolate, but was worried about melting issues); and Cheetos.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Re: Bread on 09/05/2013 18:04:47 MDT Print View

> I always finish the bread I bring along

Now that you mention it...yes. One reason bread is worthy of extras: it also serves as a pot scrubber. Sopping out the cook pot with bread saves a lot of water for rinsing.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Savoury on 09/05/2013 18:15:18 MDT Print View

For me its always cheese, cured meats, salted nuts and crackers and of course bread :-)

Derek M.
(dmusashe) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Instant tea mix on 09/08/2013 01:09:21 MDT Print View

This stuff:
Tea mix

It gives you a phenomenal amount of flavor for just 2 grams of mix in each packet. Each packet is actually strong enough for 1 liter even though that is technically half strength per the instructions. Since it's so light, I guess I'll just keep bringing more until I get sick of it!

Edited by dmusashe on 09/08/2013 01:11:01 MDT.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

tea on 09/09/2013 13:41:03 MDT Print View

Ooo, thanks for the peach tea tip. Must find and try.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: What food (or drink) do you often wish you had carried more of? on 09/09/2013 14:05:35 MDT Print View

Now that I've tried it (thanks Lee Oz!), Drambuie.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker)

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: What food (or drink) do you often wish you had carried more of? on 09/09/2013 14:11:55 MDT Print View

On every trip there is something that I wish I carried more of. On the next trip I bring more of it and barely touch it.

I always end up with a bunch of cooked food and no no-cook food at the end of a trip, kinda sucks having to stop and cook lunch on your last day when you are rushed.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net
Usually crave salt on 09/09/2013 14:12:47 MDT Print View

So . . . something salty.

Richard Cullip
(RichardCullip) - M

Locale: San Diego County
Re: Usually crave salt on 09/09/2013 16:46:55 MDT Print View

Fritos!

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: What food (or drink) do you often wish you had carried more of? on 09/09/2013 19:33:16 MDT Print View

I cannot believe that nobody here drinks all the whiskey and/or beer and wishes they had more.

At least Doug mentioned alcohol.

Cheers to you Mr. Ide.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: What food (or drink) do you often wish you had carried more of? on 09/09/2013 19:56:26 MDT Print View

"At least Doug mentioned alcohol."

Doug is a shameless, unrepentant sinner, doomed to spend eternity where the only thing he'll be wishing for is that cold one that's always just out of reach.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: What food (or drink) do you often wish you had carried more of? on 09/09/2013 19:59:58 MDT Print View

"Doug is a shameless, unrepentant sinner,"

You're right about that...

"doomed to spend eternity where the only thing he'll be wishing for is that cold one that's always just out of reach."

I'm already there, only I'm wishing for the warm one that's always just out of reach ... but I'll get her yet.....