Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Group Cooking

Display Avatars Sort By:
Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Ultralight Group Cooking on 09/04/2013 13:16:33 MDT Print View

I'm with Dena.

Well, I mean "I agree with Dena" on this one. :) I was expecting something excellent, like Ryan Jordan's article on the fry-bake pans and group cooking.

Having just come back from 49 meals on trail with 12 persons and two Fire Maple 117t's, I am always interested in more hot, smart ideas about group cooking that results in great food without too much weight penalty.

BTW, anyone want to estimate what a pint of olive oil weighs? Ahhhh, it was so good, though!

robert van putten
(Bawana) - F

Locale: Planet Bob
49 for 12? on 09/04/2013 13:49:23 MDT Print View

49 meals for 12 people -
That's four meals per person with one leftover.

So who got the extra meal? :)

I'm impressed though, cooking for six people over each stove. I'd be interested in the size of pot you used over those stoves, and how much fuel was used.

It probably doesn't get much lighter than that.
I've used a Trangia 25 for five people.

I'll cook up a mess of grub for three in the big pot and they get to share it out in bowls, and cook for my wife and I in the small pot and we'll eat right out of that together.
The only other way I see managing would be a gallon sized pot and a hot white gas stove.

Karl Kerschner
(Distelfink) - MLife
prototype Critter CR-1 Stand over alcohol stove on 09/04/2013 14:27:55 MDT Print View

Q&A as requested by the author of the article "Ultralight Group Cooking" ;-)

1.Does this idea have merit?

Yes, if your alcohol stove requires a stand.

Its greatest value might be as pot support over the new coals of a small, hot, cooking wood fire.

Another potential use is as an aid to bake scones.

2.Are there better solutions?

Hardware cloth is one competitive alternative. It is less expensive, immediately and widely available, easier to make, and competitive in all other aspects; but it is not as elegant.

3.What do you use?
Brasslite alcohol stoves. They have a built-in ss pot stand.
The brass stoves are heavier than cat stoves but the stand is built-in, brass is an efficient conductor of heat, and its simmer ring allows you to better cook certain foods and save fuel in the right conditions.
Turbo I-D for solo.
Turbo II-D for two.
Turbo II-D with attached stand for wider pots for two people, or as "training wheels" when the other person is new to cooking on the trail. Used occasionally.

In the interest of full disclosure I do not own an interest in nor am in any way affiliated with Brasslite.com; I am only a fan.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
review on 09/04/2013 16:10:49 MDT Print View

was there an actual real tested review with real world usage somewhere?

;)

Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
Re: review on 09/04/2013 20:46:23 MDT Print View

That would be useful. I can see some merit in this stove in the right niche. Shame the article is like an advertisement. I agree its a bit below standard. Weird.

All can be amended with some nice independent reviews though...maybe send it out to a couple of people!

:-)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
BPL Standards on 09/04/2013 21:18:20 MDT Print View

Thinking about submitting. There are suppose to be standards See here.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/authors.html

But being BPL there is a catch 22 when it comes to finances.

6. AUTHOR is paid upon article publication.

yet further down the page.

Backpacking Light doesn't normally offer financial compensation for contributors,

but we do offer complimentary memberships to all contributors, as well as complimentary Lifetime Memberships to regular contributors.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: review on 09/04/2013 21:23:07 MDT Print View

Okay, after careful consideration, I figured it out.

When ther article was being uploaded, the SSL Certificate warning popped up, which accidentally erased the 2nd half of the article. Sounds plausible to me.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Train wreck on 09/04/2013 21:24:36 MDT Print View

But the copyright is expired also. Look at the bottom of the page.

Shambles.

Next week looks lame too. Grayson Highlands again, yet another New Balance review.

Edited by kthompson on 09/04/2013 21:29:24 MDT.

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Re: Train wreck on 09/04/2013 21:33:55 MDT Print View

Where is the editorial calendar, Ken? I found an old thread that mentioned it, but the URL went to a page that hadn't been updated in years.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: BPL Standards on 09/04/2013 22:05:30 MDT Print View

No editorial calendar since Addie left. But the weekly newsletter gives next weeks titles

Edited by kthompson on 09/04/2013 22:06:10 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Train wreck on 09/04/2013 23:00:53 MDT Print View

"But the copyright is expired also. Look at the bottom of the page."

I tell them about that over and over, but they ignore me.

--B.G.--

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: BPL Standards on 09/04/2013 23:07:52 MDT Print View

The neglect is a real shame Bob. Found something else that is behind being updated

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ULAZ.html

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Re: BPL Standards on 09/05/2013 07:22:54 MDT Print View

Thank you, Ken. I had the newsletter turned off.

Tony Ronco
(tr-browsing) - MLife
Article or Ad? on 09/06/2013 10:06:02 MDT Print View

+1 on that this "article" is pure ad ...

Article Title Could have been more transparent on its intent -
From the title, I was hoping that the article would have a market review, or comparisons with alternatives to group cooking with alcohol stove such as an Esbit titanium folding stove without its tray (ala Lite Trail ... in which the Cricket stand is very similar to), the TD Caldera, the now no longer available MBD group stove, the Trangia 28 stand, or the other many various stands that are available as DIY projects, or available commercially by cottage craftsmen, (etc).

(by the way, I've been in group cooking situations using alcohol stoves that have, one time or another, utilized the first four alternatives listed above and they all worked fine ... the Caldera seemed to boil water faster utilizing a MSR 2 L pot ... but that's a subjective, not a measured, observation ... hmm, good basis for an article ;-)

Philosophy ? -
RJ in his editorial note says "I'm not impressed with most DIY solutions - arranging rocks, stabbing tent stakes into the ground ..." From my perspective, this doesn't seems to be in alignment with the philosophy approach expressed in his video series “The SUL Wanderer” ... (specifically where RJ fore goes a BushBuddy by arranging rocks into a small fire ring) or in his "SUL Mindset" series, that it emphasized less vs lighter mindset (and that had the rather provocative sub-title, containing: "One important goal of SUL is to take less stuff, not buy new stuff. If you have to buy new stuff, then I think that regardless of your pack weight, consider that you may have transcended away from the ultralight philosophy and into ultralight hypocrisy")
Opps! wait a minute I just realized this is a UL article not a SUL article: my bad (*smile*)

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Re: Ultralight Group Cooking on 09/06/2013 10:21:55 MDT Print View

As with any folding stove, the weakest point is the hinge. This one LOOKS like a rivet of some kind. Is it field-replaceable? If not, why not?

The folding titanium Esbit tablet stove that BPL offered many years ago had this same problem. folks took to drilling out the rivet and replacing it with a bolt and nut.

I didn't see this as a commercial. Full disclosure was given early on that this had been a Kickstarter project that did not get funded and that the design was being presented for those who might wish to make their own, or something similar.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Ultralight Group Cooking on 09/06/2013 12:01:30 MDT Print View

"Full disclosure was given early on that this had been a Kickstarter project that did not get funded and that the design was being presented for those who might wish to make their own, or something similar."

Actually, this is incorrect. The abstract says nothing about Kickstarter or anything.

--B.G.--

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Ultralight Group Cooking on 09/06/2013 13:21:52 MDT Print View

Bob -

Forget the abstract; read the article, especially the Editor's Note that leads off the article. Here is the second paragraph of same:

"Editor's Note
........1st paragraph deliberately deleted......

Peter attempted to get this project funded on Kickstarter, but it didn't go. That doesn't mean the design doesn't have value, so we're publishing the design idea and prototype description here for the benefit of the BPL community. - RJ"

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Ultralight Group Cooking on 09/06/2013 13:36:40 MDT Print View

Mr. Bankhead, I'm sorry that you do not understand.

One cannot read the article without purchasing it. One would expect to read the abstract and determine whether it was worthy of purchase. In this case, the abstract doesn't do much that is accurate.

--B.G.--

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Ultralight Group Cooking on 09/06/2013 14:13:41 MDT Print View

I was not aware that one could purchase individual articles. That doesn't sound very cost effective to me.

I does sounds like an excellent reason to purchase a BPL membership so such maneuvers are unnecessary as all articles, reviews, and other site content is thereby always available.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Ultralight Group Cooking on 09/06/2013 14:29:13 MDT Print View

"I was not aware that one could purchase individual articles. That doesn't sound very cost effective to me.

I does sounds like an excellent reason to purchase a BPL membership so such maneuvers are unnecessary as all articles, reviews, and other site content is thereby always available."

Mister Bankhead, if you choose to pour your own money down a rathole, then that is your decision. I've held a paid membership before, and I can see the general trend (downward).

--B.G.--