Forum Index » Chaff » Lion

Display Avatars Sort By:
Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Lion on 09/03/2013 12:16:43 MDT Print View

Last night, coming back from backpacking I was driving up our driveway. About 100 yards up and there was a large mountain lion right in front of me , now running on the road. I sped up ( not going to run it over..) and followed closely behind for almost 100 yards before it jumped to the side in the meadow np below the cabin. I had my headlights right on it the whole time.
I have seen a few in the last 10 years and this was the largest. The tail was probably 4 feet long and a diameter of 4 inches ( hair and all). Very exciting.
Now, less jogging down the road for my daughter.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Lion on 09/03/2013 12:37:44 MDT Print View

That's very cool! And a bit, ummmmmmm, scary? Too bad you didn't get a pic, but I'd certainly be a bit anxious running near the house now!

Really, the EXACT same thing happened to me here! Only it was a squirrel. But a mean looking squirrel! Equally scary in these parts!

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Lion on 09/03/2013 12:39:52 MDT Print View

Katharina,

Where do you live?

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Re: Lion on 09/03/2013 12:40:37 MDT Print View

Doug,

That's very cool! And a bit, ummmmmmm, scary? Too bad you didn't get a pic, but I'd certainly be a bit anxious running near the house now!

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Too fast on 09/03/2013 12:46:40 MDT Print View

Everything happened too fast to even think about taking out my camera. It was dark, so I had to be close with headlights on. The lion was running fast and I would have lost it the moment I did anything g other than keep driving. A video would have been even better....I could see it's whithers as it ran up the steep hill. Big paws. I did not get a good look of the head.

I live north of the town of Davenport, California. Off a road called Swanton rd. There have been many, many sightings around here in the last few years. I just found out that my neighbor saw the same cat night before last less than half a mile from where I saw it.

That squirrel Doug,must have been something else!!

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Not scary on 09/03/2013 12:47:58 MDT Print View

Seeing it was not scary at all, just exciting.
Jogging along a steep road with steep sides, all alone, that is going to be a little unnerving.

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Lion on 09/03/2013 13:53:55 MDT Print View

I was hoping for a post on batteries.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Lion on 09/03/2013 14:28:23 MDT Print View

>I was hoping for a post on batteries.

Heh. Its funny because I'm a nerd.

Cool, Kat. I'd love to see a lion (from a safe distance, of course.) Be careful!

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Lion on 09/03/2013 17:27:43 MDT Print View

Last Friday, another neighbor had probably the same mountain lion go up their deck and grab their small dog by the head. They saw it from the sliding door and yelled and the cat dropped the dog, leaving it pretty badly hurt. I just heard about this a couple of hours ago.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: Re: Lion on 09/03/2013 19:07:19 MDT Print View

Regarding the OP, that sounds exciting and unsettling since it was near your house. Hope your neighbor's dog is ok.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lion on 09/03/2013 21:43:15 MDT Print View

Crikes!

After we finished our AK trip, my wife traveled for another couple of weeks without me and went to AZ, UT, and some other places. She couch surfed with this sort of hippy guy in UT who had a crap load of land, lived in a strawbale type house and had a Yurt about a quarter mile away.

She was staying in the Yurt. Anyways, late at night walking back to the Yurt from his house, now fairly close to the Yurt she could see/sense/hear something moving some 15 feet or so away. Being the adventuress and rather fearless Lass she is, she went into the Yurt, got a flash light and went back out to investigate.

Not far from where she originally seen something, shining the flash light she first saw eyeshine a few feet or so up, and then noticed the ears, and started to realize it was a mountain lion staring back at her, but continuing to shine her light, further down she sees a mini version of the first one, "oh crap, a mother mountain lion and her cub" So she slowly walked backwards back to the Yurt. Part of me wishes i had been there, and another part of me is glad i wasn't...