1oz 40lumen headlamp
Display Avatars Sort By:
christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Locale: hamsterfish
1oz 40lumen headlamp on 09/03/2013 03:50:47 MDT Print View

http://www.amazon.com/Bright-Medic-FireFly-Ultralight-Headlamp/dp/B00C2CGUWG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Anyone have one of these? I'm pretty impressed by the specs. Just ordered one. Hopefully the quality is good.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
the same? on 09/03/2013 04:07:17 MDT Print View

looks exactly the same ... hmmmm

http://dx.com/p/sunree-mini-cree-ml-e-n2-24lm-5-mode-white-red-headlamp-white-grey-2-x-cr2032-226408

Jesse Anderson
(jeepin05) - F

Locale: Land of Enchantment
Re: the same? on 09/03/2013 05:31:15 MDT Print View

There appear to be a couple of differences between the one posted by the OP and the one from DX. First off the one on DX is only 24 lumen compared to the 40 of the original. second and most important, I think, is that battery life on the DX model is horrendous at three hours while the OP model is supposed to last 36 hours on its high setting. So while they sure look alike, spec wise they've got almost nothing in common.

And E
(LunchANDYnner)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
36 hrs on high? on 09/03/2013 08:02:16 MDT Print View

It'll be great to see a quick review of it showing light spread pattern, distance, etc if you get the chance!

*** EDIT***
Never mind! Just read it again in the product description. It does say 36hrs on high! Might have to get me one.

Edited by LunchANDYnner on 09/03/2013 08:49:25 MDT.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Re: Re: the same? on 09/03/2013 10:53:01 MDT Print View

There appear to be a couple of differences between the one posted by the OP and the one from DX. First off the one on DX is only 24 lumen compared to the 40 of the original. second and most important, I think, is that battery life on the DX model is horrendous at three hours while the OP model is supposed to last 36 hours on its high setting. So while they sure look alike, spec wise they've got almost nothing in common.

can you even get 36 hours at 40 lumens on 2 CR batteries ... that would be quite a feat ....

heres the chart for the petzl elite ... which runs off the same batteries ... now the OPs posted light might be somewhat more powerful, but somehow i doubt that you can have 40lm for 36 hours constantly ... its likely an initial max then it degrades

until one has the light in hand, i wouldnt trust ANY specs by anything not made by a highly reputable manufacturer ... and even not then

if you noticed most of the lights sold by "bright medic" look just like the ones on deal extreme, not their own unique designs ... hmmmmm

;)

Edited by bearbreeder on 09/03/2013 10:56:16 MDT.

Jesse Anderson
(jeepin05) - F

Locale: Land of Enchantment
Re: Re: Re: the same? on 09/03/2013 15:22:54 MDT Print View

"if you noticed most of the lights sold by "bright medic" look just like the ones on deal extreme, not their own unique designs ... hmmmmm"

Eric, I agree the two look suspiciously similar to one another. And I also was dubious of the battery life claim. 36 hours at 40 lumens on watch batteries seems pretty doubtful. I was simply pointing out that a majority of the specs from one to the other were different, so while they may look the same, the internals may be quite different. Without having them both side by side it's hard to say which set of Chinese-originated specs are correct.

Stephen Parks
(sdparks) - M

Locale: Southwest
Claims on 09/03/2013 16:46:17 MDT Print View

40 lumens for 36 hours is not claimed. The claims are "up to 40 lumens" and "over 36 hrs burn time on high". That could mean that you get "up to" 40 lumens for just the very first instant when turned on, and then that the light will put out some non-zero amount of illumination when the light is set to high. So at 35 hours you could have 1 lumen and the claims would still be met. Hopefully it isn't as bad as that of course.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: the same? on 09/03/2013 17:33:43 MDT Print View

"can you even get 36 hours at 40 lumens on 2 CR batteries ... that would be quite a feat ...."

Princeton Tec VIZZ: 165 lumen LED, regulated circuitry, 110 hours on medium beam, 90 m throw, 3 X AAA alkaline or lithium, 92 g. I'm in the process of field testing it, but so far, so good. The regulated circuitry should ensure pretty much a constant beam until the battery is tapped out. We'll see, but Princeton Tec has a pretty solid reputation, and I've been using their lights for years with very satisfactory results. So, a qualified yes to the question above.

http://www.princetontec.com/vizz

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: Re: Re: the same? on 09/03/2013 17:41:55 MDT Print View

The lamp in the OP uses CR 2032's, not 3xAAA's. So not really apples to apples there.

Ryan

Eng-Shien Wu
(engshien) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Lies, Damn Lies, and Headlamp Statistics on 09/04/2013 10:31:06 MDT Print View

Likely Sunree is the OEM of the BrightMedic FireFly headlamp:

http://www.sunree.cc/english/products_view.asp?id=571

Note that they list 21 lumens at high and 30 hours of run time. What this might mean:

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/headlamp.html

It is possible that BrightMedic spec'ed a better CREE LED for their headlamp and some other tweaks. BrightMedic FireFly has 4 modes (red, high white, low white, flash white) while the Sunree appears to have 5 modes (high white, low white, flash white, red, flash red). It is also possible that it is really the same headlamp and that BrightMedic is.. uhmm.. exaggerating the specs. It would be nice if someone got both and compared them.

BTW, the wholesale price for the Sunree headlamp on Alibaba is US $ 3.17 - 3.96 each.. minimum lot 2000. Buy in bulk.. give them out to friends. :-)

Edited by engshien on 09/04/2013 10:41:30 MDT.

Zorg Zumo
(BurnNotice) - F
Re: Claims on 09/04/2013 12:41:11 MDT Print View

I think your interpretation is spot on. A common Chinese misdirection is to list a very optimistic light output (how did they measure this anyway?) and then follow that with a misleading run-time. Not sure if it is because of a language problem or calculated misdirection knowing that the non-technical will fall for impossible specs at a low price.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: 1oz 40lumen headlamp on 09/04/2013 13:20:21 MDT Print View

I like the design-- like a Petzl Zipka.

But.... no way are you going to get 40 lumens for 36 hours out of two CR2032 batteries. It's just a suspension of the laws of physics.

Cheap headlamps eat batteries, have no water resistance, and things like switches and headbands crap out on you the third day out. Save yourself the grief and spend your money on a good quality headlamp and don't be afraid of a few ounces in that department. IMHO, lighting is a critical item in a gear list and a life may depend on it working well when needed, let alone the frustration and wasted dollars.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the same? on 09/04/2013 17:10:36 MDT Print View

"The lamp in the OP uses CR 2032's, not 3xAAA's. So not really apples to apples there"

True enough. Sloppy post on my part.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the same? on 09/04/2013 20:54:24 MDT Print View

No biggie Tom. The specs on that VIZZ look good regardless.

Ryan

christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Locale: hamsterfish
1oz 40lumen headlamp on 09/05/2013 23:36:21 MDT Print View

Got my headlamp today.
Pros:
-Super light, comfortable, head tilts up down as needed like a normal headlamp.
-Has a little clip for to mount to your hats visor. Awesome.
-Batteries super easy to replace.
-ipx6. Looks well made. I'd trust it in rain.
-Have to hold button down for a few secs before it turns on, and it starts in red light mode. Nice to save batteries from accidental turn ons.
-Bright. 40 lumens seems accurate. It's perhaps 20% brighter than my black diamond storm when only using the 2 side LEDs. (Not the spot light)

Cons:
-Not consistently bright. Starts off bright, then seems to lose perhaps 30% of its brightness after an hour. Bummer.
-After 4 hours it was perhaps 50% brightness.
-After 11 hours it was at around 25% brightness. Usable...but not ideal at all.

The 30 hour battery claim may be possible.... But toward the last 15 hours it would not be worth using.

Sorry for my non scientific numbers...but I hope this helps.
I'm still debating if its worth bringing. The batteries are so light that I could bring maybe 3 extra sets for the weight of a single AA.