Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Merino Wool L/S Zip
Display Avatars Sort By:
kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
Wild, Wooly Bedouins and Tuaregs on 06/14/2007 12:09:04 MDT Print View

Actually, both being trading peoples, they have had ready access to Egyptian cotton for centuries. They actually do prefer cotton underwear---it's less chafing and more absorbent :-)>

Alycia, Icebreaker merino wool wear is first rate, to be sure. A lot of the Icebreaker line doesn't seem to make it to the U.S., alas :-(

Brian Strong
(bmstrong) - F
No Zipper but... on 06/14/2007 12:30:34 MDT Print View

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?Emissary-Hoody

Might replace the discontinued Smartwool hoody?

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
Arcteryx Hoody on 06/14/2007 12:35:36 MDT Print View

Maybe if you hacked a zipper for it.

Nope, on second thought, it's way too heavy (about 23 oz.) to replace the niche the Shadow Hoody (10.5 oz.) held. Very different weights of wool used and the Arcteryx looks more like a fashion statement.

And that was what arcteryx was after----from their site...
"A casually styled hoody that is perfect for cool days in any mountain village. Made with fine Mountain Merino Ponte Wool, this hoody features a kangaroo pocket with a hidden stash pocket. Both the men's and woman's versions have our Scuba Hood, with the Ladies receiving an exaggerated cross-neck and more sculpted figure."

Edited by kdesign on 06/14/2007 15:00:10 MDT.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Merino Wool L/S Zip on 06/14/2007 12:47:14 MDT Print View

Arc'Teryx makes some top-notch performance gear, but they also have a fashion line. Anything of their products that carries the Emissary name are aimed more at people on the street than people on summiting mountains.

Eric Noble
(ericnoble) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Arcteryx Hoody on 06/14/2007 13:15:23 MDT Print View

Close and yet so far…

I hope something comes along. My Shadow Hoody won't last forever. And don't forget the thumb hole cuffs. I love those! Despite giving it a 4 in my review, the Shadow is just about perfect as a base layer. If they offered a lighter weight version and a heavier weight one, that would be ideal. I'm even willing to remove any bizarre nods to fashion (stripes) they might add.