New M10 sizing/length question
Display Avatars Sort By:
J C
(Joomy) - M
New M10 sizing/length question on 09/01/2013 18:23:26 MDT Print View

Just wondering if anyone has the new season M10 jacket and can comment on the sizing, specifically the length. I asked a Pata rep and the numbers she gave me imply that the M10 is a full 5-6 inches shorter in the front than the Torrentshell, which in my mind is not a long jacket to start with. 5-6 inches shorter at the front would be absurdly short on me, and size L jackets (particularly hard shells) normally fit me fine length-wise. Can anyone comment?

Edited by Joomy on 09/01/2013 18:26:07 MDT.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
M 10 sizing on 09/01/2013 19:57:07 MDT Print View

Saw a post from one Euro packer wondering if, judging from our rain jackets, we were crotchless.

When the price comes down at discount, will try one on before ordering. And will also take one into a rest room and check out the DWR at the faucet. A little extra caution at the outset saves a lot of grief and annoyance later on. Will bring a small hang scale also. Caveat Emptor.

If the M10 doesn't shape up, there may be some lighter and better eVent tops in the pipeline coming available later on. So long as we allow ourselves to impulse buy these products, we are going to be forever subjected to rubbish.

J C
(Joomy) - M
Re: M 10 sizing on 09/01/2013 23:25:05 MDT Print View

Points taken, Samuel, but I'm 95% confident that the M10 is a very good jacket. After all both Ryan Jordan and Colin Haley say so! Just concerned about the length, and since they will never bring it to Australia I won't ever be able to try one before I buy it.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: Tokyo, Japan
Re: Re: M 10 sizing on 09/01/2013 23:51:04 MDT Print View

Did you see the OGL review pics?

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hardshell-Jacket-Reviews/Patagonia-M10

J C
(Joomy) - M
Re: Re: Re: M 10 sizing on 09/02/2013 08:36:24 MDT Print View

Hi Rick,

I did, but it's hard to tell anything since I don't know how big Max Neale is.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: M 10 sizing on 09/02/2013 20:19:33 MDT Print View

Jeremy, how long do you expect the jacket to be? For me, less than ~27" in the back is short, 28.5" average and greater than 30" long.

For example, both my new OR Helium II and Axiom in size XL measure ~74cm on the back from base of hood to bottom hem. I'm ~187cm tall with ~55cm torso. Both cover about half my butt so I would call that a good length for a rain jacket.

If let me know expected measurements in the size you want, I could make the 3km "hike" over to the Patagonia store sometime this week and report back.

J C
(Joomy) - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: M 10 sizing on 09/03/2013 05:49:11 MDT Print View

Hi Rick,

That's an extremely friendly offer! But I certainly wouldn't want you to go out of your way...

My concern isn't so much the back length as the front length. I think it has a roughly 29in back length but it seems to have a fairly radical drop tail so the front seems very short, 24.25 inches according to Patagonia's email, which seems very short for a shell.

If you did go to the Pata shop the most useful comparison would probably be the front and back length difference between the Torrentshell and the M10 (assuming they have it in stock) in size L since I can try the Torrentshell on in a local shop. Again, I wouldn't want you to give up your time but if you happened to find yourself there that would be awesome.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Re: M 10 sizing on 09/03/2013 07:02:19 MDT Print View

I tried the M10 on last March after the debut and have seen the jacket hanging on display many times since and am certain the drop between front and back does not exceed 2".

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Re: Re: M 10 sizing check on 09/04/2013 01:21:35 MDT Print View

Jeremy,

I went to the Patagonia store today and checked the new Fall M10 size L and XL in purple. The L's back measured from the bottom of the hood is ~74cm and was ~3cm longer than the front. The XL measured 77cm down the back.

The fit is NOT SLIM. In fact, it is quite billowy. I have a 125cm chest/ 98cm waist and usually wear a Patagonia XL in regular fit and sometimes XXL in slim, but this XL M10 swallowed me. The L fit was much better on me.

J C
(Joomy) - M
Re: Re: Re: M 10 sizing check on 09/05/2013 01:25:55 MDT Print View

Hey Rick,

Thanks for the info! Actually Patagonia just got back to me and the discrepancy between the Torrentshell and the M10 was because, to quote: "the measurement for the front length is taken from the neck seam for the M10 and from the top of the neck at the hood opening for the Torrentshell"

Seems pretty dumb to give me measurements taken from totally different points on the jackets but there you go. Anyway from what they say and you reported it seems the Torrenshell and M10 are almost exactly the same length and cut, despite the M10 being called a "slim fit". Thanks for your help. Let me know if I can return the favour ever. Want to know the measurements on some One Planet jackets? =D

Edited by Joomy on 09/05/2013 01:27:44 MDT.