Forum Index » GEAR » a good fastpack?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: Adventure Vest on 09/03/2013 19:52:37 MDT Print View

For me to make my perfect fastpack that I would want, I would have to.

Find a way to lengthen my old Salomon adventure racing pack (Raid Race 200) and strip the side bottles off my Salomon and put it on my Raid.

I am tempted, but my Raid has been through hell.

Edited by awsorensen on 09/03/2013 19:53:39 MDT.

ROBERT TANGEN
(RobertM2S) - M

Locale: Lake Tahoe
I was thinking of injured Aaron on 09/03/2013 19:52:57 MDT Print View

The following photo of the adventure shows it coming many inches short of the hips. http://www.ultimatedirection.com/images/Product/medium/599_4_.jpg\
Aaron said his injuries don't permit putting all of the weight on his shoulders. Also, his area of interest is the JMT, so he would be doing more hiking than running. Therefore, maybe the Arc Slim would spare his shoulders?

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: I was thinking of injured Aaron on 09/03/2013 21:23:53 MDT Print View

Sounds good but it's a 2100 ci pack.

If it were 1500-1800 then it would meet my first 3 as it has a slip for a pad to make it a semi-ridged pack.
It's even a little better than that as it has the outer ridged arc.

2100 ci isn't all that big though.

A pack designed as a fastpack would be much better for weekend fastpack trips and fill the bill a little better.
A perfect fastpack would not be a JMT pack.
1 or 2 nights and being light enough to do some good flat jogging and easy downhill running.

i may be a crappy slow ultra runner that has gone over 100 miles many many times, but my passion is heading up in the mountains and pushing 50+ miles on some amazing trails over a weekend.

Edited by awsorensen on 09/03/2013 21:24:52 MDT.

Michael Schwartz
(greenwalk) - MLife

Locale: PA & Ireland
a good fastpack on 09/04/2013 16:18:13 MDT Print View

I've never considered an adventure race type of pack/vest, but after reading this thread I checked out the Ultimate Direction PB Adventure Vest. Looks like a well-designed pack with a good features set. Would love to hear from anyone who has used it.

Danton Rice
(drice) - M

Locale: Bozeman
a good fastpack - PB Adventure Vest on 09/05/2013 12:26:43 MDT Print View

Michael,
I'm looking at the PB Adventure Vest too and saw this review today while researching:
http://trailandultrarunning.com/review-ultimate-directions-peter-bakwin-adventure-vest/

They seemed to like it a lot for trail running (assuming you can get it to fit since it only comes in two sizes). The site also offers a number of reviews on other similar running packs if you are interested.

Patrick Matte
(JPMatte)

Locale: N. Georgia
PB vest on 09/05/2013 13:49:16 MDT Print View

Size options: xs-xl and volume. I'm working hard to fit a winter ,albeit,south eastern winter kit in in mine.

Michael Schwartz
(greenwalk) - MLife

Locale: PA & Ireland
a good fastpack? on 09/15/2013 16:37:51 MDT Print View

@ Dan. Thanks for the useful link. I will need to try one on to see if it fits. Cheers, Mike