Canister Stove Hazard?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Tested, five stoves on 08/31/2013 17:04:04 MDT Print View

Hi Duane

Your tests are very interesting. I have to confess that such an obvious test had not occurred to me!

I note you allowed the stove to simmer one minute in each case - very good.

Not stated however was the speed of recovery. OK, invert canister, get mini-fireball, tip back upright. How long to recovery back to normal burn in each case? I suspect just a few seconds, but actual experimental data would be great.

Cheers

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Tested, five stoves on 08/31/2013 17:40:28 MDT Print View

Duane,
Nice Work!
If BPL ever awards medals, yours will be for "Bravery Under Fire".

I'm happy that your "pizza experience" gave you the confidence to forge ahead with a five stove test. It's very good to know that in most circumstances recovery seems straight forward, and that death is not imminent. The major issue seems to be what might be on the receiving end of the burner head flare.

Thank you.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: Re: Tested, five stoves on 09/01/2013 00:26:20 MDT Print View

I keep a pair of welder's leather gloves around. Long, fireproof, and insulated, they are only about $8 at Harbor Freight. They are great for this kind of work. And also great if you own a wood stove.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: Re: Tested, five stoves on 09/01/2013 10:49:02 MDT Print View

Duane,

I have a new career for you -- parachute test pilot :)

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Tested, five stoves on 09/01/2013 13:05:03 MDT Print View

Thanks Nick, I have your back too! :) I'm single and take some chances now and then.

Recovery time was almost immediate. I'm sure more tests would be nice, I had some concerns over the fuel canister cooling off in-between tests.
Well, after camping last night, off for an overnighter in the Bucks Lake Wilderness, using the Rapidfire instead of my Firefly to cook some spaghetti. Taking along a 8R I just received from Ken to heat the sauce with and for cereal and coffee water in the AM.
The stove that vented thru the SRV on me, was my old embossed Optimus 8, but only after heating up two pots of water to treat for drinking. Normally, it would not have been run that long. The SRV did what it was designed for.
Duane