Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » M50 rain jacket

Display Avatars Sort By:
jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Paramo User here on 08/31/2013 13:30:04 MDT Print View

"As said the weight does not bother me (or others) as its not intended to be carried."

If you wear weight it still has a negative effect - makes your back, legs, feet sore. But 600 g is probably not noticeable.

"I work off grams and Kilos as I am from Ireland, but we do still use pounds/ounces for some things which is a bit weird."

metric is making inroads here very gradually. many drinks are sold by the 1/2 or 1 liter for example. and scientists and engineers use metric pretty much totally, until they get off work.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: Lartnec Nagihcim
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Paramo User here on 08/31/2013 13:42:28 MDT Print View

I really don't think the weight is noticeable as before using Paramo I would of worn a 150g windshirt, a 300g mid layer and then a 300g hard shell if it was raining or if the snow was very wet.

They two major adamant aged to me are the outstanding breathability and not having to stop to remove/add clothing, I would equate the comfort of Paramo to wearing Capilene/r1 and a wind shell.

At work metric is used but then you go for lunch and everyone (scientists included) use imperial :-

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: Lartnec Nagihcim
Chris Townsend Paramo Article on 08/31/2013 13:45:37 MDT Print View

Jerry,

Not sure if you have seen this Paramo article by Chris Townsend, well worth checking out if you have not.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/paramo_clothing.html#.UiJHjsu9KSM

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
Paramo on 08/31/2013 19:54:41 MDT Print View

"Samuel, have you tried a Paramo/Furtech or equivalent type of WPB? I hear they are quite popular in England and Scotland."

No, as I checked into the weights, and they are quite heavy compared to the 8.5 oz XL top that I can hike moderately in all day in the rain without getting wet, from inside or out.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear) - M
Re: Paramo on 08/31/2013 21:05:40 MDT Print View

Samuel, the pump liner i have weighs 8.4 oz. A lot of people bring both a light weight windshirt and dedicated rain gear at the same time anyways.

So it's not really much of a "weight penalty" if i bring the pump liner and my windshirt, and it's a heck of a lot more flexible/adaptable since i could use them separately. That, and it breathes better than any other WPB system out there.

But yeah, a full/non separable Paramo or Furtech jacket is pretty heavy, and doesn't make a lot of sense.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear) - M
Re: Re: Paramo on 08/31/2013 21:31:13 MDT Print View

David Wood was the guy I was referring to earlier (who had experimented with a pump liner in combo with a lightweight windshirt). He is a member here, and replied on Chris Townsend's article.

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
Hyvent from Quest on 09/01/2013 07:01:15 MDT Print View

>> Hyvent is 1.8 oz/yd2, membrane has a special print matrix so it doesn't require lining, but I wonder how well that works

I made a rain anorak with Hyvent from Quest. 4.3oz for a generous men's small. Fabric has a really nice drape. Modified pattern to minimize seams. I didn't line it. In terms of performance, it feels very similar to Marmot's "Membrain Strata" fabric... somewhat breathable, effective against rain. Not as breathable as eVent, imo, closer to GTX.
jacket

Edited by DetroitTigerFan on 09/01/2013 07:02:45 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Hyvent from Quest on 09/01/2013 08:21:10 MDT Print View

nice looking jacket!