Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
FS - A field repair item 99% of us need
Display Avatars Sort By:
brian H
(B14) - M

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns
FS - A field repair item 99% of us need on 08/29/2013 16:29:51 MDT Print View

Today I had a chance meeting with a woman who lives just a few blocks away...whose late husband invented the first modern zipper repair kit [there are many copycats] about 21 years ago.

Most zipper problems r easily solved with a simple replacement of the slider. How many of us have shipped an item back to the mfr, simply due 2 the fact that we have no experience w/ zipper repair? For $10 their "Outdoor Kit" is ideal for our packs, bags, tents etc.

I just thought our community ought to know about it! Their site is Zipper Rescue dot com.

Oh and 2b compliant here...I still have this great Patagucci R.5 pullover for sale:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=78965&skip_to_post=673395#673395

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: FS - A field repair item 99% of us need on 08/29/2013 16:37:19 MDT Print View

Maybe, but...

... before you replace the slider, try squeezing each side a bit. If you "over squeeze" open it up with a small screw driver and try again.

In most cases that's all it takes.

brian H
(B14) - M

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns
yes on 08/30/2013 08:31:51 MDT Print View

True Greg. Yet since most of us do not carry screwdrivers etc in the field, these kits are handy. Espesh since it'll cover garment zippers as well as gear.