Ask an Anarchist
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
slavery on 08/30/2013 09:26:55 MDT Print View

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
Re: Re: Balkans on 08/30/2013 09:28:41 MDT Print View

"I say this with no malice. You can't study politics without studying history. We don't agree and that's fine."

How can you conclude from my comment about the balkan war which is one event, that i have not studied history at all?

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: Balkans on 08/30/2013 09:34:59 MDT Print View

"How can you conclude from my comment about the balkan war which is one event, that i have not studied history at all?"

Not going there. I'm done. Good luck.

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
Balkan war on 08/30/2013 09:35:38 MDT Print View

Given the past history of US imperialism, i would be willing to bet money that the reason the US went to war in the balkans had nothing to do with keeping the peace. I could do research and get back to you.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Hey, I never got an answer on 08/30/2013 09:57:41 MDT Print View

59 minute video of some zealot with crazy ideas? no thanks

I remember "Ruff Times" and other people that predicted doom. There are always doom predictors.

One thing that has gotten progressively worse since WWII is that corporations and super wealthy have gotten more control of the government. For example, corporate tax rate:
corpeff

I think if people woke up, maybe this could be rectified.

If you look at the "Tea Party" politicians, what they vote for is making abortion illegal (which is just political to keep support of their base), repealing Obama Care (get rid of a program that benefits average people), and not removing any of those tax loopholes that benefit corporations and super wealthy.

The "Tea Party" leaders are not going to fix the problem of corporations and super wealthy having undue influence.

Voters that call themselves Tea Party may actually be part of the solution but their organizations have been subverted.

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
tax rate on 08/30/2013 10:21:14 MDT Print View

you can conclude opinions of the video author after you watch it not before, otherwise you would misinformed and judging with no evidence.

The jones plantation
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb8Rj5xkDPk

SO your solution is to steal more money. moral solution, too bad it will not fix the problem which is systemic, the problem is the idea that some people can steal and commit aggression and others cannot. Governments are not immune to the laws of economics, i think people will find that out soon enough as what detroit is curretly experiencing gets worse and spreads across the country. Governments will always need more, their apetite can never be satiated. What happens when the producers have nothing more to give?

There are always doom predictors, but this time they are right. They are not fools in basements.

Edited by isaac.mouser on 08/30/2013 10:46:02 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: WTO on 08/30/2013 11:00:55 MDT Print View

For those o-fen-d-ed by my comments, I have my reasons why I look down on Anarchists. Thing is, I was in my 20's and could have been a prime person to engage in the WTO riots. But then, smashing and looting corporate stores just has never rung as right to me.

The WTO left a pretty sour taste in me. So has my experience with every so-called anarchist I have met (and I have met quite a few). They were not into the lifestyle for warm fuzzies and to have a better life. Every single one of them was into it to get something for nothing - and to not have to hold a real job - and to be off the radar of the gov't. Had they all been off in teh foothills, living off the land, I might have a better view. Instead, they lived in cities and large towns, existing on the shadows - and often using things put in place by local gov'ts to help the homeless and below poverty levels, such as food, shelter and other services.

The reality is, while many will live happily together, for the better of society, without law and leaders, society cannot exist. There will always be those who seek to corrupt and destroy. And to take advantage of the weakest.

And might I add something to back on page 1: that drugs don't hurt anyone except for the one doing them. You really believe that BS? Seriously? Illegal drug use hurts many people - from children stunted by user parents (ignored, abused, abandoned, underfed, exposed to chemicals) to the drug cartels selling the drugs, that run countries illegally, killing anyone in their way (ooh, how does that anarchy work?). Legalizing it isn't much better either. Yeah, it cuts cartels out but it doesn't repair lost lives and families destroyed.

I am entitled to my views as much as you are. Unless of course, you are setting the rules, under a dictatorship, in a power struggle. Like so many countries have seen when gov'ts fall.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: tax rate on 08/30/2013 11:13:55 MDT Print View

My solution is for people to become more aware that corporations and super wealthy have bought our government and vote for people and call them to get them to remove loopholes.

A problem is that medical expenses have continuously expanded to the point it's crippling the economy because we're spending so much. The red part of that graph keeps getting bigger so it's now the biggest piece. State and local governments, companies, and individuals are similarly effected.

Take for example the formula for a successful pharmaceutical company. Create a "blockbuster drug". Tweak an existing drug that was created by government research. Create some questionable data that shows it's slightly more effective. Bug doctors to prescribe it. Run ads on TV. Charge a lot and get lots of people using it. They have bought off the government to allow this. We have to fix this.

Obama Care has made some minor fixes, but it's so toxic now, it's impossible to make much progress. Again, the "Tea Party" fillibuster prevents much progress.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: WTO on 08/30/2013 11:24:21 MDT Print View

Yes, everyone is entitled to their views. What they are not entitles to is attacking others with name calling and belittling comments. One can still do that, but they lose respect from part of the community.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Slavery on 08/30/2013 11:26:21 MDT Print View

I surfed some really fun waves this morning, ate a great breakfast, and just finished lecturing two morning classes on ceramics. A great day all around. I'll finish work, drive home, hang out with my kids, probably take them out for an ice cream tonight.

I'm am not scared about bombs falling from the sky, a militia rolling into my neighborhood tonight and raping the women and killing the men, or my children dying from bad drinking water.

In the face of all of this, sitting around speculating on computers and sipping coffees..I find that to assert that "we" are all slaves is disingenuous to the extreme.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Slavery on 08/30/2013 11:57:08 MDT Print View

So Craig, what I hear you saying is:

"I enjoyed my slave eggs, surfed some sick slave waves on my slave board, and indoctrianted young slaves in my camp of lies."

I'm not sure if I was on the high road before but I'm certainly not on it now.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Slavery on 08/30/2013 12:26:12 MDT Print View

Yeah, that's pretty much it Ian.

I'm going to politely walk away from this now and go enjoy being a benefactor of Statist Empire.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: WTO on 08/30/2013 12:54:55 MDT Print View

"Yes, everyone is entitled to their views. What they are not entitles to is attacking others with name calling and belittling comments. One can still do that, but they lose respect from part of the community."

True but I suspect that if every dissenting opinion was responded to with something other than "you are a (edit: brainwashed) slave and lack the mental faculties to understand how wrong you are about a system that has never existed," this discussion may have gone another direction.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 08/30/2013 12:55:34 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Re: Re: WTO on 08/30/2013 14:27:35 MDT Print View

True Ian.

Yuri R
(Yazon) - F
Lost cause on 08/30/2013 14:29:13 MDT Print View

i know you think you got it all figured out and the rest of the people are deeply lost and mistaken in their world views and believes. There is little if anything anyone can do here to show you otherwise. And it is not due to lack of argument, but because you are willing ignoring the arguments others are making.

When someone puts an argument in front of you - you just claim that they are rambling and start posting pictures with slogans. Believe it or not, but i bet majority of people here would agree that you are the one who is rumbling and making little sense.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Lost cause on 08/30/2013 15:18:05 MDT Print View

For anyone who's interested, I'd recommend reading Five Years to Freedom.

http://www.amazon.com/Five-Years-Freedom-Story-Vietnam/dp/0345314603/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377896302&sr=8-1&keywords=five+years+to+freedom

This is an interesting book about a Green Beret who spent five years as a POW in Vietnam. There's one part where Lt. Rowe was being "educated" by one of his captors about the superiority of the communist political platform. Lt. Rowe asked the most basic of all questions, if Communism is so great, why are GDR and Soviet Union Citizens risking life and limb to escape their countries? His captor could not provide an answer and had to consult with his superiors to craft an answer.

Dean L
(AldoLeopold) - F

Locale: Great Lakes
Re: slavery on 08/30/2013 16:31:36 MDT Print View

So Ike have you ever been bull-whipped? Or had your child taken from you and sold? Or worked all day in the fields while wearing shackles?...I think not.

To conflate slavery with what is likely your very comfortable existence while posting hyperbolic messages Ad Nauseam is a disconnect from reality. Notice there is hardly a speck of sympathy for you or your position. I suspect that you are young, perhaps when you have a some more years added and fully develop your senses you can make some informed and debatable observations. Until then it is just endless circular recycling of talking points.

Talk about.. what is the term you like so well.. logical fallacies?

ITYMST-wait for it

Edited by AldoLeopold on 08/30/2013 16:37:58 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: slavery on 08/30/2013 16:33:27 MDT Print View

When you say "Ian" do you mean "Ike"?

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: slavery on 08/30/2013 16:35:16 MDT Print View

"So Ian have you ever been bull-whipped? ?"

Hey it's America man! What me and the missus do in our free time...

(Well now this doesn't make much sense at all.)

Edited by IDBLOOM on 08/30/2013 16:39:25 MDT.

Dean L
(AldoLeopold) - F

Locale: Great Lakes
Re: Re: Re: slavery on 08/30/2013 16:41:32 MDT Print View

IAN-sorry and corrected :)