Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014
Display Avatars Sort By:
Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA
Re: "6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014" on 10/23/2013 15:29:46 MDT Print View

Duane Hall wrote: > ...may have loud stoves in use..
Sorry, buddy, no loud stoves allowed. ;)

I'll look forward to meeting you in person (I will be there again this year).

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: "6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014" on 10/23/2013 15:48:47 MDT Print View

Hey, I love the sound of someone firing up a jet turbine stove at 6 a.m. ;)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014 on 10/23/2013 16:43:39 MDT Print View

"Hey, I love the sound of someone firing up a jet turbine stove at 6 a.m. ;)"

Me too! Means coffee will be ready soon.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014 on 10/23/2013 19:13:08 MDT Print View

Thanks HJ, it'll be good to meet you and listen to you about stoves. I'll blend into the background after a minute or two. Three months to decide which stoves to bring, plus a few gals. of water, good excuse to use the new 33oz. winter volume pack if I don't get out here again next week or two. The Primus 41 makes a big flame, but I'm sure I'll bring a couple old 8's and maybe a MF and a small brassie of some denomination for some different smells. At the TH, maybe a 22.
No Via anymore, I can have regular coffee of sorts using a small filter.
Duane

Edited by hikerduane on 10/23/2013 20:22:56 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014 on 10/23/2013 19:16:56 MDT Print View

Via is not coffee in my book. Only real coffee goes in me. I'm hoping Jim launches another fireball! That got everyone's attention.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA
Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014 on 10/24/2013 10:26:55 MDT Print View

Hey! That was two years ago, not last year. Everyone has forgotten about it by now. Besides, Dragonfly stoves are supposed to fireball. ;)

I could do my "why your remote canister stove needs a pre-heat loop" demo. That's always fun.

And that's after it settled down some. The initial flare size surprised me so much (even though I caused it deliberately) that I didn't snap the photo for a couple of seconds. It's an interesting demo, but I'm hesitant to repeat it!

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014 on 10/24/2013 14:39:19 MDT Print View

Hey! I never said it was last year.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014 on 10/27/2013 10:44:27 MDT Print View

The 25th also coincides with a scheduled trail work day organized by the Pine Ridge Association. So if you have energy to burn, you have a chance to give back.

http://coepark.net/pineridgeassociation/pra-event-list/details/19-trail-work-day

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014 on 10/30/2013 19:25:51 MDT Print View

85 days!

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014 on 10/30/2013 21:34:54 MDT Print View

Well when you put it that way it sounds like a long time away!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014 on 10/30/2013 21:59:36 MDT Print View

Last time I counted was 110. Will be here before you know it. With the holidays coming up and all.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

6th Annual G.G.G. etc. on 11/03/2013 19:34:58 MST Print View

Edited out the whining...

I needed a break from the forum as it was apparent that BPL has been a bit too important to me and that RJ is getting under my skin. Thanks for all the kind comments and words of encouragement that follow in this this thread. Also thanks for the all the PMs. Your a great bunch of folks.

I want to thank everyone for their interest in this annual event. It has been my pleasure putting these together. I am amazed at the fact that almost everyone who has signed up has been before. You are an amazing group of people from such diverse backgrounds. Conversations are never dull. Everyone is so nice to one another and the community spirit is alive and well. With everyone's support I was able to make a donation on our behalf to the Pine Ridge Association, the volunteer group that keeps the park running. Thanks again to John Abela for setting up the website for this event. It's made such a difference.

I once again want to thank Ken Helwig for having the great idea of the GGG. I am truly sorry how thing have wound up between the two of us. My fault, no excuses. I hope that you can forgive me in time.

Edited by kthompson on 12/16/2013 09:08:04 MST.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. etc. on 11/03/2013 19:46:32 MST Print View

I sent you a pm as well, but have no problem posting this in public. If you want to take a break because you want to or need to, then do what you have to and we'll miss you . If this is because someone else made comments about BPL being someone's life...then please don't leave.
BPL is pretty much the extent of my social life; I work then rush home in the woods to work some more. I don't go to parties. I work on the weekend and when I don't , I like to be home with family. BPL and the outings we do is where I get to hang out with people. So what? I don't care if to someone else it isn't much; to me BPL is a bit of family and you are a part of it. Unless you really want to leave, I would much prefer you stay and keep pushing even when it makes others uncomfortable.

Michael Driscoll
(Hillhikerz) - F

Locale: Monterey Bay
6th GGG on 11/03/2013 19:49:49 MST Print View

Ken, I always viewed you as a moderator and a voice of reason on BPL... anyway you have made my short time here more enjoyable and looking forward to real coffee @ the 6/GGG with you...

David Gardner
(GearMaker) - M

Locale: Northern California
Re: Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. etc. on 11/03/2013 19:52:43 MST Print View

Ditto Katharina and Michael

Edited by GearMaker on 11/03/2013 19:54:24 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. etc. on 11/03/2013 19:56:05 MST Print View

"I am considering a self imposed break from posting for the rest of this year at least."

Can I have your van?

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F
Looking forward to seeing EVERYONE at GGG VI on 11/03/2013 20:57:45 MST Print View

Ken,

Michelle and I just came back from Angel Island, where we camped the weekend with friends we met on BPL. They brought their 8 month old son and we brought our three youngest daughters to explore the island.
In three weeks we will go to Yosemite with friends we met at GGG IV and V. This summer and last summer I went on long trails with a friend I met at GGG IV.

Where am I going with this, you wonder. To me BPL and GGG are complementary - both are creating a community of like-minded people despite them coming from many different, diverse backgrounds. Both do it in a completely different way, but they "talk" to the same people. GGG has enhanced BPL tremendously by providing the opportunity to meet many people at once face to face, talk around the camp fire, exchange tips, show gear and make friends. Many of us backpacked alone in the past, because it was hard to find like-minded people for our excursions. With the combination of BPL and GGG a whole community has been built (at least here in the West) where it is easy to find people with similar backpacking style and go out together. You and Ken and Tony and Mark (I'm sure I forget others) deserve a lot of credit for making GGG what it is. GGG has grown over the years and with the recent addition of vendors it has become even more valuable for many participants. My observation so far has been that the people at GGG and on BPL who share a passion of backpacking (however light) are very inclusive. Despite any differences people might have in other areas of life, out there backpacking in the woods or mountains they are very helpful.

I hope that both BPL and GGG will continue to flourish and I'm willing to do my part by helping with GGG and being helpful on the BPL forums whenever I feel I have something to contribute.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Manfred

P.S.: Ken, I have read the majority of your posts in the last couple of years. Seeing your name as author of a post makes me open it and read it, because I appreciate your direct style. Stay true to yourself.

Matthew Black
(mtblack) - F
Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. etc. on 11/03/2013 21:36:04 MST Print View

Ken,

I don't contribute heavily to the forums and I don't follow all that goes on here very closely. I have lurked here since 2008 and learned a great deal by reading member's posts about gear, cooking, trip reports and the occasional random thoughts.

I fully understand being socially awkward. I've never been outgoing and don't make friends easily. In the aftermath of divorce I came back to the only city that ever felt like home and started trying to rebuild my life.

I threw my name out for a Lost Coast trip in April of 2011 and had a great time while learning a lot just by looking at how people hiked and the things they carried. This was the first time I met Ken, Casey Bowden, Kat and John Abela. I've been on several trips with them since then and many more with people I met at the GGG or through BPL forum trips.

I have been hiking and backpacking more frequently than at any previous point in my life and all of it with people who were complete unknowns before this site was recommended to me. I am grateful to have met all of you and count you as friends.

I can't think of any other single place to find so many people who are non-judgmental, yet graciously offer advice and suggestions for making your backcountry trips safer and easier.

I don't concern myself with the site's management or mission statement. I've gotten a lot out of it and will do so for as long as it exists because of the members. It was after meeting the above folks that I felt compelled to pay for membership as a thank you for the experiences that the people who frequent this site have given me.

Do what's right for you. Sometimes it is best to take a step back from things and get perspective. Even if the site disappears the people are still right where they have always been.

I will see you at the GGG and I hope many other times after.

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. etc. on 11/03/2013 23:05:47 MST Print View

Ken,

Although I don't always agree with all you grievances with the administration of the site, I think you and others have made many fair criticisms. I believe the strength of this forum more than ever is its members (customers) and they have neglected and not been listened to. I share many of your frustrations. From what I have seen, you point out issues because you care about the forum and community and not because you troll filled with vitriol. After spending a night around the campfire chewing the fat, I think most people who are critical of you would agree you are a good guy even if they don't share all the same opinions. The humanity is easily lost over the internet. Thank you for giving voice to many of my issues with the direction of the forum. A temporary break may be a good idea but I would hate to see you go.

I'm looking forward to sharing a beer at the GGG.

Edited to add:

I wanted to add that I am optimist and believe things will improve. I hope you and others don't walk away.

Edited by Davidpcvsamoa on 11/04/2013 20:19:32 MST.

Peter S (masc. ├╝ber linear logical club)
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
Loss on 11/04/2013 01:26:36 MST Print View

This is not good for the BPL community.

I hope you'll come back if things improve around here.

Take care Ken, you'll be missed.