Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014

Display Avatars Sort By:
Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Acorns? on 01/26/2014 20:33:23 MST Print View

Were those acorns stored in the bark of a tree?

Cheers

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Acorns? on 01/26/2014 20:36:58 MST Print View

Yes, there is a type of woodpecker native to California called an acorn woodpecker that stores acorns in holes in trees. They can be difficult to pull out without something to pry with.

Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
Re: Acorns? on 01/26/2014 20:38:35 MST Print View

"Were those acorns stored in the bark of a tree?"

yep.
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Acorn_Woodpecker/id

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Acorns? on 01/26/2014 21:01:06 MST Print View

"Were those acorns stored in the bark of a tree?"

Further, the acorn woodpeckers leave them in the bark until they need food in mid-winter. Not only do they get the nutty goodness, but there is an extra.

After several months of being cached there in the granary tree, tiny insects will have invaded the acorns. Then the acorn woodpeckers eat the nutty goodness, but also some animal protein as well.

I've been watching and photographing that same oak for a lot of years now. Different birds.

--B.G.--

Jon Fong
(jonfong) - F - M

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR
Thanks Ken for a great event! on 01/26/2014 21:03:02 MST Print View

Well, with was my very first G.G.G. and I have to say, I had a whole lot of fun! It was great to meet everyone, but I am sorry to say that I was so busy, that I probably only remember a few of your names. I’ll have to say that one of the biggest rewards for me was to see the looks on your faces when I pulled out various freshly baked goods. I had a ball and hope to be back next year. I want to especially thank Ken and his crew for pulling off an outstanding event. Best regards - Jon

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Very nice group on 01/26/2014 21:15:00 MST Print View

Nice to be able to talk to any vendor and have their attention, especially Lee from Trail Designs and Jon from Flat Cat Gear and his brownies. Many thanks to others who even came up to me and introduced themselves, even with me being a hic from the sticks and fast approaching geezerdom. Thank you Ken for the Starlyte stoves and setting this up. Sorry Diana V for all the stoves at breakfast, but at least you understood, thank you again for hauling my two gallons of water in. Hi Kat, hope you can do a trip and I'm there. HJ, good to see you in person. 200 stoves? Really? Ian from WA was a very nice gent, he packed my ice chest in for me. Many other really nice younger folks too. No kids in my neighborhood, so I enjoyed listening to the kids playing. Could not believe how warm it was there. My EE Enigma quilt worked great, but then it only got to 49F at night.
Who's that geek without the shirt? :) I was sweaty after jogging most of the way out and back in for a pot, not pot.
Duane

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Re: Back from the GGG on 01/26/2014 21:18:42 MST Print View

Ken - Thanks for putting together another incredible outing. These gatherings keeping getting better each year. You continue to do an outstanding job organizing and representing our unofficial group. Who knew an internet upstart could be held in such high regard by the State Parks Office and 100+ backpacking friends.

Jon - Very cool of you to demo your gear and gourmet trail cooking ideas. At the end of a hard day on the trail I would give the world for one of your burgers and a brownie.

Special thanks to the anonymous BPLer who donated the fire pits.

I was battling a flu/cold and so I spent too much resting resting rather than socializing. Always nice to see old friends James, Chris, Julie, Andrew, Ellen, Marc, Rick, Jacob, Mark, Kat, Jay, Kevin, Jack, Richard, Tony, Manfred, Michelle, Jane, Josh and many others. Steven and Doug thanks for traveling so far to hang out. I know I am forgetting many others who deserve thank yous and shout outs.

Rex - I have enjoyed your articles. It was nice to speak to you in person.

Ian - So glad you made it down. I have enjoyed your posts and sense of humor. Nice to put a face with the goat avatar.

Aaron - Thanks for the company and conversation walking in.

Marc/Rick - Thanks for the water.

I hope to hike with as many GGGers as possible in 2014. See you on the trail.

David W.

Edited by Davidpcvsamoa on 01/26/2014 21:56:12 MST.

Max Katzmartsic
(yetti6969)

Locale: Northern California
Awesome! on 01/26/2014 22:37:16 MST Print View

Thanks to Ken for making this happen and thanks to everyone else for making this an awesome weekend! I met a lot of great people and everyone was super nice. Thanks for all the encouragement and advice for my PCT hike this year. Hope to see everyone again next time!

Edited by yetti6969 on 01/26/2014 22:37:54 MST.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: GGG6 on 01/26/2014 23:08:21 MST Print View

I added my photos and additional write up here:
http://hikeitlikeit.com/2014/january-fun-at-the-ggg/

:) later!

Doug Smith
(Jedi5150) - F - M

Locale: Central CA
Re: Names on 01/26/2014 23:56:55 MST Print View

Kat, it was nice meeting you as well. Don't feel bad about names at all. There were a lot of people there and way too many names to remember. I figure this was just year one for me, hopefully I'll meet more and more people each year (in other words Ken, keep up the good work. hahaha).

Marc Eldridge
(meld) - MLife

Locale: The here and now.
Re: "6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014" on 01/27/2014 08:05:15 MST Print View

Great job Ken for putting this on. Really too many people to meet and talk to but that's what makes if fun. Glad to see all the old faces and meet some new ones this year. Will look forward to next year and to coming years.

Edited by meld on 01/28/2014 07:54:21 MST.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Re: "6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014" on 01/27/2014 09:26:44 MST Print View

I think the poles may be Tony Wong's, he posted that he left a pair.

Erik G
(fox212)

Locale: THE Bay Area :)
Had a Blast on 01/27/2014 09:29:04 MST Print View

Another big thanks to Ken and everyone else who helped organize this shindig! I had an awesome time meeting people and oogling all the cool gear.

Some highlights for me:

-Meeting lots of other BPL members - best part of the whole thing
-Hot tent with Ti wood stove - way cool
-SMD new and updated shelters
-Caffin stove - Bought one in the GGG shipment. Love it. Beautiful and thoughtful design, Roger.

Can't wait until the next one!

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F
Geocaching (with kids) on 01/27/2014 10:23:03 MST Print View

Several kids approached me about geocaching during the weekend. They were excited when our family finally arrived and wanted to go geocaching right away.
Sorry, that I didn't anticipate the demand for repeated geocaching. We can do it again at the next meeting. I just need the parents to let me know how many kids they will bring, so I can stuff the geocaches accordingly and we don't disappoint any kids.

Some parents also asked me about geoaching, GPS receivers etc. Here is an article I wrote after last year's GGG. Have a look and feel free to ask more questions.

Some adults had questions too -- it was fun to watch Denise find her first geocache. Seeing her dog Zara, I would gladly exchange GPS classes for dog training classes for the two dogs my kids have.

Best Regards,

Manfred

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Please Repost your photos and comments in the Photo Gallery on 01/27/2014 11:54:30 MST Print View

Wow....you guys and gals are fast with posting your photos and comments.

Making me look like the lazy bum that I am!

Anyway, I just created a thread in the photo gallery for the 2014 GGG.

I arrived very late this year....2pm, so if you have any photos to document what happened and have comments, please post them there.

If you have already posted here, if you could please just copy and paste over to the thread in the photo gallery, that would be much appreciated.

Also, as before, I will be posting up photos with numbers by them.

If you are in the photo or see your shelter/gear, please PM me information for the caption to appear under the photo....wacky comments appreciate and encouraged as I often use what you give me word for word....as a quote.

Side note: YES, those are my Hiking Poles that I left behind in the parking lot! Drove back to find them, but figured that Marc would have scooped them up. He PMed me about them. Thanks everyone...had those poles for a very long time- memories. :)

Appreciate your patience...I have about 230 photos that I resized last night.

When I get home tonight, I can start posting.

Tony

Ben Feldman
(fenbeldman) - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
thanks for a great weekend! on 01/27/2014 16:38:54 MST Print View

great meeting everyone! please be in touch re: Bay Area adventures. -Ben

Ian Van Halen
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: thanks for a great weekend! on 01/27/2014 16:41:38 MST Print View

Lovely weekend with wonderful people. I'll post a more thorough TR later but seems I left my Eddie Bauer daypack on the picnic table. Please PM me if you grabbed it as I'm trying to remember what I left in it.

Edit: Thanks for the PM.

Edit part deuce: I originally thought that the $5 per brownie Doug was charging was a little spendy but after tasting them, found that they were well worth the money. Thanks DK for sending them.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 01/27/2014 16:55:20 MST.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Re: thanks for a great weekend! on 01/27/2014 17:07:56 MST Print View

But...but...he PROMISED he wouldn't charge for them. Oh, that choirboy innocence...and now it's too late to commit douglascide, since we took him back to his hotel last night and he flew back home at oh-dark-thirty this morning. #$*&@(&!!! But on the plus side, at least it sounds like he didn't eat all of them before they got to Coe.

Doug? Yoo hoo, Doug? I demand 50% of the take!

All kidding aside, I'm glad you enjoyed, them, Ian - sorry I didn't get to meet you and all the new folks, but maybe next year...

Edited by dkramalc on 01/27/2014 17:14:56 MST.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: thanks for a great weekend! on 01/27/2014 17:14:36 MST Print View

So glad I drove the 375 miles each way.
Now I get to go to a 2nd event right around the corner in socal.

Who's the lucky one?

Had a blast. Loved the new SMD packs.
I'm going to order a 40 Flight. It fits better than any pack I have ever tried on.
The dual pull from the underside in back is such an awesome way to adjust a pack.

For moving quickly I always find that when you get the hip-bilt adjusted perfect, pulling on the shoulder straps is just a way of shortening the torso and thus no longer having a good fit.

The comfort of the double pull makes flight 40's double pul the single best design on a pack ever (it's the only one of the new pack designs to have it).

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Back from the GGG on 01/27/2014 19:57:47 MST Print View

Always a great time at the GGG visiting my Cali friends. You're right Kat, I need to move west! Soon, soon. Thanks for all those who put up with me, a special shout out to my good friend Ken, as always, for all the hard work you do in putting this thing together every year and always making me feel very welcome, and to my new friends Debbie and Larry for letting me crash at your place and for letting me lick the brownie batter bowls! and the wonderful dinner my last night in town, and to Sharon for the ride, I owe you a tank of gas!

Was great spending time with those I've come to appreciate and even call friends - Kat, David W., Steven Paris, Josh (love the bike!), EJ, Marc, Matthew, the one and only Peter V., Jane (always an inspiration) and others, and for the new friends I made - Diana V., Sharon, Ian (thanks for the bottle! Used it on the way home) and more. Jay W, seems I missed you, would have liked to say hello and show you the projector!

And thanks to the vendors who took the time to bring their wares and let us see what's out there. Highly appreciated.

And to whoever donated the fire pits - I would have been more impressed if they'd not been so small. Try and not be so cheap next time....

Looking forward to the next one!

Edited because, well, I had to....

Edited by idester on 01/27/2014 22:11:21 MST.