Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014

Display Avatars Sort By:
Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014 on 01/14/2014 21:04:35 MST Print View

If I can help anyone out:

I'll be flying down from Portland on Friday, arriving at noon. I'm renting a car, driving to Morgan Hill for any last minute things (and In-and-Out Burger, because, well, burgers) and heading up to the park. The only issue is that I'm going to leave on Sunday morning early enough to head up to Palo Alto to see an old friend, so I won't be able to drive anyone back with me.

Ken, out of curiosity, what campsite is the group at? The Manzanita one or the Poverty Flat one?

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014 on 01/14/2014 21:09:26 MST Print View

Ken, out of curiosity, what campsite is the group at? The Manzanita one or the Poverty Flat one?

Manzanita Point ones Steven. You'll see the signs and hoards of people avoiding Doug.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014 on 01/14/2014 21:20:12 MST Print View

"You'll see the signs and hoards of people avoiding Doug."

I'll be the one with a mini campsite all to myself - though not necessarily by choice.....

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014 on 01/14/2014 21:41:01 MST Print View

If anyone wants to carpool I will be driving from the Modesto area to Coe on Friday. I can do a pick up along the way (Livermore, Fremont, San Jose, Etc.). I am flexible about the timing.

Send me a PM if interested.

Joshua Billings
(Joshua) - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca
Biking to coe from santa cruz to coe on 01/14/2014 22:17:58 MST Print View

Hey everybody, I will be biking from santa cruz/Watsonville to coe on thursday morning. Going over mt. madonna rd. to redwood retreat rd. to watsonville rd. and eventually going into the park at the hunting hallow/coyote creek entrance in the late afternoon/evening. I will camp somewhere in the backcountry that night(near a lake). If anyone wants to meet up and ride part of the way or all of the way I would be into that. I have a touring bike with panniers so I am a bit slow on the dirt roads( no suspension) but i can move at a decent clip on the road if any roadies want to race.haha. So I'll see y'all there on friday sometime. Maybe I'll see you at mississippi Jay. Also I have a 600 gallon water tank that would fit in Marc's truck or you could use my truck if you need more water but someone would have to drive it since i'll be biking. Also, because of the steep hill i would only put about350- 400 gallons in it. Just a though.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Water truck on 01/14/2014 22:22:10 MST Print View

Awesome offer Josh. Marc added on another 40 gallons to what he is bringing. With that I think we'll be fine. Thanks.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014 on 01/14/2014 22:54:52 MST Print View

A word about park staff and volunteers. Henry Coe always has funding issues.This manifests itself most noticeably with staff. The volunteers that do most of the admin tasks at the HQ will be busy with us. Be patient and understanding with them. This is the biggest gathering we have had there so expect getting your parking passes and what-not to take a little extra time.

There is precious little parking at the top. Please do your thing, and go park at the overflow lot that you passed on your way up.

Those of you who have been before I am sure will be more than glad to help guide people where they need to go.

I hope the new signage eliminates any confusion one the way to camp.

Thanks in advance for everyone being their awesome selves. Thanks to Marc, Tony, and John for their generosity and help.

Can't wait to see you all!

Jane Baack
(JaneB.) - MLife
Peter's headnets at GGG-possible??? on 01/15/2014 17:22:29 MST Print View

Peter Vacco-
Just read in Gear Forum and on your website that you've stopped headnet production for now, taking a deserved break. Any chance you could bring any of your famous nets to GGG 6 and give BPLers one more chance to get your nets on Sat. or Sun.? If so, I'm ready to stand in line!

+1 to Ken's suggestion to be patient with Coe staff. It helps if you can bring cash for the parking permit. Don't know amount, assume it's on website. These folks have been helpful to us in so many ways in the past and I'm sure they will continue that this year. We are a very large group so it will take some time to process the forms. A good chance to meet others, also patiently waiting in line!

Jane

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

GGG Parking $8 day on 01/15/2014 18:40:49 MST Print View

This is payable at the visitor center, or the iron ranger out front. They do accept checks. Jane makes a great point. Try not to need change.

Thanks for everyones cooperation.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
6TH Annual G.G.G 1/24-26 on 01/15/2014 18:48:17 MST Print View

Thank You Ken for all your dedication and support! You are the Man, Man!

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

6TH Annual G.G.G 1/24-26 on 01/15/2014 18:59:07 MST Print View

Thanks Jay. The van will be there sans letters. The missing trim piece is back on. Home away from home.

Weather forecast looks fantastic. No mention of a storm of the century like before.

I'll see you in eight days.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
6th Annual G.G.G. on 01/15/2014 19:03:24 MST Print View

"Weather forecast looks fantastic. No mention of a storm of the century like before."

Wonder if the Donner Party thought the weather was going to be nice, too.

Do we eat Doug first? Seems like if we decide now, it'll save all sorts o' trouble.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. on 01/15/2014 19:06:41 MST Print View

"Do we eat Doug first?"

You really want that much fat in your diet?

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. on 01/15/2014 19:09:11 MST Print View

"Do we eat Doug first?"

How much is bacon?

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. on 01/15/2014 19:15:06 MST Print View

Steve,

I can not eat Doug....I am forbidden from eating of the Swine. :)

@ Everyone else: Probably goes without saying, but given how many of us there are, we want to make sure that when we leave, we pick up any bits of trash to pack out or to put into the trash cans. Through Ken and self policing, we have done a great job over the years to try to leave the campsites as good, if not better than we found them. Think we have earned the Park's trust and the privledge of being able to come back year after year.

Though, it is a good thing that we don't let the park staff see Doug....he might ruin it for us. :)

Tony

Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. on 01/15/2014 19:29:08 MST Print View

Question:

Does California formally recognize "Loincloth Saturdays"?

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

6th Annual G.G.G. on 01/15/2014 19:32:28 MST Print View

Does California formally recognize "Loincloth Saturdays"?

Legal only with permit

Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. on 01/15/2014 19:36:31 MST Print View

"Legal only with permit"

Same in Washington but I've found that saying "This is the way of my people" seems to confuse the inquiring officer long enough for me to skip away.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. on 01/15/2014 19:37:35 MST Print View

Concealed carry is all I care about.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

6th Annual G.G.G.last minute questions on 01/16/2014 07:10:33 MST Print View

I head down one week from today. Any questions?