Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jon Fong
(jonfong) - F

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR
Gear Demos at G.G.G. 1/24 -26 on 12/24/2013 10:17:58 MST Print View

Greetings All!

I am compiling a list of gear demos and cooking demos that people would like to see. If you have any particular gear or food that you would like to see let me know and I will see what will fit in my pack. So far, people have requested:

ISO-Clean isopropyl alcohol stove demo
Dry baking
Esbit stoves: Epicurean and Focus Fire 14
Pan frying
The Emergency Kitchen setup.

Best regards,

Jon

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Burning things at the 6th Annual G.G.G. on 12/24/2013 18:02:39 MST Print View

Speaking of burning things. I will have a fuel dump in the courtesy tent. Some partial canisters, white gas, alcohol, and some Esbit. So if you want to try something new or were forgetful this should help you out. And some matches to go with, of course.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Burning things at the 6th Annual G.G.G. on 12/24/2013 18:05:14 MST Print View

"I will have a fuel dump in the courtesy tent."

Definitely help those of us flying! Thanks!

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014 on 12/25/2013 17:05:52 MST Print View

Ken, if you get too much white gas if any at all, I can take some off your hands. I go through a few gallons a year, using my old stoves. Kero too. HJ wanted to see one of my rare stoves, but I'll probably leave that in the truck, so he'll have to be at the right place at the right time, I do not want to leave it in my shelter and may not have room in my pack after adding a few gallons of water.
I can finally request time off for 2014, starting on the 26th, just have to navigate thru the new system at work.
Duane
Got thru the new system, I'm in.

Edited by hikerduane on 12/26/2013 08:55:32 MST.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014 on 12/26/2013 17:45:52 MST Print View

Jon,

I doubt that I will need hand warmers, but happy to pitch in some money to help out with your cost.

$10 or $20 bucks....just let me know what you need.

Tony

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
6th Annual G.G.G. needs more room. on 12/30/2013 06:18:26 MST Print View

It's sad that that we have run out of room so quickly. This morning there are ten of you on standby.

Edited by kthompson on 12/31/2013 06:05:39 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
6th Annual G.G.G. vacancies on 12/31/2013 06:11:18 MST Print View

Good Morning Everybody,
Due to the demand I have added another group spot for our stay at Henry Coe. #6 across the road from the other two. I have contacted those on the standby list for first dibs. For now I will say that I have 15 spots available. Please register here

GGG Registration

These will be the last available spots released. Thanks for your interest and support. I'll see you there.

As always, feel free to PM with any questions.

Edited by kthompson on 01/01/2014 20:26:57 MST.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. vacancies on 12/31/2013 10:15:33 MST Print View

Ken,

Do you need any help with funds for paying for the 2nd spot???

Tony

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
6th Annual G.G.G. vacancies on 12/31/2013 18:01:22 MST Print View

Thanks, but no Tony. I have it covered.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. vacancies on 01/01/2014 20:25:22 MST Print View

Still waiting to hear from some of those on the standby list. There are 12 more spaces available at the time of this post.

Edited by kthompson on 01/01/2014 20:28:44 MST.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear) - M
Re: Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. vacancies on 01/01/2014 21:32:33 MST Print View

Would love to come to this, but alas the west coast thang aint easy for some of us east coasters.

Wonder if there is any interest in an east coast version of this at a different time for those of us without the moola, time, etc to make it to the west coast one?

The east coast motto could be, "it won't be as cool, but at least it's a hellava lot closer to you".

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: GGG Franchise on 01/01/2014 21:41:02 MST Print View

Take a look at the underutilized member map and you will see why the Bay Area meet gets the numbers of attendees it does.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=53151

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear) - M
Re: Re: GGG Franchise on 01/01/2014 22:33:37 MST Print View

Yah, makes sense. Wasn't aware of this map until now.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: GGG Franchise on 01/02/2014 00:33:27 MST Print View

Justin,

I am sure that if you organize an East Coast GGG of your own, it would build up to something like we have over hear.

The 1st one was only attended by about 15-17 people and it slowly grew from there.

In our case, we have been fortunate to have Ken leading the charge on this....he has taken the idea of the GGG from Ken H., who started the 1st GGG, and turned it into the big event that it has become today.

I have picked Ken's brain last year about what advice he would give to someone if they were to organize their own GGG and here is what he came up with:

Tips for Organizing your own Gathering of Gear Geeks:

1. Site Selection

• Number of People Dictates the Location
• Human Waste Disposal Determines suitability of site selection
• Water availability at site
• Are Fires Allowed
• Online Research & Communication

2. Ease of Permit and Location Access

• Keep it simple: no special use permits, no insurance waivers, no hassles
• Parking Lot Size, Availability, and Permits for Vehicles
• Develop a working relationship with Rangers & Park Staff
• Distance Needed to Hike to Campsite Determines How Many Will Attend
• Meeting at the Trail Head or Campsite

3. The Considerate Dictator

• Pick at a Date that is good for YOU- avoid big holidays & vacations
• Creating the Online Invite: One Easy, Informative, and Updated Posting
• Don’t Be Mom; everyone is an adult- just set it up and let them show up

4. Paying for it All

• Expect to Cover Upfront Cost Out of Your Own Pocket
• Low Cost is Key for a Good Turn Out: No renting private ranch or campground
• Clear Posting of Per Person Fees to Attend & How the Money is to be Spent
• Paypal: Easy of Use and Accounting for Who Paid and When They Paid
• List of Who Has and Has Not Paid on clearly listed on the Online Invite/Forum

5. Preparation & Recruiting Help

• Master Check List to Keep on Track & Organized
• Doing a little bit all of the time…spacing out the work load
• Name Tags...help break the ice for everyone, new and old timers
• Pit Toilets/Outhouses: Toilet Paper, Wet Wipes, Glow Sticks, and Air Freshener
• Support Vehicle: Firewood, Duraflame log as fire starter, Water, Water Jugs, Shovel, Broom, Trash can, Trash bags
• Have extras of all the supplies you are taking...especially toilet paper
• On Site: Cleaning out the Fire Pits & Clean Pit Toilets/Outhouses
• Don’t be afraid to reach out and ask for help- people will volunteer

6. Fun Activities & Events

• Wood Stove Burn Off- fire making skills
• Encourage people to show off/share their talents: gear collections to show & tell

7. Leaving the Site Better Than You Found It

• Cleaning Up & Packing It Out
• Maintaining Good Working Relationship with Park Rangers and Staff
• Earning the Chance to Return to the Campsite by being considerate park visitors

8. Sharing the Memories

• Posting Photos & Telling the Story Online: Giving a Reason to Do It Again

Note: I have had the pleasure of posting photos of all the G.G.G.s since the first one, I would like to believe that by posting a good trip report with lots of photos of what happened at the GGG has help create interest for people to attend future ones.

Anyway, I hope that this helps...think I will create a separate thread with these tips, with the hope that it might inspire others to organize their own GGG.

Tony

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
Caffin Stove Group Ship for GGG; Save $26.25! on 01/03/2014 16:53:01 MST Print View

Can't wait for the GGG. For anyone interested, Roger is able to ship about 8 Caffin stoves in a 1Kg box saving a whopping $21.25 over individual shipping - that's $3.75 shipping/piece instead of $25. I'm only 45 min away and would be happy to bring them. On top of this he's also offering a $5 discount for the GGG.

He recommends ordering by Jan. 8 to get them in time for the GGG. If anyone is interested, please PM me. You would pay Roger directly.

These are the latest stoves and have the upgraded tripod legs Roger has mentioned.

Latest photos of the stove at the bottom of this thread: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=79750&skip_to_post=732829

Stove information in this article in 3 parts: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffin-evolution-of-winter-stove-part-3.html#.Ushot9JDuAg

Edited by mountainwalker on 01/04/2014 13:00:44 MST.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Caffin Stove Group Ship for GGG; Save $21.25! on 01/03/2014 17:58:09 MST Print View

Ah well. I have some uncommitted stoves at present. I was expecting them to last a while ... Maybe not.

The closing date for final Paypal to me by 8-Jan. Sounds early, but the speed of the Post is a bit variable. Be painful if they turned up a day late! But you need to get in early so I can sort out the postage details. Postage would be to EJ, who would then take them to the GGG.

The stove (any version) costs $140, but if you are a member of BPL the cost is reduced to $125. For the GGG I will drop to $120 per stove, plus Paypal fee of about $5.40, plus postage.

Post and packing for a 1 kg box sent by Registered Post to USA will cost about $32. This has to be divided up among the buyers. The box and packing weigh 200 - 250 g, leaving 750 g for the stoves. A stove weighs ~85 g, so IN THEORY I can get 8 stoves in one box. I would have to use a larger box than normal in order to have enough room for enough bubble wrap, but I have allowed for that. Assuming there are 8 orders, that makes P&P of $4 per stove. Let's run with that for now.

Once we get over 1 kg the P&P jumps to about $55. That gets more expensive, and I don't have too many more than 8 stoves ready right now anyhow.

All stoves are tested in three ways before shipping. They are pressure tested (underwater) for leaks with the stove control valve turned off. They are tested for gas flow to make sure the jet and valve are not blocked. Finally, they are 'burn-tested' to make sure they work how they should. This last test means the burner will not look 'new', as it has had a flame on it.

Regardless of all of that, if you have any problems in this beta-test phase, please contact me. First of all, I WANT to know what problems are found: that's what a beta test is about. A couple of small items have been reported and fixed already - mainly individual problems generally confined to one stove. Anyhow, any faults found WILL be identified and fixed.

So, if you want a beta-test stove at the GGG discount, contact me FAST via roger@backpackinglight.com .

Cheers

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Caffin Stove Group Ship for GGG; Save $21.25! on 01/03/2014 18:06:38 MST Print View

How about a link to these stoves?

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Link to Caffin 3 oz inverted canister stove article and thread; GGG & shipping discount on 01/04/2014 13:10:05 MST Print View

Doug I just edited my post above to include the link to Roger's stove article and photos and the latest forum thread (which I also posted below). This is an inverted remote very low CO canister stove that weighs only 3 oz.

There are already two buyers so the shipping is now only $16 instead of $25 and there's an additional $5 discount for GGG attendees, for a $14 total discount. With another two buyers shipping will drop to only $8 each for a $22 total discount and so on. With 8 buyers, it's a $26 total discount.

These are the latest stoves and have the upgraded tripod legs Roger has mentioned.

Latest photos of the stove at the bottom of this thread: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=79750&skip_to_post=732829

Stove information in this article in 3 parts: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffin-evolution-of-winter-stove-part-3.html#.Ushot9JDuAg

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

GGG list of gear you're bringing (shelter, packs, sleeping bags, quilts, stoves, cookpots, etc.) on 01/04/2014 13:16:35 MST Print View

Aside from meeting some of my favorite folks in the flesh, the GGG is just about the best time to see an amazing variety of high quality light cottage gear in one place - an amazing resource for comparing shelters, packs, sleep systems, etc.

Ken is there a place where everyone can list items they are bringing that others might want to check out, so you know who to seek out at the GGG?

Or might there be an area or planned activity to place like gear items together for people to see/handle? My apologies if this has been mentioned already - haven't read the whole thread.

I'll be happy to post photos/video again for folks who can't make it or who live far away - though that doesn't seem to be stopping Doug : )

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: GGG list of gear you're bringing (shelter, packs, sleeping bags, quilts, stoves, cookpots, etc.) on 01/04/2014 16:23:37 MST Print View

With as many as we have coming what won't we have there? Seriously, I don't have a place to list that anywhere here. Should another thread be started? I can put the link in the first post of this thread to help guide people to it.