6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014
Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014 on 12/16/2013 19:10:11 MST Print View

I have a WTF certificate, would that help?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014 on 12/16/2013 19:21:33 MST Print View

Thanks Jeremy.

Doug. If anyone needs medical attention, it's you.

Edited by kthompson on 12/16/2013 21:45:57 MST.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014 on 12/16/2013 20:53:17 MST Print View

My WFR / EMT certs have lapsed but I'll bring a small trauma kit w/ SAM splints, bandages, etc.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Burning things at the 6th Annual G.G.G. on 12/16/2013 21:59:53 MST Print View

"Sign me up. GOLD Gear will be there again this year. Looking forward to it and the wood and alcohol stove "burn offs".

Did we decide that there would be two wood categories? Natural aspiration and mechanically-aided?

There has been discussion of the alcohol stove burn off, but no firm rules yet, I think. May I suggest two categories: "Limited" and "Unlimited"? "Limited" would be fastest to boil 2 cups of water using 30 ml of fuel or less (given the cold temps and windy conditions last year, this seems like a fair challenge). "Unlimited" would just be fastest to boil, using any amount of alcohol the stove can use.

Any thought of having an Esbit burn off too?

I'm assembling my competition rigs, getting ready."

I haven't planned any burn offs at this time David.

Competition rigs. That struck me as funny. I visualized set ups with sponsorship stickers on them. Pro fuel.

Is anyone else interested in any kind of burn contests?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

6th Annual G.G.G. events/activities on 12/16/2013 22:03:54 MST Print View

FYI

There will be NO Gearswap in camp this time. It's always been a cluster and a logistics problem. I think this is best done at the parking lot on Sunday. Discuss.

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Locale: Northern California
Re: Burning things at the 6th Annual G.G.G. and Events/Activities on 12/17/2013 01:24:14 MST Print View

Ken,

I'd be willing to take the lead to organize and furnish fuel and a digital scale to measure the water for the burn offs, if there is interest.

Yeah, competition rigs. No decals obviously, but specialized stoves optimized for the competition parameters. I know, I'm over the top. My name is David, and I am a stovie.

Regarding the gear swap, does that apply to vendors too? Should we plan on bringing a sampling of our wares to the campground, or leave them at the parking lot?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Burning things at the 6th Annual G.G.G. and Events/Activities on 12/17/2013 07:03:57 MST Print View

With concerns about the swap. I mean that I won't be trying to setup a particular place and time in camp. It just never works. Yes, some of the vendors will have a sampling of their stuff to display and then sell off. Zelph is sending me a box of stuff to show and give away. Jon from Flat Cat will be bringing a bunch of different setups, and probably sell them off there as samples. Not sure what Jack has on his mind with regards to Borah Gear. Ron and Brian will have the new packs to show off, but have not used the word sell in any of my communications with them. Kat has not said one way or another about her hats and such. So if you have something new to show, bring that. Leave the other stuff in the car. Let the selling happen as conversation dictates. But trying to get everyone there at one time to able to shuttle their stuff to and from camp is just too much of a PITA.

We had sales out of car trunks the first few GGGs and that seemed to work best.

With the burn off. Let's wait a bit and see if there is interest and plan from there.

I'm willing to do what the majority is interested in, regarding any activity. So if you have an opinion, let's hear it everyone.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Burning things at the 6th Annual G.G.G. and Events/Activities on 12/17/2013 07:28:58 MST Print View

I most likely will have very little stock to bring, but I will have some samples and I can teach some folks to knit if there is any interest.
Also, I plan on bringing some trail cameras and showing the different options and set ups.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Re: Burning things at the 6th Annual G.G.G. and Events/Activities on 12/17/2013 11:18:44 MST Print View

I have a brass, Optimus 45 alky does that count? :) We talking UL/SUL stoves only? :)
Duane

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Burning things at the 6th Annual G.G.G. and Events/Activities on 12/17/2013 14:58:19 MST Print View

Ken,

Welcome back and good to see you here.

I agree with not having the gear swap at the campsite.

I think that it would make sense for venders to bring in what they can and want as display/demo items and letting the selling happen in the parking lot.

Plus, this will motivate people to clear out of the campsite on the morning of the last day to get to the parking lot for the gear swap and gear sales for vendors.

Come to think about it....do we want to have a designated time for the gear swap and sale on Sunday morning?

This would allow people who can not make the GGG come out to see, touch, taste, etc the gear from the manufactures and maybe make some sales....if the manufactures wanted to do that.

Again, just an idea.

Regarding name tags....you have some from last year.

Do you need me to bring more???

Tony

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. Events/Activities on 12/17/2013 15:11:19 MST Print View

"Come to think about it....do we want to have a designated time for the gear swap and sale on Sunday morning?"

This group is like trying to herd cats. Some want to linger in bed until 9 or later, some are up and gone early. I just don't see it working out.

And yes Tony I have plenty of name tags. But thanks for the offer.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. Events/Activities on 12/17/2013 17:43:18 MST Print View

Ken,

Challenge for 2015 burn off.

Do something twisted like provide the fire starting materials to the participants and see if they can get a fire going.

Example: Fire steel, some tinder, and twigs and wood.

More of a fire building skill with competition to boil water as the time pressure element to the task.

Regarding the gear swap....yeah, like herding cats.

Maybe best to say in the parking lot Sunday....everyone figures it out for themselves.

If you need me to bring any supplies for the GGG, please let me know.

Tony

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. Events/Activities on 12/17/2013 20:17:06 MST Print View

I think the entire stove kit should be packed away in your backpack.

Then, GO...

That's how it's done in the real world.

Michael Driscoll
(Hillhikerz) - M

Locale: Monterey Bay
6th Annual G.G.G. on 12/20/2013 07:59:15 MST Print View

Ken was thinking how I may be able to help out and thought if I brought a good led light for the bathroom at night and a led arrow for the trail into camp, that might be helpful...

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Chez G.G.G. ambiance on 12/20/2013 18:06:04 MST Print View

Already have those bases covered Michael. Thanks for thinking of it though. And thanks too for the offer.

Jon Fong
(jonfong) - F - M

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR
Re: Re: Burning things at the 6th Annual G.G.G. and Events/Activities on 12/21/2013 16:20:43 MST Print View

Greetings!

For the G.G.G. West event coming up in January, we are planning on bringing gear for cooking demonstrations. These demos will include, regular boiling along with dry baking and maybe even some steam baking. We expect to bring 3 full Bobcat Cooking systems with all of the pots and pans needed for the demo. We will also bring several complete Snow Leopard systems, also complete with mugs and pans. I will bring as much stuff that I can fit inside my pack. We also plan on demonstrating different alcohol fuels as well as stoves designed for Esbit and Isopropyl alcohol.

I am planning on bringing various windscreens made from aluminum, stainless steel and of course titanium. These cooking systems will be available for purchase at a discounted price after all of the demonstrations are finished. Completely new systems will be ~20% off and slightly used equipment will have a steeper discount.

If you have a particular piece of equipment that you would like to see, contact me at Jon@flatcatgear.com . See you there! Jon

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Jon from Flatcatgear will be attending the G.G.G. & Demonstrating!!! on 12/23/2013 20:14:32 MST Print View

Jon,

Looking to seeing your gear and demos.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to come out to the G.G.G.

Hope that you will be able to mix pleasure and business while you are out there...sure you will have fun.

I know that I will have some questions about your Epicurean Titanium Stove as a means to get more boils per esbit cubes.

Anyway, excited to see more manufactures come out to make the G.G.G. all the more special.

Tony

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014 on 12/24/2013 07:57:22 MST Print View

30 days until the 2013 GGG!!!

@Jon/FCG... I would like to see one of those home emergency units. You ever get your website updated and I might order up one of those.

@All, I will probably not be taking most of my gear with me, so if I got anything you might want to see that I have drop me a message and I will get it packed up.

After last years "will cuben fiber melt" test, this year I will be bringing some more CF of different weights to see how the different weight of cuben fiber melts :-D

I will also be bringing some GG LT4's that are totally locked up... and going to have a "bang them against a tree" session... so everybody can see how much abuse they can take before they break. ;)

I am also thinking of dropping the money for another case of handwarmers. They seemed to be fairly popular last year. If I were to do so, would those wanting some, be willing to throw in a buck to help me cover the cost??

Soul patch
(mtblack) - F
Re: Re: 6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014 on 12/24/2013 08:44:42 MST Print View

I'll pitch in on the hand warmers. They were delightful last year.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: Burning things at the 6th Annual G.G.G. and Events/Activities on 12/24/2013 10:11:28 MST Print View

Jon,

I've exchanged a couple emails with you in the past and I'm happy to hear you will be at GGG.

Sounds like you are bringing what I'd like to see but I'm interested in viewing both of your Isopropyl stoves if at all possible. I'd be happy to bring a bottle of Isopropyl alcohol with me to help free up some space in your pack; let me know.

As far as technique goes, I watched one of your videos yesterday where you fried some eggs/pancakes using diluted alcohol. I'm interested in buying a Banks Alpine Fry-Bake pan (8")later this spring and am interested in using it as part of this system. I would like to pick your brain at GGG to see if that's doable or not. After re-watching Ryan's video, looks like I may be able to do this with without a twig fire on top.