Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014

Display Avatars Sort By:
USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
GGG Fire Ban on 01/18/2014 09:10:05 MST Print View

I've run into "churchy" people up north here in the Caribou Wilderness who after I informed them campfires were banned due to high fire danger and was posted at the TH also, told me it was a tradition for them to have a campfire when camping. Well too bad. Don't burn me out of my home. You can go home, I'll have to look at a burnt forest for the rest of my life. They were nice folks, but did not get it. I hope bpers understand the meaning and take it to heart and try not to skirt the law because they want to use a alcohol stove just to save weight. Get another stove!
Duane

Tony Ronco
(tr-browsing) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: GGG Fire Ban on 01/18/2014 15:02:48 MST Print View

From the link Dan Yeruski provided: http://www.sltrib.com/outdoors/ci_12715936

" Another increasingly popular alternative is to purchase a propane fire pit, some not unlike gas logs popular in homes. Two Utah companies, Camp Chef in Logan, and Wheel Campfire in West Valley City, produce fires fueled by traditional propane tanks. Wheel Campfire also offers accessories that include heating racks for Dutch ovens and a wok.

While these propane fires don't provide the smoky ambiance of a traditional wood fire, they do offer advantages. They are legal during fire bans and light instantly on cold mornings or when the weather is bad.

'If it has a valve and when you turn it off it goes out immediately, then you are okay [during a ban],' said Reid Shelley, assistant fire management officer for prevention for the Wasatch-Cache-Uinta National Forest. "

... probably a bit too heavy for backpacking

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
GGG Campfire is a go on 01/18/2014 17:02:30 MST Print View

There will be two propane fire pits at the GGG.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: GGG Campfire is a go on 01/18/2014 22:15:54 MST Print View

Holy crap, how are you pulling that off!?

Fire pits?

Either way, that is awesome.

Tony

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: GGG Campfire is a go on 01/18/2014 22:18:36 MST Print View

BPL magic Tony. It's pretty awesome.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Re: Re: GGG Campfire is a go on 01/20/2014 11:02:02 MST Print View

If it's helpful to anyone, here's a marked up interactive Satellite photo/map of the GGG area at Henry Coe S.P. You'll have to zoom in (a lot) to make sense of the Park HQ area.

Generally, I believe they want you to park in the big lot I've marked "GGG Parking". There's a little trail (shown in blue) to the Park HQ area where you pay your Park fee.

You'll then want to proceed to the Manzanita Point group camp sites, about 2 miles in. I'm not sure which site(s) are ours this year; inquire at the Park HQ. The trail route is shown in red. Note that the trailhead is very close to the Park HQ.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving
Hikin' Jim's Blog

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: GGG Campfire is a go on 01/20/2014 12:09:44 MST Print View

Here's a photo map of the parking area, Park HQ, and trailhead. Click to enlarge.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving
Hikin' Jim's Blog

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Excellent GGG Map on 01/20/2014 13:12:26 MST Print View

Thanks Jim. Fantastic.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Re: Excellent GGG Map on 01/20/2014 14:49:48 MST Print View

You're welcome, Ken.

By the way, all of the way points and tracks are exportable to either KML or GPX format which can presumably be loaded into Google Earth (KML) or loaded onto a Garmin GPS device (GPX). I downloaded the GPX points, and they look good, but I haven't tried loading it onto my Garmin eTrex 30. I'll try that tonight if I have time.

Might be handy if someone were to pull in after dark.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving
Hikin' Jim's Blog

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Excellent GGG Map w/waypoints on 01/20/2014 15:34:04 MST Print View

With Jim's map and John's website with all the links I don't want to hear how anybody didn't know how to get there, what to find there, etc... It's been the best time ever so far. 4 days before and nary a peep. Must be working.
Thanks everyone.

Erik G
(fox212)

Locale: THE Bay Area :)
Question about parking and fee on 01/20/2014 17:19:50 MST Print View

Can I just park in the overflow lot and walk to the HQ and pay my parking fees, then head to the group site?

OR do I have to get a physical parking permit from the HQ and put it in my car? I've never been to Coe before, so not sure how the parking and fees work. I'm sure I'll figure it out one way or another :)

CAN'T WAIT!!!

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Question about parking and fee on 01/20/2014 17:28:06 MST Print View

Erik,

I think there's something you're supposed to put in your window, but my memory is a little hazy. There is an Iron Ranger, so I think you can take care of your fee at the "overflow" parking lot and then just stop by the HQ if you need maps or directions.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving
Hikin' Jim's Blog

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Question about parking and fee on 01/20/2014 18:08:42 MST Print View

"OR do I have to get a physical parking permit from the HQ and put it in my car? "

Yes.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
6TH Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 Mississippi Lake Hike before the Gathering! on 01/20/2014 18:46:07 MST Print View

Leaving early Friday morning to Mississippi Lake and I will spend the night out there plus return to the GATHERING around noon on Saturday. A great hike before the party begins at the G.G.G.!!

Soundgarden will be performing at Mississippi Lake

Edited by Creachen on 01/20/2014 18:47:00 MST.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014 on 01/20/2014 18:55:49 MST Print View

Jay, I'm sorry to say that Soundgarden had to cancel; here's the replacement band:

one direction

Have fun!

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
6TH Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014 on 01/20/2014 19:30:52 MST Print View

LOL!!!!! How about Green Day?

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: GGG Waypoints on 01/20/2014 20:25:04 MST Print View

I exported the map that I posted earlier and then imported it into Garmin Basecamp. The points plot, and everything looks good at least with the high level map that comes with Basecamp.

So, you should be able to export and load to your GPS if your GPS is compatible with GPX format, possibly KML also although I haven't tried that.

HJ
Adventures in Stoving
Hikin Jim's Blog

Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Mapquest on 01/21/2014 09:56:05 MST Print View

The universe seems to be conspiring to derail this trip for me but looks like Houston has cleared me for launch.

Here are the driving instructions per MapQuest; do these look correct?

20. Merge onto I-680 S via EXIT 40 toward Benicia/San Jose.

21. Merge onto US-101 S toward Los Angeles 25.2 mi

22. Take the Masten Ave exit. 0.4 mi

23. Turn left onto Masten Ave. If you reach US-101 S you've gone about 0.2 miles too far 1.0 mi

24. Turn right onto Center Ave. 0.4 mi

25. Take the 2nd left onto Rucker Ave. Rucker Ave is 0.3 miles past Villa Real Ct
If you reach Omar Ave you've gone about 0.5 miles too far 0.8 mi

26. Turn right onto New Ave. 1.6 mi

27. Turn left onto Roop Rd. Roop Rd is 0.1 miles past Justin Morgan Dr
If you reach Dryden Ave you've gone about 0.3 miles too far 1.9 mi

28. Turn left to stay on Roop Rd. 1.3 mi

29. Roop Rd becomes Gilroy Hot Springs Rd. 3.4 mi

30. [4200-4699] GILROY HOT SPRINGS RD.
Your destination is 0.7 miles past Canada Rd
If you reach the end of Gilroy Hot Springs Rd you've gone about 2.7 miles too far

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Mapquest on 01/21/2014 10:05:49 MST Print View

That doesn't sound right. You should be on E Dunne Ave. let me look it up.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving
Hikin' Jim's Blog

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Re: Mapquest on 01/21/2014 10:13:56 MST Print View

Ian,

I think that's taking you to another entrance, not the entrance you want. Try these Google directions. They're arbitrarily from the Oakland airport, but you can customize your start point as suits you.

EDIT: if the link isn't working, try cutting and pasting this: http://goo.gl/maps/7xpqc

HJ
Adventures In Stoving
Hikin' Jim's Blog

Edited by hikin_jim on 01/21/2014 10:18:56 MST.