Anyone ever use PayPal's "resolution center"?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Daniels
(oruacat2) - F

Locale: Bluegrass country
Anyone ever use PayPal's "resolution center"? on 08/28/2013 09:41:31 MDT Print View

Paid for an item on August 12th.
Was told by the seller that he would ship on August 13.
Still no item on August 20, so contacted seller asking for a tracking #.
Seller replied on August 21 - STILL had not shipped, but would do so ASAP.
That was the last contact I've had with the seller.
It's only $25, but at this point it's the principle of the thing. I've bought and sold many items over the past year or two, and this is the first and only problem I've ever had.
I initiated the PayPal "resolution" - maybe he'll respond to them - requesting a refund.
We'll see how that goes.

Lou Z
(lugee) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
yes on 08/28/2013 10:03:17 MDT Print View

Given you have a good case, PayPal tends to side with the buyer. The seller will have a chance to dispute the claim. If the seller doesn't, you get your money back immediately. if the seller does, it may take a month or so before the money shows up in your account. I had two rounds of disputes and claims before PayPal returned my cash.

The more proof you have the better.

Edited by lugee on 08/28/2013 10:04:10 MDT.

Ken Daniels
(oruacat2) - F

Yep on 08/28/2013 10:32:13 MDT Print View

I've kept copies of all pms/emails back and forth, and the original "for sale" thread is still here, so we'll see how it goes.

Chris Valery
(fortran42) - F

Locale: Western North Carolina
Paypal Resolution Center on 08/28/2013 11:04:55 MDT Print View

I've had 3 such instances (on Ebay purchases)and they ruled in my favor on all of them. It is a hassle but well worth the effort. Documentation is important. Again, before sullying someone's reputation try to resolve it peaceably but please alert the community here if youn have a true "scammer".

Cheers

Ken Daniels
(oruacat2) - F

A perfect example on 08/28/2013 11:41:00 MDT Print View

...of why I won't ever use the "personal/gift" option on PayPal.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Anyone ever use PayPal's "resolution center"? on 08/28/2013 11:53:46 MDT Print View

Ken,
If that was someone here on BPL, I'd appreciate knowing who it was.

Trick me once shame on them. Trick me twice, shame on me.

Community resolution is way better that the "third party" resolution.

Edited by greg23 on 08/28/2013 11:57:09 MDT.

Ken Daniels
(oruacat2) - F

Agreed, Greg on 08/28/2013 12:03:26 MDT Print View

I won't be shy about it - I'm just giving him a chance to respond and explain himself. His excuse for why a full week had passed without shipping the item yet was that he had "worked a couple double shifts" - at a Siberian saltmine, I presume. Some communication would be key, though at this point I STILL want my $25 no matter his reasoning.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
don't be shy. on 08/28/2013 12:17:56 MDT Print View

I'd say it's probably time (after two weeks) to not be shy!

If it's the one purchase you have in your post list, it's clear who it is.

One thing I always do if I buy something from someone is first look how many posts they have. In his case, his FS post was his FIRST post on BPL. I never buy from one of those folks!

I hope it all works out for you. I'd be on to Paypal Resolution ASAP!

Ken Daniels
(oruacat2) - F

I'm the same way, Dave on 08/28/2013 12:28:11 MDT Print View

But I figured for such a small purchase it was worth the one-time risk. Around the same time I did a trade with another BPL member (the stove I owned previously for his cooking pot) and that whole exchange only took a weekend. He got my stove the following Monday, and I got the cookset the same day. No snags, no miscommunications - quick, simple, and painless, as it should be.

I've been "the new guy" before, and still am here, for the most part. Someone had to trust me the first time I bought or sold an item, so I'm hoping there's a logical explanation.

dave e
(hipass) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
paypal gift refund on 08/28/2013 13:02:28 MDT Print View

I thought that i heard paypal is just as vigorous with refunds on the gift option.
In any case they are extremely bias in the buyers favor which is abused by many-kind of like rei return policy.

Ken Daniels
(oruacat2) - F

"gift" option on 08/28/2013 13:22:04 MDT Print View

Not sure about that, Dave - some forums I frequent actually forbid the use of the "gift" payment option specifically because the buyer has no recourse in case something goes amiss.

As for bias in favor of buyers - I hope that's the case, since a seller can easily provide evidence in his/her favor - tracking #/delivery confirmation for example.

That's all I wanted when I PMed him last week - a tracking number - so I can figure out if the post office/UPS/FedEx is just slow, if the package went to a wrong address, if the package was delivered and swiped off my doorstep, if the package was signed-for at my apartment's office - but I got nothing. No information for a week now.

Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

Locale: Southwest
Shipping on 08/28/2013 13:22:27 MDT Print View

Regardless of the circumstances, I feel sellers should be prepared to ship an item in a timely manner. I realize life happens and "timely" is subjective but if you aren't prepared to ship an item within 2 to 3 days of receiving payment, make that clear in your post or wait and sell at another time.

dave e
(hipass) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
Ken on 08/28/2013 13:31:43 MDT Print View

if the seller has stopped communicating then they lose any credibility.If they are too busy to ship or update you they shouldnt be selling.

Ive experienced pp resolution as both buyer and seller but its been a few years and im sure its changed.

I think the most important thing for a buyer here or on ebay is to see if they are new and if so,dont use the gift option.I dont know what the cap is on pp refunds?

Edited by hipass on 08/28/2013 13:33:32 MDT.

James Couch
(JBC) - M

Locale: Cascade Mountains
PayPal Gift payments on 08/28/2013 13:34:34 MDT Print View

I never buy anything via the gift payment. It is against PayPal's user agreements (on both sides - buyer and seller) and it is dishonest. Now I know that lots of folks who are honest are inclined to 'play the system' but for me, if I am buying from someone I have never met, I want to know they are an honest person all around, asking for a gift payment always makes me shy away.

If the paypal fee is to much for you to absorb, just build it into your selling price.

F. R.
(fugitiveride) - F

Locale: Syldavia
Avoiding PayPal disputes on 08/28/2013 15:01:15 MDT Print View

Another option if you're not in a hurry, is to pay by USPS money order.

Edited by fugitiveride on 08/28/2013 15:01:49 MDT.

Jeffrey McConnell
(Catalyst) - F
Re: Ken on 08/28/2013 15:03:46 MDT Print View

"if the seller has stopped communicating then they lose any credibility"

I agree. I understand things happen, but once you stop communicating it can be really frustrating. I recently had a situation where I was selling an item and for some reason I now can't find it. I immediately refunded the money and apologized. Although disappointed, I'm sure the buyer was happy to have his money back rather than to have me hold on to it and continue to look for the item without communicating the situation. I still can't find that stupid bear canister. How does something like that disappear anyway?

Troy Ammons
(tammons) - F
Anyone ever use PayPal's "resolution center"? on 08/28/2013 15:07:17 MDT Print View

If you paid for goods with the 4% fee and the seller cant prove the item was delivered to you via tracking then you will get you $ back as long as you did not send the payment gift.

IE I got burned many years ago, sold a guy a small porsche part on Ebay, just dropped it in a box and sent it snail mail no tracking, and he claimed he never got it. I could not prove he received it so paypal extracted $ out of my account and credited him.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
@ Jeff on 08/28/2013 15:19:28 MDT Print View

"I still can't find that stupid bear canister. How does something like that disappear anyway?"

Is there a cliff near your house? We've learned on that other thread that the bears in California have been known to roll them over the rim and see what goodies pop out. But more likely it was an impish Islandic Huldufolk elf that sneaked into your gear closet and moved it while you were asleep. They like to mess with us like this.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Anyone ever use PayPal's "resolution center"? on 08/28/2013 15:35:58 MDT Print View

I used that successfully.
The seller cancelled my order than asked via E Mail for me to re-order outside E Bay.
E Bay ruled in my favour and I got the item at the original price.
(it was a Buy Now item)

Ken (summmitboy)
(khmcnair) - MLife

Locale: Ottawa, Canada
RE:Anyone ever use PayPal's "resolution center" on 08/28/2013 16:14:20 MDT Print View

Ken,

Have not done this with PayPal, but had a successful ruling in my favour with eBay. Paid for a GMRS radio; it never arrived, despite endless "shipping soon", "out of stock", "back order", type emails. I forwarded all of them to the Resolution Centre and they refunded me, less a few $ Canadian duty/tax. Seems I was not the only one to get ripped off,so I presume eBay went after the seller...

Ken.

Edited by khmcnair on 08/28/2013 16:14:53 MDT.