Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 2014 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open: Marias Pass to Monture Creek

Display Avatars Sort By:
Cyrus Dietz
(Cyrus) - M

Locale: Midwest
Water crossings on 12/10/2013 12:21:37 MST Print View

I am trying to put together a tentative gear list and considering a boat for crossings. I was wondering if the Scout was big enough to carry (1) person with (2) peoples gear and then on second trip(2) people across a river section? Dave, what are your thoughts? My other thought was to bring Kate's Apaca stripped down (no seat, backrest, or deck)for that purpose.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
tandem scout crossings on 12/10/2013 14:42:51 MST Print View

Cyrus, that would be theoretically possible, but the Scout would be front heavy, and finding room to paddle would be tough. I'd only want to do the gentlest crossings that way.

Meredith and I have done tandem crossings in my Yak a number of times, and that works well. 12" tubes are good here. Two trips are still required if both people have full packs, and care is required in moving water.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

2014 Bob Open on 02/03/2014 11:36:35 MST Print View

Bump for February.

Our snowpack is in fine shape at the moment, at or above average for everywhere in the Bob complex. As usual, what that means for early June will depend on when and how fast melting gets going in April.

Depending on who shows up, I'm expecting on route times of 3-7 days. For folks traveling from well out of town who'd like to make even more of an adventure of it, there are a couple of intiguing options to add a prologue of sorts in Glacier NP. I'd be willing to help with that, including route planning and bringing a resupply of food to Marias on Saturday.

I'd encourage anyone who can make it to plan on a dinner and gab session Friday night at the Snowslip Inn, a fine bar and restaurant well beyond all cell service about 15 miles WEST of Marias Pass.

Edited by DaveC on 02/12/2014 10:06:34 MST.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: 2014 Bob Open on 02/03/2014 14:26:25 MST Print View

Thanks for the update, Dave. I'm out for this year. Had to choose between this or spring run and I've hardly been able to train for that. Maybe next year I'll get to join you guys. Will be watching from afar until then!

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah
Bob Open partners on 02/03/2014 14:49:19 MST Print View

I'd be interested in partnering with someone for a pedestrian (no raft) route.

Nicholas Viglione
(nicholas.viglione@gmail.com) - MLife
Re: Bob Open partners on 02/12/2014 09:35:12 MST Print View

MG - I would definitely be interested in a pedestrian route - don't get much opportunity where I am in NY for rafting so my whitewater skills are more than a little out of date... (I think I managed to eskimo roll my old Dagger exactly twice when I was 13...).

Feel free to shoot me an email at nicholas.viglione@gmail.com if you want to chat more!

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
Thanks Malto! on 02/12/2014 11:07:36 MST Print View

I had a couple of x-country jaunts as back-ups, better look closer at these. Planning on 7days max right now, could drop if the bushwhacking works in my favor. I knew that I would need to check on burn areas, better just do it now.

No t-shirt at the finish? Not allowed to stop to poop? We will have rocks and curses thrown at us? Sounds like both of my day-jobs... nothing new there. Thank-you John, I just love a motivational Hitler rant first thing in the morning.

Steven

Cyrus Dietz
(Cyrus) - M

Route time on 03/04/2014 10:23:18 MST Print View

I need to be back in Minneapolis by Friday afternoon June 6th for my daughters graduation ceremony. So a 5 day route time is needed…planned for (Wednesday night could end up being an all-night affair). As for pack rafting, my observations of the North Fork of the Sun were that is was very floatable south of Lick Creek, but north of there it was full of wood. My big fear right now is too many miles walking in deep snow, that would really slow me down.

Edited by Cyrus on 03/04/2014 10:24:10 MST.

John St. Laurent
(johnstl) - M

Locale: Pacific NW
Route Time on 03/04/2014 14:42:40 MST Print View

Cyrus, what sort of times were you splitting last year? I don't think I ever saw a write-up.

The distance between Hwy 2 and Benchmark took me four days on foot last year. I'm considering trying for three days this year, since the big creek crossings can be avoided and my thinking has been corrupted by heretical ideas from ultra-running friends. I think the finish is 20 more miles from there, over the Divide. I think you can pull off five days, especially if you float some of it.

All the passes on that final day are 7,000'+ though. The fingers of my left hand still have ghost-numbness from our last escapade together in that sort of terrain :)

Edited by johnstl on 03/04/2014 14:43:12 MST.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Re: Route Time on 03/04/2014 15:11:17 MST Print View

I'm planning on a sub-60 hour finish, which will take a lot (lot) more effort than 52 hours did last year.

John is correct to be concerned about the final passage into the Monture drainage. The possibilities for snow slogging and route finding problems on the obvious routes are immense. The shortest route is almost certainly not the shortest route. Hint. ;)

Cyrus Dietz
(Cyrus) - M

timing on 03/04/2014 15:18:18 MST Print View

John, We were averaging 20 plus mile days, but we never broke camp before 8 or 9 am. We had a couple of nights where we ended up camped next to a couple raging creeks, waiting till morning to figure out how to get across them. That cost us a few hours each time.
Creek fording was all new to Kate and it took her some time to get comfortable with that. Packrafting the Sun was the highlight of the trip for me.

Did you get a packraft John? Kate and I are planning to head out to the Bob before Memorial Day to do some packrafting the week before the event. You are welcome to join us.

John St. Laurent
(johnstl) - M

Route Time on 03/04/2014 16:29:37 MST Print View

Five days might be a cutting it close then, although you might be able arrange a bail option at Benchmark if you come up short on time.

I didn't end up doing the packraft purchase this year. Mainly because I don't know anyone who could join me for local outings, which makes for a bad cost-per-use ratio, at least if buying new. However, I did see the posting for the packrafting festival in Montana in July and am toying with the idea of checking it out, which would make for a better informed decision in the future.

There's Dave with his cryptic warnings again. It must be the beard. When I had a beard I felt mysterious and sage-like too :)

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Re: Route Time on 03/05/2014 07:43:44 MST Print View

The July Roundup should be a good time. Jackson Hole Packrafts is giving discounted rentals for it.

As always, on the day before the start I'll tell anyone who shows up exactly where I'm going and why.

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: 2014 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open: Marias Pass to Monture Creek on 03/05/2014 07:59:17 MST Print View

I got an opportunity to go to Europe for work for three weeks at the same time that I just couldn't pass up, so I'm not gonna make it this year. I came up with what I think is a pretty good route; I'm curious to see if anyone ends up going the way I was planning. I hope everybody has a good time and I look forward to the trip reports.

Edited by andrew.f on 03/05/2014 08:00:05 MST.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
BMWO on 03/05/2014 09:32:57 MST Print View

"I'm planning on a sub-60 hour finish, which will take a lot (lot) more effort than 52 hours did last year."
Wow. It gets me stoked just thinking about pulling sub 60 hrs off. I'd love to tag along some year.

As some of you know, I'm going to be on the PCT this summer so I can't make the BMWO, but I sure intend to be at events like this in the 2015. Such a great experience.

Edited by dandydan on 03/05/2014 09:33:49 MST.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Bob Open conditions update on 04/23/2014 10:45:43 MDT Print View

I got out bear hunting in the North Fork of the Sun this past weekend.

Snowpack in the Bob is significantly above average at the moment. The lower elevations and (especially) more open and southerly aspects have melted out. We haven't had any particularly warm or sunny days lately, and thus the snowpack everywhere else is still quite robust.

All of this means little, other than that when/if we get truly warm days there will quite a lot of snow still to melt. May temperatures and precip will make all the difference, and as of now there is still a very wide range of possible conditions come late May.

Cornice formation and avalanche activity have both been exceptional throughout NW Montana this winter. I fully expect to still see remenants and evidence of both come late May.

John St. Laurent
(johnstl) - M

Snow on 05/07/2014 11:29:05 MDT Print View

Last year's snowless route has made me soft, but recent adventures in the late Cascade snowpack reminds me to start considering snowshoe options appropriate to a pack-n-wear style traverse.

I picked up the NorthernLite Elite QTR over the winter, but quite dislike the binding (which keeps slipping off) and don't really meet my crampon needs. I know Dave and Dan have both made use of the MSR Shift, which might be an option for me given my size 41 foot.

Any feedback based on experience with that model?

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Re: Snow on 05/07/2014 11:55:19 MDT Print View

I passed the Shifts along to a friends son. The binding opening in the shoe itself is too narrow, and forced them into a duck-footed orientation which was very annoying. I picked up an older pair of MSR Denalis at a gear swap last fall, and like them fine. The binding is good and the crampon is just aggressive enough.

John St. Laurent
(johnstl) - M

Carpool on 05/12/2014 12:12:50 MDT Print View

It just occurred to me that there wasn't any mention of a carpool in this year's thread. Is something similar to the previous year's arrangement planned?

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Re: Carpool on 05/12/2014 12:33:49 MDT Print View

I will not be able to assist with a ride from the finish to the start, the week previous will be too busy. I could offer a few folks a ride from the Flathead up to Marias on friday evening.

It refuses to get particularly warm around here, and has been cold enough to snow above 5k on several occasions in the last week. It's made for great skiing, and kept the rivers hi-ish but clear, but unless it gets very warm soon and stays there one should expect a lot of snow out there at the end of the month. For reference, the Pike Creek snotel (http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/snow/snowplot.cgi?PICM8; maybe 1.5 miles from the start) still has over two feet of snow.