Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 2014 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open: Marias Pass to Monture Creek

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
2014 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open: Marias Pass to Monture Creek on 08/27/2013 17:34:48 MDT Print View

The mass start date will be May 31st, 2014, at 0800 MST. Start location will be the rest area at Marias Pass on Highway 2. Finish is the Monture Creek TH north of Ovando.

The executive summary would note that this combines the potential snow hazards of 2012 with the water hazards of 2013, and is significantly longer than either.

Discuss.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
2014 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open on 08/29/2013 08:10:10 MDT Print View

Almost dead North to South - but as those familiar with the Bob know - the ranges that run it's length are all at a slight NW to SE angle. So with an 85 miles direct path from Point A to Point B participants will have to contend with a handful of divides.

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Locale: Cascadia
BMWO 2014 on 08/30/2013 09:48:27 MDT Print View

Wow great course. Nice to see the longer distance. Looks tough.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
BMWO 2014 on 09/04/2013 17:16:41 MDT Print View

Sounds tough, challenging, fun. Whatever this winter brings us will no doubt set the mood. I better get myself into shape.

Greg Gedney
(ggedney) - M

Locale: Rocky Mountain Region
BMWO 2014 on 09/14/2013 21:40:02 MDT Print View

Intresting course for 2014. North to south should pose a challenge as it limits rafting possibilities to only a relative few sections of river given the over all distance to cover. Might have to consider leaving the boat at home this time around. Looks like quite a few passes to traverse as well. This one will be tough on the feet but nevertheless looking forward to it.

John St. Laurent
(johnstl) - M

Locale: Pacific NW
BWMO 2014 on 10/25/2013 13:06:25 MDT Print View

OK, I'm in. Again.

2014 was supposed to be my inaugural packraft bid, but it looks like this will be a route for pedestrians, which is fine by me.

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Locale: Cascadia
BMWO on 10/26/2013 19:04:39 MDT Print View

Have you scooped up a packraft John? There's not major opportunities to save time with a raft on this route, but rafting a few short bits could add a neat dimension to the trip. White River is a sublime stretch.

Edited by dandydan on 10/26/2013 19:05:13 MDT.

John St. Laurent
(johnstl) - M

BMWO 2014 on 10/27/2013 13:46:59 MDT Print View

Not yet. Either this year or next. If this year, I'll almost certainly procure during the sale next month.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Anticipation. on 10/27/2013 15:03:16 MDT Print View

The nervous excitement begins. Should be a lot easier pre planning than last year since I know a bit more what to expect. I will take a bit more time than last year to take advantage of being in such a cool area.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

BMWO rafting on 11/02/2013 15:14:17 MDT Print View

Assuming normalish water levels, there's at least one good rafting route.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

2014 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open: Marias Pass to Monture Creek on 11/13/2013 16:09:54 MST Print View

Call me an armchair commenter because I've been following the race since it's inception but have not participated up to this point. Whatever, take it or leave it.

My research is showing a route that is between 104 and and 113 miles with roughly 19 of those miles possible as a downhill water route. What's everyone else's research looking like?

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: 2014 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open: Marias Pass to Monture Creek on 11/13/2013 16:21:43 MST Print View

For those of us who don't raft, the route I came up with is about 125 miles, with (at least) five potentially serious crossings. I'd like to participate again, but I haven't decided yet whether I'm comfortable with the route, given the challenge involved last year which had flows well below average. We'll see.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: BMWO routes on 11/14/2013 10:51:14 MST Print View

I rarely count miles with much precision. The route I aluded to above has between 20 and 30 miles of floating, depending on water levels and wood tolerance. As a further hint, hiking the same route has between 1 and 3 potentially gnar creek crossings (and two uses of stock bridges, which is sorta cheating).

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

2014 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open: Marias Pass to Monture Creek on 11/14/2013 11:10:13 MST Print View

Now let's not let this become another bolting or style debate like in the climbing world, please.

Any form of human-powered locomotion is allowed within the identified course area. No linear travel on the surface of paved roads.

John St. Laurent
(johnstl) - M

Shameless Bridge Use on 11/14/2013 12:06:43 MST Print View

I paid good tax money for those stock bridges!

There will no doubt be plenty of other opportunities for me to get wet, aside from any bridged crossings.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

bridges on 11/14/2013 15:22:21 MST Print View

Don't tempt me into changing the rules ;)

In all seriousness, it's interesting to think about just how much a bridge in a certain spot (Headquarters Creek) will change route planning. It's one of the things that makes this different than the Wilderness Classic.

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
BMWO Route Planning on 11/17/2013 18:38:33 MST Print View

I'll use a stock bridge but promise NOT to go out of my get to it. How's that? I'm also trying stay off pack trails to avoid the usual mudbaths that I have walked elsewhere but this might be tough since Monture Creek and the Flathead are main routes... correct?
I lost count on stream crossings but am planning on 3 passes: Hahn Creek Pass, Pot Lake/ Pot Mountain, Big Lodge Mountain. I am using and fully appreciating the attention to detail on the Cairn Cartographic maps!!
Steven M.

John St. Laurent
(johnstl) - M

A Similar Race Philosphy on 11/22/2013 17:49:30 MST Print View

This seems to reflect our event philosophy. Sort of...

Hitler Rants About Today's Ultrarunners
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbjxJVfOsvA&feature=youtube_gdata

rOg w
(rOg_w) - F - M

Locale: rogwilmers.wordpress
deleted on 11/22/2013 19:26:35 MST Print View

deleted

Edited by rOg_w on 12/12/2013 08:28:28 MST.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Re: BMWO Route Planning on 11/24/2013 09:44:13 MST Print View

Steofan,
last year on the Open I took much of your proposed route from near Larch Hill Pass through Shaffer. I did not take Trail 90 or 243 north or the intersection because they were closed due to fire. (I would check the status of those trails if your plan depends on them.) instead I dropped cross country down to Trail 83 via the Hoop Creek drainage. Pentagon Pass, which you referred to as Pot Lake or Pot Mountain is a classic Sierra style pass. there was a boatload of snow on both sides of that pass but very doable. Once out of the snow it was a cruise down to Shaffer. The river crossing at Shaffer will be one to watch. I didn't have much trouble with it last year, much to my surprise but it is a real river crossing and should be monitored.