November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
First Trip Report: Pemi West Loop
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan D

Locale: Boston, MA
First Trip Report: Pemi West Loop on 08/27/2013 12:42:17 MDT Print View

After a few years of day hiking, mountain "climbing", and fancy camping, I decided to give a real backpacking trip a go. I've been picking up gear over the past year or so, mostly used, and combined with my hiking gear and a brand shiny new Ohm 2.0, I was equipped.

My gear list thread is here:

My pre-trip plan thread is here:

The more I planned the more excited I got and with the weather forecast looking AWESOME, my original one night plan turned into two. With input from you guys, I decided on the Pemi West Loop which covers the Franconia Ridge (NH) and the valley to the east in a nice loop. It was a little tricky trying to divide the three days up evenly, but what I came up with was this:

Day 1: Lafayette Campground up and around Garfield and down to 13 Falls Tentsite. 11 miles, ~ 8 hours

Day 2: 13 Falls around down to Liberty Springs Tentsite. 13 miles, ~8 hours

Day 3: Liberty Springs up to Lafayette and down to the parking lot. 8 miles, ~5 hours

Here's how it went:

Day 1: I got a slightly late start and got on the trail at 9am. It was a beautiful day and up I went. I made decent time up to the Greenleaf hut, but I must admit the pack at 23lbs felt a little heavy compared to my usual day hikes. At Greenleaf I stopped to take a break and ate half my lunch. After that I pushed on to the summit. I was getting a little tired, but the summit was really nice. It was partly cloudy, but when the clouds parted every minute or so, the views were awesome.

(i'll insert pics when i get home, post to be continued)

Edited by TXBDan on 08/27/2013 12:43:10 MDT.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: First Trip Report: Pemi West Loop on 08/28/2013 13:27:52 MDT Print View

hey ya made it. will be interested to hear how your gear choices worked out.