favorite UL closed cell pad?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Joe Annese
(dirtbaghiker) - M
Re: Re: favorite UL closed cell pad? on 08/30/2013 10:42:01 MDT Print View

This is what I decided on. The GG torso lite egg foam pad thigamajig. I was considering cutting my Z lite and useing just 6 panels..but first I will see how I like the GG pad.

Daniel Parker
(Pharoah) - F

Locale: New England
Best cc pad on 08/30/2013 11:31:28 MDT Print View

I find the GG torso lite very comfortable, and warm enough for most 3-season stuff. I have a trimmed ridge rest, too, but I prefer the softer feel of the torso lite.

Joe Annese
(dirtbaghiker) - M
Re: Best cc pad on 08/30/2013 11:40:32 MDT Print View

Cool. Looking forward to useing it. Thanks

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
Re: Re: Re: favorite UL closed cell pad? on 08/30/2013 12:56:41 MDT Print View

Joe,
If you want the GG foam pad inside your pack and are adverse to bulk you will not like this pad. All foam pads are bulky compared to air pads.

The GG foam pad is more bulky that it needs to be as both the folds and the egg crate pattern conspire against nesting the high points into the low points.

I tried to minimize this issue by cutting at the folds and using duct tape to reconnect the 3 panels such that they next better, making the entire folded package flatter... but bottom line, there is no way to get around the bulk of foam pads. relative to air pads...

The bulk does not bother me as I just strap it to the back of my pack. Which is where I like it to be convenient to use as a sit pad on rest stops.

Bill D.

Sara Marchetti
(smarchet) - MLife
GG on 08/30/2013 14:51:33 MDT Print View

On my last trip I slept on a GG Torso pad. I'm glad I took a sleeping pill!

Joe Annese
(dirtbaghiker) - M
GG on 08/31/2013 18:57:33 MDT Print View

I got the pad yesterday. Love it. It's perfect size. A little bulky in the pack as a back pad, but i have so few items in there that it makes perfect room and fit. It's lighter then my neoair, won't puncture or leak, I won't have to waist time finding and repairing a leak if there is one, I can use it as a sit pad if needed on breaks or around camp and in an emergency I can pull it out of my pack get away from my pack and assume position on it during a lightning storm. It doesn't seem that bad to lay on, then again, I can sleep on a bed of rocks if I was tired and still be comfortable. Really, I think I made the right choice here. The Neoair was not that great to sleep on. Exspecialy if I rolled over and went a bit off the side of the thing..it was uncomfortable. Time and use will tell how it works out for me, but for my next few trips this is my go to pad. Thanks everyone for input and advice and help

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: GG on 08/31/2013 19:41:06 MDT Print View

I can't use a bulky sleep pad like that unless I carry it strapped onto the outside of my pack. I could carry it inside, but then I would have to use a larger pack. If there is any chance of rain, I roll it up inside my plastic ground sheet while I carry it.

Inflatables are OK (a) if they never leak and (b) if you get used to inflatable and (c) if you never get tired of inflating it.

--B.G.--

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
ccf on 08/31/2013 20:32:15 MDT Print View

"The Neoair was not that great to sleep on. Exspecialy if I rolled over and went a bit off the side of the thing..it was uncomfortable"

To each their own. I find my neoair to be the next best thing to a bed.

J C
(Joomy) - M
Re: ccf on 09/03/2013 06:04:38 MDT Print View

"To each their own. I find my neoair to be the next best thing to a bed."

Just how I feel about my Exped Synmat.

J Her
(sailfast3r) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
Ridgerest condensation on 09/16/2013 21:06:27 MDT Print View

it was low 40's out on Sat night and I slept in the hammock and used my ridgerest. I had condensation/sweat accumulate in the valleys of the ridgerest and my feet froze. (I did not pack the right socks or topquilt with footbox for this trip - lesson learned)

My back was warm, until i moved and exposed my moist back, then shivers. how to combat this? I had on wool long sleeve shirt, wool sweater, lightweight topquilt. I dont blame the ridgerest, but would it be beneficial to poke some holes in there to let some heat escape or does that defeat the purpose of the closed cell foam? Should I switch to an inflatable that will breath better.

really I should have had the tarp/bivy setup for this weekend. I didn't think it would get as cold as it did. I usually hammock for summer only. so my issue is not about hammock vs bivy, but what to do about ridgerest condensation. I've never experienced this before with a ridgerest. I am a moderate warm sleeper.