Fire Pot and Titanium Windscreen Kit
Display Avatars Sort By:
Rafi Harzahav
(rhz10) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
soot on 09/10/2013 20:50:49 MDT Print View

Dan

Did you find that the Everclear produced more soot at the bottom of the pot compared to the other fuels?

Thanks

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Re: soot on 09/11/2013 05:47:55 MDT Print View

I didn't pay attention to the bottom of my pot while using Everclear but did notice that the Sunnyside denatured alcohol produced it's usual discoloration which I describe as a "varnish" type deposit. It is very thin and hard, not sooty. When I do 3 more tests(modified burner) with Everclear I will start off with a clean pot bottom and watch for the deposit if any to accumulate.

This is a photobucket video I made this morning to show you what the bottom of the pot looks like after doing 6 test with denatured and 3 with Everclear.

Click on the photo to activate the video

video 2011-09-17235050_zpsbffc79e8.mp4

Brittany W
(quasarr) - F

Locale: Southeast
Great job! on 09/11/2013 18:02:54 MDT Print View

WOW! I love this kit, zelph! Too bad I missed it. I've been looking for a nice, compact kit that has a handle or pot grippers.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Great job! on 09/11/2013 19:47:39 MDT Print View

Hi Brittany, I can put together a kit minus the titanium windscreen for you. Let me know.

Brittany W
(quasarr) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: Great job! on 09/12/2013 09:40:03 MDT Print View

How much would that cost? Any chance Caldera would make a cone for this pot? I also don't need the wood/esbit options.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of MYOG capability right now, as I'm moving to a pretty small apartment.

Edited by quasarr on 09/12/2013 09:41:47 MDT.

William Chilton
(WilliamC3) - MLife

Locale: Antakya
Cone cost on 09/12/2013 09:50:00 MDT Print View

If you won't be wood burning, you can get by with the aluminium cone. Trail Designs doesn't list the Fire Pot as an option so you might have to order a custom cone, which adds $15 to the cost, bringing it to $49.95. However, since they have already got a design for this pot and you don't need the stove or a caddy, you may be able to get them to reduce the price a little.
According to the website, they're away on vacation at the moment, but they're normally very good about responding to emails IME. I suggest you write to them and ask.

KEN LARSON
(KENLARSON) - MLife

Locale: Western Michigan
Person to check this out with at Trail Designs on 09/12/2013 10:11:27 MDT Print View

Brittany, Rand Lindsly... is the person that will give you the straight "scoop" on your inquiry.

Has returned from his recent adventure.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: Person to check this out with at Trail Designs on 09/12/2013 10:54:56 MDT Print View

Rand will certainly help you. He has offered to do this in the past, at least. his is one thing a manufacturor offers over a MYOG, he knows his products and what he can adapt them to easily. Good people at Trail Designs...

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Person to check this out with at Trail Designs on 09/12/2013 18:00:08 MDT Print View

Rand at Trail Designs has refused to include the Fire Pot in their line of pots. They will not sell directly the Ti Cone that is custom made for it even though I authorize the use of my dimensions etc. They gave no reason for the decision.

By early next week I should have a viable Titanium windscreen that will work well with the Fire Pot.