Forum Index » Chaff » Shaming a hiker? ( high flame danger)

Display Avatars Sort By:
Yuri R
(Yazon) - F
Shaming a hiker? ( high flame danger) on 08/25/2013 23:04:46 MDT Print View

Hi all,
So we just got back from PCT/JMT trip. At Garnet lake, right after the bridge a hiker who passed us while we were taking pictures on the bridge decided to do his #2 in between the trail and the lake (south side).

For those who don't know there area - there is about 10 feet between the two with very sparse vegetation. He was about 5-6 feet away from the trail and 4-5 from the lake. He was plainly visible from the trail!

I'm the type of person who prefers to do right, but not necessarily correcting others, so I said nothing (perhaps a mistake, but alas - what done is done). I know that he is doing entire JMT and is from La Jolla (San Diego County), California. He is about 60-65 years old and is possibly a forum member here judging by some of the gear he had (Six Moon Design pack, light shoes, etc).

I have a picture of the person taken on the trail after he passed us during rest. You can see him from the back, so no face. Question is - should I post the picture here so (maybe) he finds this thread and notices his picture or even possibly someone recognizes him in this blurry image taken from the back?

James Couch
(JBC) - M

Locale: Cascade Mountains
No. on 08/25/2013 23:19:27 MDT Print View

No.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Shaming a hiker? ( high flame danger) on 08/25/2013 23:19:43 MDT Print View

You missed your opportunity when you had him with his pants down. Won't accomplish anything at this point.

Me. I would have posted the picture before asking if I should.

I also would have photographed him doing his deed. How often does that opportunity come up?

Would make a great PSA poster. Don't be this guy.

Edited by kthompson on 08/25/2013 23:23:39 MDT.

Peter S
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
No on 08/26/2013 15:24:31 MDT Print View

Had your chance IRL.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Shaming a hiker? ( high flame danger) on 08/26/2013 16:42:26 MDT Print View

I'm trying to figure out who the perp is based on responses : )

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Shaming a hiker? ( high flame danger) on 08/26/2013 22:18:50 MDT Print View

Well, at least he did it off the trail and not in the middle of the trail, covered by a t-shirt. (True story of thew nasty things we have encountered...)

Sometimes ya gotta go...

And honestly, get over it. Thankfully it is one thing that will go away by next summer ;-)

Ian Van Halen
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Shaming a hiker? ( high flame danger) on 08/26/2013 22:59:31 MDT Print View

This same question came up regarding a BPL member who was modifying a bear canister.

No. Of course not. If you didn't have the stones to confront him then then don't behave cowardly by doing it through a computer.

Edit: My apologies. Long day of people pissing me off and this came across a little edgy. I still don't agree with the idea of shaming people. I think sharing your story serves well to educate people as to why this is a problem and that what he did will likely contaminate the water.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 08/27/2013 08:22:45 MDT.

Yuri R
(Yazon) - F
Shaming a hiker? ( high flame danger) on 08/27/2013 22:05:31 MDT Print View

It's not that i don't have the balls to confront him, but at first i thought "what if he had a medical condition and couldn't make it far of the trail"...I didn't want to accuse someone without giving it some though first, but then nothing i could think of would have been a good excuse.

And as far as it being gone by next year - it wouldn't help the person getting water downstream out of Garnet by the bridge. It sickens me to think that someone could be so ignorant of not just basic rules, but health of other people.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Shaming a hiker? ( high flame danger) on 08/28/2013 13:54:45 MDT Print View

True on water contamination..but just realize that of all the fecal matter in water, little is human - the animals do it all the time by or in the water.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Shaming a hiker? ( high flame danger) on 08/28/2013 17:23:21 MDT Print View

"It sickens me to think that someone could be so ignorant of not just basic rules, but health of other people."

I hate to disillusion you, Yuri, but here in "The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave", the link between freedom and responsibility has grown very tenuous. :(

It remains to be seen how much longer we will retain the former if the trend continues much longer.

Ian Van Halen
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Shaming a hiker? ( high flame danger) on 08/29/2013 09:31:58 MDT Print View

"the link between freedom and responsibility has grown very tenuous."

Truer words never spoken.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Shaming a hiker? ( high flame danger) on 08/31/2013 20:42:43 MDT Print View

@ Yuri:

At this point, I suggest that you stick to your earlier thought: ""what if he had a medical condition and couldn't make it far off the trail". It's better for your own sanity; and heck, it might just be true??

Edited by ben2world on 09/01/2013 18:25:09 MDT.

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Shaming a hiker? ( high flame danger) on 08/31/2013 23:03:55 MDT Print View

No. It's unethical to post a picture of anyone without their permission. And if you choose to post their picture, to claim they dropped a deuce and left it trailside is libel. Unless you have a picture of them dropping the deuce, which I wouldn't think you could post here without violating community standards. I would leave it alone.

Some people are just nasty.

You could have gone back and bagged it up for him....

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: As always on 08/31/2013 23:13:42 MDT Print View

I should include this in my posts more often

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Shaming a hiker? ( high flame danger) on 01/08/2014 14:28:00 MST Print View

Since Chaff is excluded from the main recent thread view, I missed this precious thread. I'm 4 months late to the topic, but since I'm at work, sure why not.

When I see someone let their dog go #2 on my front yard without picking it up, I call them on it "Hey are you going to leave that?" the typical reply is that they don't have a dog poo bag. Of course I happen to provide one immediately.
If they don't comply, then I threaten to take a photo and call the hot fuzz Sylvester Stalone "I am the Law" judge Dred.

but on the trail it's different somehow. I expect the person to bury, cover and hide the captain's log.

Speaking out, versus expected outcome.
Can't just insult the person, you need to convince them to change behavior.
Assess the odds of changing someone's behavior.
Their age and their gear type implies someone with a specific mindset.
Is that person mentally insane, armed, high on drugs? will you continue running into them for the next few days make the trail a terror?

You can also approach with comedy, usually works better than confrontation.
Compliment instead of insult:
"That's a prize winner! must be at least 8.5 Curic"
South Park reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_Crap

"Whoa Buddy! help us keep the Lock ness monster out of the lake"

"Gotta hurry and bury the Frankenstein monster before it comes back to life!"

You might get compliance that way, or start carrying a gun and get medieval on his a..

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Re: Shaming a hiker? ( high flame danger) on 01/08/2014 15:05:23 MST Print View

Roger Dodger,

"Captain's log?"

That's a new one for me. Pretty funny.

My fantasy is that Serial Mom (movie) would come along and deal with the guy.

justice

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Re: Shaming a hiker? ( high flame danger) on 01/08/2014 20:37:01 MST Print View

"If they don't comply, then I threaten to take a photo and call the hot fuzz Sylvester Stalone "I am the Law" judge Dred.

Two words: Poo Slingshot!