Trip Ideas
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sean Monahan
(Zvolen) - F

Locale: CA Central Valley
Trip Ideas on 08/25/2013 14:42:04 MDT Print View

So I plan to take my girlfriend, while she has been before it means we wont be doing a huge long distance trip, lets say 5-10 miles. I am looking for some spots that are no more than 1 1/2 hours out of the Clovis/Fresno area. I hope to leave this coming Sat. so permits may be an issue and hikes not requiring one would be preferred, as well as bear canisters since we don't have.

Any ideas? if you need more detail just let me know. Thanks

Sean Monahan
(Zvolen) - F

Edit on 08/25/2013 14:51:37 MDT Print View

Sorry, I should mention we are leaving Sat morning then coming home Sunday afternoon, so 5-10 miles in and 5-10 miles out is fine.

Paul Wagner
(balzaccom) - F

Locale: Wine Country
Fresno? on 08/25/2013 17:58:44 MDT Print View

Then you are quite close to Dinkey Lakes, Jennie Lake, and SEKI...all of which offer wonderful backpacking trips of the type you are seeking. We have some on our website...but really, you live in an ideal location for these!

backpackthesierra.com

Sean Monahan
(Zvolen) - F

Trip Ideas on 09/03/2013 22:20:32 MDT Print View

I took a look at the site, excellent resource we recently did the Dinkey Lakes )Mystery Lake/Swede Lake) but I didn't like the drive; the last 21 miles of that is slow rough terrain. Do you have any destinations that are easier to get to, any suggestions?

Jeff Sims
(jeffreytsims) - MLife

Locale: So. Cal
Twin Lakes on 09/03/2013 23:38:19 MDT Print View

I am not sure if the area burned up but Twin Lakes is a great short hike (I think the first lake is 4 miles) it starts at Badger Flats Camp ground just above Huntington lake lake. I took my dad here last year and he had a great time. call the ranger station in Prather and check it out. If it did not burn I plan on taking my 8 year old next year after the thaw

See the pics

http://s62.photobucket.com/user/abbaman/library/twin%20lake%20solo?sort=3&page=1

or

http://s62.photobucket.com/user/abbaman/library/twin%20with%20pop?sort=3&page=1

Best,

Jeff

Edited by jeffreytsims on 09/04/2013 00:01:54 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Twin Lakes on 09/03/2013 23:58:40 MDT Print View

"it starts at Badger Flats Camp ground just above Shaver lake."

Actually, it is above Huntington Lake.

--B.G.--

Jeff Sims
(jeffreytsims) - MLife

Locale: So. Cal
Huntington lake on 09/04/2013 00:00:55 MDT Print View

Good catch, you are correct. I was slackin for not looking it up. great short hike though...