Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Bear learns how to crack Garcia cans at Yosemite
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re Re Bear learns how to crack Garcia cans at Yosemite on 09/05/2013 18:24:45 MDT Print View

I think the term they use is "prohibited."

Black bears in Yosemite aren't nearly as dangerous as grizzly bears in Yellowstone, for which bear spray is appropriate. They normally run away from people, and a well-thrown rock often completes that job.

--B.G.--

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Bear spray PROHIBITED in Yosemite??? on 09/05/2013 19:27:33 MDT Print View

WTF - REALLY?

I carried a big canister of bear spray with me in Yosemite from White Wolf up the Tuolmne to the Meadows and so did some of my hiking buddies and no ranger said a word!

I will frikikin' ABSOLUTELY carry bear spray in ANY bear country, even if I have to hide it in a front pouch.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Bear spray PROHIBITED in Yosemite??? on 09/05/2013 19:53:35 MDT Print View

"No weapons"
They must consider bear spray a weapon.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Bear spray PROHIBITED in Yosemite??? on 09/05/2013 19:55:43 MDT Print View

In Yosemite, there are no grizzly bears, therefore there is no need for bear spray.

Rangers may have seen it hanging on a belt, but they figure that it wasn't worth the hassle of saying anything about it, or else some California Democrat may have complained to a congressman.

In California, bear spray is sold at some REI stores, and that seems like a real marketing ploy for REI.

--B.G.--

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
That Bear is a Hero on 09/06/2013 07:30:22 MDT Print View

"Who do we thank, Yogi?"

Yogi and Boo-boo enjoy a snack!

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
That Bear is a Hero on 09/06/2013 08:54:56 MDT Print View

That's great! :)
Duane

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

The People's Republic of California... on 09/07/2013 12:58:05 MDT Print View

I'll bet the USFS and Park Service did this ban in response to some tie-dyed California Uber Liberals' campaign. They need to concentrate on their crystals and spiritual "vortexes" and stay the hell out of backpacking matters.

I'm a former Peace Corps Volunteer, two time Obama campaign worker and Sierra Club member so my creds as a "Liberale" are up to snuff. (Never mind my NRA membership.;o)

But this nannying has now gone too far. Black bears DO attack people. I'll pay a fine if necessary for the comfort of being relatively safer, thank you very much.

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
"Bear learns how to crack Garcia cans at Yosemite" on 09/07/2013 17:07:19 MDT Print View

Eric, I totally support your right to carry bear spray in the back country of Yosemite. That said, I've been hiking there for over 25 years and I can't imagine ever needing bear spray. And I've had plenty of bear encounters.

Umm, maybe there's a reasonable explanation for the ban? I don't know, maybe too many instances of drunken campers in the valley blinding children with bear spray? Things like that...more damage inflicted than is warranted by the very small risk of a bear attack. (Has there ever been a bear attack at Yosemite Valley?) Bears wander through crowded campgrounds every evening; people who don't know what they're doing spraying bear spray all around could be a hazard. But that's just a guess.

I think that tie dye and crystals went out after Silicon Valley became the official brand of California...now we rail against the coffee swilling technobrats...

Edited by book on 09/07/2013 19:51:20 MDT.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re People's Republic of California on 09/07/2013 17:42:31 MDT Print View

I did find where Yosemite specifically bans the stuff, no explanation given. I'd love to know the rational (or lack thereof).

Look at how dumb this rule is

1. I can carry a gun (with a CHL) but even with a CHL I can't have non-lethal bear spay. Huh, I can have a lethal weapon but not a non-lethal one?

2. I can drive a car past preschoolers but I'm considered too dumb to handle a can of bear spray.

3. I can buy a hunting license and run around the National Forest land just outside the park with a high powered rifle capable of killing a man half a mile away, but I'm still too dumb to safely carry bear spray.

4. Millions of people in other states carry bear spray and pepper spray (and fully lethal handguns for that matter) with minimal problems but for some reason we can't have them in Yosemite and SEKI.

This "Big Brother knows best" is the kind of thinking caused me to leave CA as quickly as I could. I also quite taking jobs in New York state. It not just bear spray, its hundreds of little ways people who don't know me try and control me for my own good.

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
Bear learns how to crack Garcia cans at Yosemite" on 09/07/2013 18:21:37 MDT Print View

"This "Big Brother knows best" is the kind of thinking caused me to leave CA as quickly as I could. I also quite taking jobs in New York state...."

So it's a win-win-win. What a great country!

Edited by book on 09/07/2013 18:23:51 MDT.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Win-win-win on 09/07/2013 18:34:55 MDT Print View

Yeah I think the folks in New York got tired of saying "No Luke we can't do that here."

I did have some great friends in both states and they are both nice places. I just didn't fit in, everything I tried to do had a rule involved.

Now I'm in West Texas and I love it, friendly people, good local government and I'm not that far from the mountains.

Edited by Cameron on 09/07/2013 18:52:43 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Win-win-win on 09/07/2013 19:34:39 MDT Print View

"Now I'm in West Texas and I love it, friendly people, good local government and I'm not that far from the mountains."

Let us once again celebrate diversity. It is one of the great strengths of this country that darn near everyone can find a place where they're comfortable.

Even me. ;0)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Re: Win-win-win on 09/07/2013 19:45:53 MDT Print View

Let us once again celebrate diversity. It is one of the great strengths of this country that darn near everyone can find a place where they're comfortable.

+1

I had to leave the East. Born, raised, then ran

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Re Re win, win, win on 09/07/2013 21:23:33 MDT Print View

Really Ken you fled the east? What ran you off? Or was it the mountains?

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

"Now I'm in west Texas..." on 09/08/2013 14:04:28 MDT Print View

Hee hee,

And now I'M in Nevada, not that Pennsylvania was all that bad as far as regulations go.

But here in Nevada I don't have to worry that my PS90 carbine magazines have a 50 round capability or that the total length is 1.5" less than the PR of CA permits, even though it meets Federal requirements!

Yeah, I know this is one of the least socially responsible states and our K- 12 public education ranks 50 out of 50 in the US, meaning BELOW Mississippi. That bothers me but the general freedoms I enjoy are nice. I assuage my guilt over state weaknesses by giving generously to the Salvation Army and local Food Bank.

Amd I do carry bear spray in our mountains here for protection from the "odd" mountain lion. No bears in s. Nevada.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Yosemite bears and bear spray on 09/08/2013 14:21:21 MDT Print View

Hasn't been any fatalities in Yosemite and in one case humans actually scared a mother bear in abandoning her cub, so that subspecies might be a bit more chicken than other groups of black bears. Hence no need for bear spray.

Also the fact that a guest doused one of the park's hotels in bear spray, causing a nighttime evacuation and a HAZMAT incident until they could identify the chemical did not help.

http://www.backpacker.com/bear_spray_yosemite_hotel/blogs/daily_dirt/1247

There's a reason they are called "tourons".