Forum Index » GEAR » New REI warranty, few questions about it......

Display Avatars Sort By:
eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
guarantee on 08/22/2013 22:11:55 MDT Print View

Eddie was one of the first retailers to offer an unconditional guarantee in writing-he was that confident and committed to the quality of his products. And after 50 years in business he said, "My greatest contribution to the consumer was our 100% unconditional lifetime guarantee. That guarantee was part of what I sold." Eddie's philosophy guides us to this day. Every product we sell is designed to be the best and built to last. If anything you buy falls short of those standards, you're invited to return it at any time.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?sectionId=240

At Outdoor Research, our mission is to provide innovation and inspiration for the relentless adventurer.
Outdoor Research products are Designed By Adventure™ and from this, we deliver the hallmark of all our products – beautiful, functional gear that works and lasts. By placing quality first, we can offer the finest guarantee in the industry for each and every product – the Outdoor Research Infinite Guarantee™.
We believe so strongly in the quality of the apparel and gear we make that if our product fails to meet your needs at any time, we are happy to replace it. Our products are guaranteed forever, and your total satisfaction with our product is our goal.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/warranty/

Brand new OR down jacket arrived two days ago, and I just came home to feathers everywhere.

The good news is that Outdoor Research said they would still cover it under their infinite guarantee.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2232975;

companies can and do run successful business with UNLIMITED NO QUESTIONS ASKED WARRANTIES ....

i have no hesitation buying from those, and retailers like MEC, that honor such ... i actually spend MORE money there than otherwise ... its a RISK FREE purchase

;)

alex hansen
(holden425) - F
dog ate it? on 08/22/2013 22:38:43 MDT Print View

If you returned a jacket because your dog ate it, thats kinda sad. No company should have to replace that.

Trace Richardson
(tracedef) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Online Retailers on 08/22/2013 22:40:24 MDT Print View

This will sound like a repeat of what I said in another REI thread, but I've been in the return line a few times recently and have seen a definite change in how they're handling returns, even under a year ... have seen a few people have to fight for what seemed to me to be legit returns.... in any case, the attitude behind the counter in a few scenarios I've seen is significantly different ...

Now that the return policy has changed, I'm finding that it's hard not to stay away from superior online pricing .... especially when you throw in Amazon Prime free two day delivery .... I love REI but am finding myself spending much more elsewhere these days, the value proposition that justified their higher prices just isn't there any longer, imho .... even with 10% coming back in a dividend, they often get smoked on price online ... now always, but quite often .... My hope is that they will bring their prices a little more in line with their competitors and things will balance out a bit ....

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
Re: dog ate it? on 08/23/2013 00:38:16 MDT Print View

If you returned a jacket because your dog ate it, thats kinda sad. No company should have to replace that.

they WANT to replace it ... thats how good their service is ...

;)

John Holmes
(jcholmes)

Locale: SouthEastern US
Remember when you were taught "You Get What You Pay For"? on 08/23/2013 06:41:52 MDT Print View

Companies are successful for many different reasons. One reason is that they build high quality stuff and stand behind it. These are the types of companies from whom I buy gear. Good examples are OR, Cascade (MSR, Thermarest, SealLine, Platypus...), Tarptent, MLD, etc, etc, etc. There is no shortage of companies that deserve your business precisely because they offer superior products and service at a "fair" (i.e. "you get what you pay for") price.

Then there are companies that make a fine living thank-you-very-much selling inexpensive, or "adequate", products to those on a budget. Again, that is perfectly fine, but...wait for it...You Get What You Pay For.

I'm not sure how I feel about REI changing it's policy, nor am I sure that it affects honest people asking to return defective or unsuitable merchandise in good condition for good reason. Any company doing business via mail-order has to expect that people willing to buy products sight unseen (and untested) will also expect to be able to return them for good cause. I seriously doubt that REI will change their behavior in those instances. Not allowing someone to return a product that is clearly (well) used or abused is a business practice that I find quite reasonable.

Finally, here is something else my Mom taught me: "You make your decisions, and live with the consequences!". Personally, I spend my money on quality (gear, service, attitude, ...), every time, and am quite certain that in doing so I am both saving money in the long run and enjoying my gear more.

Edited by jcholmes on 08/23/2013 06:44:27 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: dog ate it? on 08/23/2013 06:47:51 MDT Print View

"they WANT to replace it ... thats how good their service is ..."

Not a sustainable model, especially with the younger generations of "entitlement" zombies. It raises the cost of doing business that results in higher prices that is absorbed by customers who do not abuse the policy.

It doesn't matter anyway. These stores are becoming upscale Yuppie clothing botiques.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
"New REI warranty, few questions about it......" on 08/23/2013 10:11:25 MDT Print View

"If you returned a jacket because your dog ate it, thats kinda sad. No company should have to replace that."
---
I completely agree. This is the type of abuse that led REI to change their policy. I don't care if their policy covers it or not, that's not what the warranty was for and you know it.

As an aside, I've noticed most people who are saying they won't shop at REI any more pretty much admit they started buying elsewhere (Amazon, etc) prior to the change in REI's policy. So what are you complaining for anyway?

Edited by EagleRiverDee on 08/23/2013 10:12:46 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: "New REI warranty, few questions about it......" on 08/23/2013 11:23:25 MDT Print View

I bought two packs from them earlier this year and at the time I was told I could return one or both if they did not work out.

I called Customer Service yesterday and they said they would take them back no problem.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Part of the problem on 08/23/2013 11:34:57 MDT Print View

If you return the jacket because your dog ruined it then you are part of the problem. You are taking advantage of their warranty. If enough people take advantage of them they will have to change it, just like REI had to. It is wrong to take advantage of someone's (even an institution) generosity.

Be part of the solution instead of part of the problem. Do the right thing...

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: dog ate it? on 08/23/2013 11:38:08 MDT Print View

Not a sustainable model, especially with the younger generations of "entitlement" zombies. It raises the cost of doing business that results in higher prices that is absorbed by customers who do not abuse the policy.

It doesn't matter anyway. These stores are becoming upscale Yuppie clothing botiques.

OR has had that policy for many many years .... so have many others with such policies ... OR gear costs no more than other "yuppie" brands with less generous return policies

MEC actually LOWERS prices in canada ... youll notice much of the gear at the same or below american prices despite a weaker canadian dollar and the additional costs of doing business here ... one of the biggest "complaints" about it is that they offer a total warranty, and that they lower prices ... which many smaller stores have problem doing ... its a free market

id hardly call OR clothing yuppie ... people dont generally wear it to look cool ... theres always dead bird, patagucci and TNF for that

;)

alex hansen
(holden425) - F
Re: Re: "New REI warranty, few questions about it......" on 08/23/2013 11:42:36 MDT Print View

"I called Customer Service yesterday and they said they would take them back no problem."

in laymans terms, the new policy just means that you have 1 year to figure out if you like and want to keep a product (which is beyond reasonable)
if after a year, a product breaks or wears out within the lifetime of that product, REI will still take care of it.
the change in policy really only affects those who take advantage of the system.

so no worries!

David McBride
(VintageGent) - F

Locale: Galveston TX
OR Warranty on 08/24/2013 08:03:42 MDT Print View

A pair of OR gaiters I owned recently bit the dust due to some errant crampon points. Lifetime warranty or not, there was absolutely no way I was going to return these. Expecting fabric to hold up to a metal spike being jammed into it is beyond the pale.