Forum Index » GEAR » Cloudburst 3 vs. Anjan 3

Display Avatars Sort By:
J C
(Joomy) - M
Cloudburst 3 vs. Anjan 3 on 08/22/2013 07:56:54 MDT Print View

Anyone had experience with both of these? Any comments? Seems to me the cloudburst should be able to do everything the Anjan does, with the optional extra pole and liner, for a similar weight, but with the option of going much lighter for warmer weather. But then the Anjan is probably slightly more refined and probably better in wind (or maybe not?).

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Re: Cloudburst 3 vs. Anjan 3 on 08/22/2013 09:18:48 MDT Print View

for what it's worth, these guys make a business of reviewing outdoor gear, and they picked the Anjan2 as the best backpacking shelter. The Cloudburst3 hadn't come out yet when they published their article Jan 14, 2013. See their review of the 26 best backpacking shelters at:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Tent-Reviews

They also chose it as the top shelter in their Dream Backpacking Gear List of August 14, 2013.

HTTP://WWW.OUTDOORGEARLAB.COM/A/11136/DREAM-BACKPACKING-GEAR-LIST

"Dream Backpacking Gear List

by Max Neale ⋅ Review Editor, OutdoorGearLab
Friday August 9, 2013 4:08pm

Here we aim to synthesize OutdoorGearLab's backpacking related product testing efforts and present an up-to-date dream list of the best available backpacking gear. There are many different ways to backpack. The items below aim to maximize comfort on "hiking-inspired" and "crossover" trips, where one walks for the majority of the day.

Legend
1 = If we were to have one item in this category we would choose this product.
BB = Best bang for your buck.
UL= Best choice for long days or steep terrain where having a light pack is important.
SUL = For the tag trimming, sleeping bag sharing, fast and light thru-hikers.

Tent
1: Hilleberg Anjan 2
BB: Mountain Laurel Designs Grace Tarp (silnylon)
UL: Hyperlite Mountain Gear Echo II
SUL: ZPacks Hexamid Twin Tent w/ screen + extended beak"

J C
(Joomy) - M
Yeah on 08/26/2013 04:07:37 MDT Print View

Hi, Bob.

Yes the Outdoorgearlab review is one of the reasons I am torn. The really, really like the Anjan and make it sound like the bee knee's but the Cloudburst to me seems to be a little more versatile. But I have a feeling that the materials and build quality of the Anjan are probably a little superior (could be wrong). I'm leaning towards the Cloudburst but would love hear more from people who have used one or the other.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: Lartnec Nagihcim
Re: Yeah on 08/26/2013 07:04:13 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by stephenm on 08/28/2013 12:10:41 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Yeah on 08/26/2013 07:04:53 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/30/2013 12:40:31 MDT.

J C
(Joomy) - M
well... on 08/28/2013 11:34:30 MDT Print View

Apart from that single Trailspace review I've heard nothing but superlatives about the Anjan.

Sean Smith
(Spookykinkajou) - F
hilleberg vs tarptent on 08/28/2013 11:56:33 MDT Print View

I can't help with those two particular models but can offer a small bit of insight into the two brands.

I owned, briefly, a double rainbow and currently use a Hilleberg Rogen 2p for backpacking duties.

the quality of construction is incomparable. Hilleberg wins by a long shot. Even my Coleman Evanston 6p (with screen!) for car camping is sewn better than the Double Rainbow I received.

I bought the Rogen over the Anjan because of it's length and double doors. It's a fantastic tent. I hated the price but am over that now and dont think I'll need any other tent any day soon.

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: hilleberg vs tarptent on 08/28/2013 12:08:16 MDT Print View

Sean, you've said that a couple of times on these forums and even generated a return order for the DR but then never returned it. I see now that you never ordered one from us so not sure where you got it but we would have been happy to exchange it for you had you asked.

-H

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: well... on 08/28/2013 12:13:29 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/30/2013 12:41:16 MDT.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Double Rainbow on 08/28/2013 12:16:25 MDT Print View

You could always send me that poorly sewn rainbow. ;) PM me for my address...

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Double Rainbow on 08/28/2013 12:20:27 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/30/2013 12:41:48 MDT.

Sean Smith
(Spookykinkajou) - F
Re: Re: hilleberg vs tarptent on 08/28/2013 12:24:20 MDT Print View

I sold it on this forum for a small loss instead of dealing with returning it as the loss in shipping and wait for $ would've made it difficult to purchase the Rogen in time for my trip.

I had no interest in an exchange after seeing how poorly constructed it was. As I mentioned in a previous post my wife is the one who noticed all the construction issues. I tried to defend it at first since I had put so much time and effort before picking your tent, but it was hard to do so after she pointed out all the flaws.

frankly, I don't get the love it receives on this forum. I get the whole cottage thing, made in the USA, and I prefer it which is why I ordered your tent to begin with but if that means strings hanging all over, crooked stitching, not waterproof unless paying extra...i just dont get it.

copied from my email dated march 11 this year:

Thank you for your Tarptent order [327271]

Qty Price Item
---------------------------------
1 @ $305.00 153 Double Rainbow (Breathable liner: 1)

Subtotal: $305.00
CA Sales Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $18.00
Order Total: $323.00

Edited by Spookykinkajou on 08/28/2013 12:26:05 MDT.

Trace Richardson
(tracedef) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: hilleberg vs tarptent on 08/28/2013 12:32:20 MDT Print View

@Henry Shires: Calling out people as to whether or not they purchased an item is unnecessary .... Spookykinkajou seems to have simply been sharing his experience .... I'm willing to take him at his word on his experience / opinion without needing him to validate with proof of purchase....

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: hilleberg vs tarptent on 08/28/2013 12:46:37 MDT Print View

Ah ok, looks like it was ordered by a family member in another state for you. In any event, if we missed some thread trimming and stitch inspection then, again, we would have been happy to exchange or refund.

-H

EDiT: Trace, not calling anyone out but a return was ordered and then never carried out. We never received a call or email with any kind of query about quality or request for resolution about a defective product.

Edited by 07100 on 08/28/2013 12:51:12 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: hilleberg vs tarptent on 08/28/2013 14:42:25 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/30/2013 12:42:20 MDT.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Cloudburst 3 vs. Anjan 3 on 08/28/2013 15:52:00 MDT Print View

A little bit more on the Anjan.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=66403

I am in the process of making exactly this same decision as you. Tending towards the Cloudburst myself for the following reasons:

1. Cost.
2. It will probably only be used a few times each year and in the summer.
3. Just cant get my head around paying that much money for a Hilleberg and it not being a completely bomber set up:).
4. Despite reading about one other quality control issue quality with a Tarptent I think they are very clever designs. I still have and use my 10 year old Squall 2 (single pole at the front). On my summer father and son summer trips we have a roomy 2 person bug proof shelter up in minutes.

greg c
(spindrifter) - F
Post Purchase Experience on 08/28/2013 15:53:50 MDT Print View

In the context above it appears he is speaking of the experience post-purchase. Ie, evaluating the tent construction quality, etc., after receipt. That seems like a valid point to which he is able to offer an opinion. I too scrutinize products I receive before use and if they do not satisfy my own quality criteria, I take re-mediating action.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Post Purchase Experience on 08/28/2013 16:19:30 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/30/2013 12:42:53 MDT.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Cloudburst 3 vs. Anjan 3 on 08/28/2013 16:24:57 MDT Print View

I would also want to know how the buyer feels now that he purchased an apparent quality nightmare.

Have to say that thought did cross my mind :).

Sean Smith
(Spookykinkajou) - F
Quality on 08/28/2013 17:18:40 MDT Print View

The buyer seemed pleased initially upon receipt.

I don't think it was a quality nightmare, but it did not meet my standards for a $300+ tent.

James Klein
(jnklein21) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: Post Purchase Experience on 08/28/2013 19:23:18 MDT Print View

Interesting find David. I noticed he makes no mention of the poor construction quality in the FS ad...should either give you pause in wanting to purchase something from him or make you think twice about his evaluation.

I have noticed no construction issues in my TT moment -- though maybe I just have really low standards.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: Post Purchase Experience on 08/28/2013 19:46:51 MDT Print View

A hipster moment if there ever was one.

"Tarp Tent is soooo mainstream and lowbrow. I just bought a new tent from some obscure company you've probably never heard of."

Edited by IDBLOOM on 08/28/2013 19:47:36 MDT.

Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Locale: Colorado
Back to the original post... on 08/28/2013 23:08:39 MDT Print View

I have an Anjan 2 and absolutely love it - it has become my go to shelter. Excellent construction, and has done extremely well in all the conditions I have had it in (from the dry Rocky Mountain West to the Olympic Peninsula). I can only imagine that the Anjan 3 would perform as well.

And while I did see the one negative review posted on trailspace, I haven't had any of the issues mentioned in that review (even in moderate to heavy rain).

Edited by aaronufl on 08/28/2013 23:11:53 MDT.

J C
(Joomy) - M
Re: Re: well... on 08/31/2013 05:38:19 MDT Print View

"Jeremy, if you have heard nothing but superlatives about the Anjan, then why are you posting the question? Buy it."

Hi Dave,

Helpful as ever I see. I am posting the question because I have heard great things about BOTH tents and can only afford ONE. Can you grasp that?

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: well... on 08/31/2013 07:48:40 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/30/2013 12:43:36 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: Lartnec Nagihcim
Re: Re: Re: Re: well... on 08/31/2013 09:42:51 MDT Print View

Dave,

Well said, I myself use Hillebergs in Winter and a Tarptent for 3 season.

Edit: Did recently pick up a used Golite Sl3 for using with my Mrs or Buddy.

Edited by stephenm on 08/31/2013 10:01:36 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: well... on 08/31/2013 09:45:45 MDT Print View

Another Hilleberg in winter, something much less for 3 season user.

J C
(Joomy) - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: well... on 09/02/2013 08:09:35 MDT Print View

"The comparison is a bit strange. One tent is half the price of the other and much less weight. The Cloudburst also as vertical ends...if you use a long sleeping bag you will hit the sloping end of the Anjan. The Cloudburst has as more usable space. The Cloudburst can be had with an optional 3rd pole making it more suitable for truly poor conditions....including snow."

All excellent points, which is why I'm leaning Tarptent as I said. Money's always an issue but if something is twice as good, or even just definitely "better" (which it is now clear the Anjan is not) I am not opposed to paying ~double for it. However I don't think the comparison is strange at all, especially considering Jason's comment "I am in the process of making exactly this same decision as you."

Edited by Joomy on 09/02/2013 08:19:03 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: well... on 09/02/2013 16:21:09 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/30/2013 12:40:01 MDT.

J C
(Joomy) - M
CB3 on 10/28/2013 23:30:31 MDT Print View

Well I went for the CB3 and it arrived today. I set it up but forgot pics so they will have to come later. Initial impressions are that it is exactly what I was expecting. Sewing on the major seams is excellent although some of the attachment points have pretty sloppy stitching which detracts from the look of it as a whole, but won't affect performance.

Some observations:

-It is spacious, easy to set up and adjust, packed size and weight is very close to my friend's 1p Hubba which is awesome.

-It's only JUST long enough for me at 6'4. My feet just touch the mesh with my head right at the other end but since it is only mesh at the doors it shouldn't be much of an issue and because it's so wide I can always sleep diagonal if only sharing with one other.

-I still can't figure out how to clip the side walls up for ventilation as advertised. EDIT: After talking with Henry I finally figured it out. You have to fully unthread the exterior tensioning webbing and then the interior loops will reach the clips to hold the sides up.

-It is a little heavier than advertised: 1500g (53oz, on scales that read slightly under too) in the sack with 4 pegs, noticeably (to me) more than the advertised 49oz (1390g). The seam sealing would account for some of that extra weight so the real difference may only be ~60-70g but that's still a measurable difference and I'm not sure what would account for that. OK 100g is not a huge deal but it is a little disappointing nonetheless. Weight with the clip-in liner (also slightly heavier than spec at ~180g) and the third pole which I would use for winter conditions is just under 1900g, which is very close to the Anjan 3. But the Anjan 3 comes with 12 pegs and a repair kit.

-However the CB3 has 2 doors and more usable internal space than the Anjan, especially for tall people like me with the vertical from and back mesh walls.

Anyway I am still very happy with my choice. The design and construction quality are excellent overall and Henry was great to deal with, although there were a couple of delays and lost communications -- nothing severe but it did blow the total time from order to shipping date to about 2 months.CB3

Edited by Joomy on 10/30/2013 23:54:10 MDT.